General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light and Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blue n white wire

Red wire with blue stripe is connected to the reverse taillight with solder so I am guessing that it should go to the engine fuse, and the other should go to the power source? Will have to further investigate the wiring today.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by muddmadness
Red wire with blue stripe is connected to the reverse taillight with solder so I am guessing that it should go to the engine fuse, and the other should go to the power source? Will have to further investigate the wiring today.
It is consistent with 22R-E wiring so don't be LOL!

However, follow schematic so

Engine fuse >> red wire >> back-up switch >> red with blu stripe >> back-up light housing/connector.

Other side of back-up light housing connector should have white wire with black stripe eventually going to ground on each side like here.

Name:  Hazards-Turn_zpsf9a08480.jpg
Views: 14931
Size:  81.6 KB
Old 02-06-2014, 08:52 AM

reverse lights fixed

I fixed the reverse lights yesterday, somehow the blue wire was hot and now its not. At the plug behind the passenger seat it goes from red and blue to solid blue. It is the original wiring it has 1980 stamped on it. Ran white wire to switch and then rewired from plug back to switch. They work properly again and we found out the switch works fine. I do have a question about the injector time switch wiring though. In the schematic for the 89 it shows a "green" wire that goes to the ECM and then a black that ties directly back into the green. Does that mean that the black is ground or does mean that it is a closed circuit? I don't want to fry the switch its brand new, but its obvious that it is not working by the way she starts. I will work on the fuel pump wiring today to so that I can get rid of ghetto wiring...
Old 02-06-2014, 08:59 AM

I fixed the reverse lights yesterday, somehow the blue wire was hot and now its not. At the plug behind the passenger seat it goes from red and blue to solid blue. It is the original wiring it has 1980 stamped on it...
Makes sense. See how much better it is when you understand "the flow", based on proper schematic even if wire color are mixed up?
just make sure you note this special wiring on your own schematic.

I do have a question about the injector time switch wiring though...
Sorry, haven't dealt with that before. I hope other members can comment

I will work on the fuel pump wiring today to so that I can get rid of ghetto wiring...
Cool!
Early 80's do not have EFI so you would have to modify.. Follow 22R-E schematic.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:39 PM

found the fuel pump issue

It is the circuit opening relay, after checking the schematic I found that the fuel pump and the EFI relays are connected which could explain her recent bad behavior while running. After starting up she would run really gutless spit and sputter and it happened out of the blue(no pun intended). It also explains why the EFI relay used to get hot....I think. Maybe now she will get a little better gas mileage too. Just for fun how do I test this relay before replacing it?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM

I have brake lights again!!!!!!!

I had to alter the wiring a bit for the fuel pump but it is working again and the brake light switch is installed and I have brake lights again. I had to add in some new wire to the plug for the switch and change out all of her fuses to the correct amperage, but now she can go for the brakes and then the state inspection
Old 02-12-2014, 01:42 PM

I had to alter the wiring a bit for the fuel pump but it is working again and the brake light switch is installed and I have brake lights again. I had to add in some new wire to the plug for the switch and change out all of her fuses to the correct amperage, but now she can go for the brakes and then the state inspection
Cool! Glad to hear that. Clean and robust restoration to stock feels good, huh?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:02 PM

Relieved for sure:)

It feels great, it was my first electrical restoration on any vehicle I have ever owned. I am very appreciative of all the help you and others in this forum have given me I couldn't and wouldn't have done it without the support I received at Yotatech. I am celebrating by hanging out inside out of the rain having a hot cup of Joe We don't have a nice comfy garage we ended up putting up a canopy over Tuesday, were looking at 2-3 weeks straight rain
Old 02-12-2014, 04:07 PM

...having a hot cup of Joe We don't have a nice comfy garage we ended up putting up a canopy over Tuesday, were looking at 2-3 weeks straight rain
Meaning more snow on Shasta? Where the heck is the "Like" button? LOL!

BTW, I hope you put a grommet on this opening (below), or at least more protection around the wires...

My cousin approaching Shasta's summit crag...
Old 02-13-2014, 02:34 PM

Wahooo Celebrate!!!!!!

Ok so every time I do work on Tuesday at the point of finish I always get the absolute case of nerves LOL...I know its silly but it happens every time like the first total engine build But I worked up the nerve and started her......she is purring like a Kitten I think all those ground wires and solid connection rebuilds totally did the trick. I didn't have to use starting fluid to get her started she cranked over in three crank totally cold...that felt great! The only mishap...I didn't push a fuse in far enough and it fell out...oops
And yes I put the grommet back in the hole, I don't need water and mud in the cab..lol.

We have an appointment Saturday to get her brakes done, now if I can just resolve her shifting issue.

PS thanks for the Shasta pic its so majestic up there Yep rain for us means lots of snow for Shasta and lots of wind for Weed

Last edited by muddmadness; 02-13-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Okay, so I'm having this same problem with my 1988 4Runner.

I have no dash lights, or running lights. But my headlights work, turning signals and indicators, reverse lights, etc. Just the running lights and dash lights for the speedo and such. I drive 100 miles a day and this is my daily until I get a Sabaru, so I'm trying to not get pulled over.

Also, might mention, I know literally nothing about electrical, thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by zayne_g
I have no dash lights, or running lights. But my headlights work, turning signals and indicators, reverse lights, etc. Just the running lights and dash lights for the speedo and such.
Also, might mention, I know literally nothing about electrical, thanks in advance.
Excellent description of the problem! A problem well-stated is almost solved.
Also good that you indicate your level of electrical expertise, so we can communicate in proper fashion.

Start with non-electricl troubleshooting. The best diagnostic tools are our senses (feel, hear, see, and smell- I hope not smoke - LOL!)
DOES TAIL LIGHT RELAY IN driver side click panel click when you turn on tail lights?
Name:  003B_Fuse_Relay_Panel_0001-Copy_zpsc1e9e2f5.jpg
Views: 19628
Size:  275.7 KB
Please report back.

The second best diagnostic tool is the volt-meter. If you feel comfortabe with it, follow this:
Name:  TailLights_Voltages_zpsnti98ora.png
Views: 16957
Size:  221.4 KB
Old 03-24-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Rad4Runner!

As always I went too in depth before trying the simple things first (cost me a couple weeks and $450 on my Jeep, but that's a Jeep for yah. )

I eventually found my manual and located the fuse responsible for the tail lights and dash lights, and it's right where your picture indicates. I simply replaced the fuse and they work again.

Thanks for the reply and advice! I'm replying in hopes of saving somebody a headache and a few bucks. Hopefully I can help somebody like myself who own a 28 year old vehicle and need advice. I'll upload pictures to further help out anonymous once it's dark enough.
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (02-04-2020)
Old 03-24-2016, 09:53 PM

Cool! Tnx for the update.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:21 PM

So happy to have it fixed!

Originally Posted by mainecrawler
A lesson learned. Just looking at the 15 amp fuse and determining that it is intact is not enough. Putting a tester on it is definitive. My problem was the fuse not the relay that I spent an hour to track down, Advanced Auto Parts comes through again. The Rock Auto relay should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully one of them will take the return, I'll just keep one on hand for friends or if I need it.
Minecrawler, I'm glad I read your post. I had the same issue and it was the same thing. I went back and looked at the fuse very closely and I could see a slight break in it. I replaced it and it solved the problem. My problem was that what I noticed as an issue was the dash lights. The manual didn't mention dash lights at all in the reference section. It listed tail lights, etc. It was only in coming to the forum that I found that the dash lights were connected as well. So I was going through the process of checking all fuses. Unfortunately, I had already ripped the dashboard apart and replaced the bulbs for the gauges. Oh well - at least I have new bulbs there - only cost 9 bucks and time

Thanks to all for the great info here.

Muddy