General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Winch Mounting: fixed vs ...not

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winch Mounting: fixed vs ...not

I'm looking at a new front bumper, I found a guy in town that is pretty handy with a welder, and has agreed to make me one.

Thats got me thinking about winches. I know I want to be able to mount a winch (not sure when, but eventually).

I've looked at a few different designs at front bumpers. I like the smoother, more tucked in look of the "non" winch bumpers. So what I've thinking of is getting a bumper with a 2" reciever built into it, and get a winch on a craddle.

I'm looking at an 8-9000lb winch

So here's the pro's I can think of (keep in mind this is also my DD, so more often than not I don't need a winch)
1: I like the look of the non-winch tube bumpers better;
2: having a winch on a craddle, I can use it on the front or back;
3: No extra incentive of a winch for theives;
4: No extra weight on the vehicle/torsion bars;
5: Would have an extra recovery/tow point on the front;

But the cons:
1: bit of a pain to get the winch on if I'm in the mud;
2: Extra electrical stuff hanging off both ends;
3: Need to have real strong hitch mounts (I've got a class 3 rear, would need bigger I think)

Anyone have an inputs on this, or doing the same thing I'm thinking of?

Yes I know, I owe a swack of pictures one of these days.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:05 PM

I have had both, and both work..but have different uses. Also with a bumper like the ARB for your year it really doesn't stick out much more than a non-winch one... ARB did a good job of keeping it in close, due to no airbags..

Okay back to your ?

Fixed is better for lots of pulling, you can pull at a greater angle than you can with a multi-mount. Also most winch bumpers mount the winch so when you pull on it the footprint is being pulled into the bumper, not being held on by the bolts. On a winch basket the bolts are holding all the force.

Yes haveing a winch in the rear is a good thing. I used my multi mount that way many times. Personally I needed a tougher mount up front.. too many places where a strait pull can happen. Some day I am going to mount a 6K or 8K winch in the back of my rig, but oddly since I did the fixed mount (knock on wood) I havent needed a rear winch.

So in the end they are both excellent setups, but how you plan to use it...for the occasional stuck or regulary on the trail at odd angles...
Old 04-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get something like the Marlin front bumper with the receiver option you could leave your winch in a cradle most of the time and bolt it on the bumper for major events.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:56 PM

I'd really like an ARB, but I'm also looking at cost. I've been talking to a guy in town that will build me one in the $350 (cdn) range, which is a whole lot better than the $1100 for an ARB. I've seen his work, and I like it.

I'm going to take a closer look and see how much room I have up front to tuck in a winch.

Another thing I like about a craddle mouted winch, is that I don't need to worry about what winch I will be able to fit. I know ARB's can't mount winches with the top mounted solenoid (for example).

hmm, mabey a double reciever mount? (2x2" mounts for the craddle)...just thinking out loud on that one.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:20 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out 4Crawler.com - he recommends double receivers. But you can't have it centered then, so if you ever tow anything, you're really looking at THREE receivers (at least in the back).

I am going to have a portable winch mostly so I don't have to drive with it during the week. The cradle for the winch will have arms/straps to go to the shackle points on the side for extra stability.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

as mentioned, there are both pros & cons. side pulls are less strain on a perma front mount. extra cabling to the rears, ease of mounting up if your front end is dipped in mud/rocky terrain etc. a rear would be nice to have, but id just rely on the guy behind me to tug me out if needed

one thing to keep in mind multi mount winches are a bit more (from warn anyway) than the non portable flavour... unless you get your fabber to make one up for you. also, if you plan to go tube or something like that, it may be that much lighter than a boxed arb/tjm, so that can even things out weight wise as well. that said, as ah64id mentioned, the arb one doesnt stick out that much, as its tucked in there pretty well but limits your choice of acceptable winches. it does put a bit of weight on the front end though, so that in itself may be a deal breaker for you. me personally, im going with either a tabor 9k or M8000.

decisions decisions....good luck with whatever you choose! and if it doesnt work..hey you can always swap it..its only money
Old 04-28-2006, 02:16 PM

Sorry for the jack, but...
Bill, I am curious about this guy who you are thinking of getting to build you a bumper, and also exactly what sort of design you were going with. With my front stock bumper a little rallied, I have been looking to upgrade. Plus if its local it wouldn't hurt my wallet either...
Old 04-28-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill,

Costco has a multi mount for $500. Do you have a costco card - pm me if you want to go look at it - I have a costco card
Old 04-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

hey matt...

just curious..have you seen the champion 8000 winch costco has? it looks like its got the solenoids on top of the winch, but is it movable so that you can mount the winch on a vertical?

wondering if itll fit into the ARB bumper...
Old 05-01-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by d0ubledown
hey matt...

just curious..have you seen the champion 8000 winch costco has? it looks like its got the solenoids on top of the winch, but is it movable so that you can mount the winch on a vertical?

wondering if itll fit into the ARB bumper...
first bought that one when I got the ARB - It doesn't fit. You can take the control box (or move it) off but the ARB tucks in so close that there is no room for the box. You would have to cut off the mount on the box & get longer cables. I figured it wasn't worth it so I went & got the Tabor. I am looking at getting the rear mount - just have to convince the wife that it is "needed"
Old 05-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Heads Up! M8000 sale

Just ordered an M8000 from 4WheelOnline for $599, shipping included. That's the 100ft/roller fairlead, PN26502, version!! I had to call them to make sure that it wasn't a misprint. They are selling them at that price "while supplies last", so get it now!