General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Is there a such thing as too much flex?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a such thing as too much flex?

Like most things in life there comes a point when more is not always better. I'd like to hear your opinions about what the optimal amount of flex is or when an excessive flex became a detriment.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
idk about optimal...but i've seen a 3link buggy..with BOOKOOOS of flex..im talkin A LOT!!!..it could put one wheel on top of a 93 chevy (junkyard truck of course..lol) and the body of the buggy wouldnt hardly move at all....it was amazing..

now there does come a point...you start gettin sooo much flex as to things start to bend..if your with leafs..too much flex could bend a shock..

with 3-4link..i've seen a coil spring fly out from under-neath a truck...
Old 09-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
idk about optimal...but i've seen a 3link buggy..with BOOKOOOS of flex..im talkin A LOT!!!..it could put one wheel on top of a 93 chevy (junkyard truck of course..lol) and the body of the buggy wouldnt hardly move at all....it was amazing..

now there does come a point...you start gettin sooo much flex as to things start to bend..if your with leafs..too much flex could bend a shock..

with 3-4link..i've seen a coil spring fly out from under-neath a truck...
So when the buggy had a tire on the 93 chevy was he able to keep going forward or would his breakover/flop angle limit his movement anyway? Do you think a flex that big is really only good for posing?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you crazy?????!!!!! Too much flex????
Old 09-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wolfrunner
Are you crazy?????!!!!! Too much flex????
lol I'm actually serious. For example, I'd like to know if 90° an an axle is the limit or if getting your axle to rotate more than 90° could be a benefit. People normally wouldn't build that of course because then you would actually start wheeling backwards with that tire but the point is that there is a limit of usefulness.

Or say you have mad flex, how much does that increase your chances of flopping. Everything is a trade off. I've seen plenty of rigs with too much lift as an example.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:39 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Generally, the problem is with HOW you get the flex. For example, the buggy above had to have SUPER soft springs, and that could result in the body rolling over on offcamber. Sometimes, (especially with leaf springs) axle control is sacrificed for "more flex" which should never be the case, as what good is having the tire on the ground if the axle wrap and wheel hop destroys your traction anyways?

IMHO, it is more important the vehicle be balanced and work similarly on the front and rear axles and the axle motion is well controlled than to put up some huge suspension travel number.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much? If it stays together on the trail, seems fine to me. There has to be a limit on a rig that sees asphalt too.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not really.

Flexing more than 90 degrees would be counterproductive though, and just for bragging rights. Flexing more than 90 degrees will cause your base to be WAY skewed, and make a roll over more likely.

I agree with TC that balance is key. Having a rear end that flexes to the moon and a front that doesn't move much at all will help in a very few situations and seriously suck in a lot of others.

In general though, flex gives you control on the trail, and keeps the rig more stable when crossing up the suspension, as well as flex keeps tires in contact with traction surfaces.

The ultimate answer is to have as much flex as you can, with ways to limit that flex, such as with sucker winches. Best of both worlds.

As for buggies, thats somewhat of a moot point. They are designed to take roll overs and flops. Its part of the equipment, and ending up on the lid is simply part of the game at that level.