General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers don't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wipers don't shut off

Ok, this has been a long standing problem. When the pavement is wet or it is raining, my wipers come on by themselves and will not shut off. I have to pull the fuse. Also, intermediate wiper control will not work. This may be a realated problem; the wiper washer will not pump fluid anymore. 97 Tacoma.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:22 AM

Your Wiper Motor Is Grounding Out "very Bad, Could Cause A Fire" You Need To Check Your Wires That Go To The Wiper Motor For The Probs With Wiper Delay & Washer Pump To See If The Wires Are Not Contacting Or Burnt/fused Together After Fixing Those Things Try To Seal The Wiper Motor Cover/wires With Silacone To Keep Water Out Of Wiper Motor Wire Contacts. Hope This Helps .worked For Mine."i Had Same Prob"
Old 12-03-2006, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by TOYZILLA
Your Wiper Motor Is Grounding Out "very Bad, Could Cause A Fire" You Need To Check Your Wires That Go To The Wiper Motor For The Probs With Wiper Delay & Washer Pump To See If The Wires Are Not Contacting Or Burnt/fused Together After Fixing Those Things Try To Seal The Wiper Motor Cover/wires With Silacone To Keep Water Out Of Wiper Motor Wire Contacts. Hope This Helps .worked For Mine."i Had Same Prob"
Thanks for the quick reply. Where was your short, or grounding out located?
Old 12-03-2006, 04:42 AM

Water Was The Grounding Factor. Water Getting In The Wiper Cover And Getting On The Wires/contacts To The Wiper Motor. Far As The washer pump/wiper Delay They Had Got Hot And Burnt Together.so I Rewirerd Them And Now Work.

Last edited by TOYZILLA; 12-03-2006 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nimrod
Ok, this has been a long standing problem. When the pavement is wet or it is raining, my wipers come on by themselves and will not shut off. I have to pull the fuse. Also, intermediate wiper control will not work. This may be a realated problem; the wiper washer will not pump fluid anymore. 97 Tacoma.
Well, it can be either the motor or the switch. And yes, fix the wipers, you will fix the intermittent. The motor has a power source which moves it to a park position when you remove power by shutting it off. But usually this circuit goes open with wear, not closed. If I had to make a guess, I'd condemn your wiper switch. But a quick test with a test light can help. Turn your wipers on, and with a testt light, poke around to the 3 blue wires going to the motor. One should blink as its operating.

Last edited by toyota_mdt_tech; 12-03-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
Well, it can be either the motor or the switch. And yes, fix the wipers, you will fix the intermittent. The motor has a power source which moves it to a park position when you remove power by shutting it off. But usually this circuit goes open with wear, not closed. If I had to make a guess, I'd condemn your wiper switch. But a quick test with a test light can help. Turn your wipers on, and with a testt light, poke around to the 3 blue wires going to the motor. One should blink as its operating. Here is a link to the factory EWD. I have it on my ISP, so download it and let me know, then I will remove it.
1997 Tacoma Wiper/Washer Wiring Diagram
Ok, thanks I saved it you can remove it when you are ready. It is not the switch. I replaced the switch at first and still had the problem. It has to be a short somewhere, and I think it is down by the washer pump, but I haven't figured where or how to get it out yet. I have heard that it is inside the resivor. I think that a wire is shorting as it gets wet from road spray. This should help me track it down. Is the wires to the pump connected to the front turn signal wire package by any chance?
Old 12-03-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nimrod
Ok, thanks I saved it you can remove it when you are ready. It is not the switch. I replaced the switch at first and still had the problem. It has to be a short somewhere, and I think it is down by the washer pump, but I haven't figured where or how to get it out yet. I have heard that it is inside the resivor. I think that a wire is shorting as it gets wet from road spray. This should help me track it down. Is the wires to the pump connected to the front turn signal wire package by any chance?
Washer pump should be unrelated. If the wiper motor runs when its off and no intermittent wipers and we can completetly eliminate the wiper switch (you replace dit already), I'd guess the 2 wires going into the wiper motor, pins labeld B and S+ or pins #6 and 5, that these two wires were connected (shorted) together, then it would make the motor run on, even when off. There is a little cam that runs a switch. I dont think the cam looks like the picture, but the flat cover on the motor, remove it and you may reveal a problem that can be fixed without having to replace the motor itself.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
Washer pump should be unrelated. If the wiper motor runs when its off and no intermittent wipers and we can completetly eliminate the wiper switch (you replace dit already), I'd guess the 2 wires going into the wiper motor, pins labeld B and S+ or pins #6 and 5, that these two wires were connected (shorted) together, then it would make the motor run on, even when off. There is a little cam that runs a switch. I dont think the cam looks like the picture, but the flat cover on the motor, remove it and you may reveal a problem that can be fixed without having to replace the motor itself.
I will check things out tomorrow on the motor. I failed to mention that when things are dry, or it just starts to rain before whatever gets wet, the wipers and intermittent works fine. When something gets wet it all goes to heck. I am going to assume that the washer pump is bad. How the heck to I take it out? I thought for sure the two problems were related, they seemed to have popped up at around the same time.