General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 Toyota 4x4 Pickup headlight Relay wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 Toyota 4x4 Pickup headlight Relay wiring

Hello Folks,

I am a newb. and I am having an issue with my 1982 4x4 pickup. My headlights don't work! I started looking around and saw that the wiring underneath the dashboard towards the floorboard is missing Actually, the headlight relays wiring has been cut and the relays are there but I don't know how to rewire or re run the wires to the headlight relays any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2018, 10:23 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Post some photos. If you don't already have one you are going to need a basic multimeter.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:59 PM

Thanks, I have a multimeter and will be posting some pics tonight.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:42 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Didn't think these trucks used relays that was negative switched through the light switched. Thus the need to run a relay harness to get best elect output to headlights.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:18 PM

Here are the pics. Relays seem to be located underneath the dashboard near driver steering column.The first pic shows that the relays wires seem to either be burnt or cut. The second pic shows where I believe that the relay wires went to and connected with, but Im not positive. Thanks for any help, information or solutions. MY 1982 4x4 Longbed
relays located under dash near steering column. Wires cut or burnt.
I removed 1 relay to take a closer look
relay harness
Headlight Relays?

This is where I believe the headlight relay wires ran to before they were burned or cut. I cant tell for sure though.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 PM

Looks like those were burnt and cut !

I can not get Google to play nice, Autozone repair guide website should have this wiring schematic.

What I can make out in your photos are two heavy guage wires one has a solid stripe one has hash marks (?) These will run to the headlight harness. The smaller wire will be to the headlight switch.

Put a meter on the relay while it is removed to test for continuity between the small wire and one of the larger wires and make a note, this will correspond with the ground wire.

Check the two large guage wires loose in the harness for a ground, and Mark it..

If that doesn't make since yet here is the basic idea..

Unplug the headlights, probe which wire's connect from the engine bay to under the dash (continuity check with meter). These will connect to the isolated pin on the relay (controlled side of relay).

Continuity check the switch wires to find out which is high and which is low beams.

Continuity check the larger guage wires under the dash to ground. These will connect to the paired side of the relay.

You may need to swap the relay control wires around depending how well you do the labels and following my rambling..

Someone may post the schematic but meh..
Old 03-14-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Cylindrical relays more likely taillight relay.
Please:
1) Put us in front of your truck and in the cabin, by clearly showing relays and wires coming out of the bottom of sockets, NEXT TO MATCHING IN BOTTOM OF RELAY. LABEL pin numbers if any.
2) IF there is diagram on relay take picture and share.
3) Google the relay apart numbers to verify so we can compare with schematic of 1983 truck (below).
4) If schematic are the same, rewire to restore to stock,
5) Troubleshoot headlight this way.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-14-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:04 PM

They used this three pin relay several times. One will be headlight the other tail/running light.

Ray can you show were the headlight relay is powered from please, in the schematic. Pretty sure it's right out of the distribution block..

So starting with identifying unknown wires. It is a good bet you can match up the color codes from the schematic, but much safer to verify these with your multimeter.

Pull the tail fuse. Probe for voltage on both sides, need to identify the unpowered side. Next trace the nonpowered side using ohm/continuity, one probe lead in fuse the other gets touched to the cut wires (it is probably red-yellow). Put a piece of masking tape as a label "from tail fuse".

Next is the light control switch tail(T) wire, it should be red-blue. One meter lead to ground, one to wire, check circuit closes when light switch operated to first position. Label as T..

Next is the power wire to the running lamps, it should be green. Pull a convenient lamp and probe from the center pin to under the dash. Mark this wire "lamps".

One more probe test of the relay to identify the pins. I think it's power in on 1, control on 2, switched output on 3. With the relay removed probe the pins, from 1 to 2 it should be closed, from 1-3 it should be open.

" From tail fuse " to pin 1
"T" to pin 2
"Lamps" to pin 3

Now follow the schematic, the example for tail lights, and document the headlight repair..

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 03-14-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:10 PM

More pics of wiring from front of Truck

Hello to all,

Thanks for all the responses. I will be looking into the solutions you guys have provided. I am attaching some more pics from the front of the Truck. The first pic is of the battery with the fusible links coming off of it, (to the left background shows what I think is a fuse holder) Battery, fusible link, and wiring. Not sure if fusible link is connected correctly
fuse holder? one lead goes to the fusible link, the other to perhaps the 12v 30A relay?
Relay? I believe, mounted in front of battery. I think one lead goes to the fuse holder
Close up Shot of Relay?
The second pic shows what I believe is a fuse holder mounted near the battery (but doesnt seem to have a fuse in it). The 3rd and 4th pic shows what I believe is a 12V 30Amp relay? mounted in front of the battery towards the radiator. Let me know what you guys think. thanks
Old 03-14-2018, 06:25 PM

Definitely not factory Toyota wiring. You will have to visually and electronically trace those wires out.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
zdanish,
Please start by cleaning all your connections to battery. All should have bare shiny metal tightly-touching bare-shiny metal. Gun-metal gray is not god electrical connection.
Then follow the wires from that relay. Your advantage is that your engine compartment should be pretty roomy. Whether it affects you problem or not it will be good to know what it does.
IF you could not clearly show relay wiring on pictures, annotate color on the pictures We take the time to do it, so that's the least you could to to help us help you.

NOTE THAT IF, and only IF, your truck's wiring is same as the 1983's shown on schematics:
1) Red/Yellow, Red/Blue, Green and Red wires going into the relay socket should be thicker wires.
2) Red/Black and Red/White wires going into relay socket should be thinner wires.

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
...Ray can you show were the headlight relay is powered from please, in the schematic. Pretty sure it's right out of the distribution block...
Headlight power (Red-blue wire on the 1983) comes from power bus "A". It does not show how it connects to battery on schematics I have but that should always have 12V when good fuses and good battery are connected properly.

Originally Posted by zdanish
..... Not sure if fusible link is connected correctly fuse holder? one lead goes to the fusible link, the other to perhaps the 12v 30A relay?
You are in the best position to find that out
Physically trace the wires, document and share.

Here are check procedures IF wires match.