General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Clear corner lenses

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear corner lenses

I noticed that some of you all have put clear corner lenses on your trucks and I've also seen them online. They look great but is it legal? I know it may vary by state but whats the law o that in your state? I'm from Texas (Houston) if anyone from there knows for sure. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

It's the color of the light output not the lens itself. As long as you use amber bulbs you'll be fine in most states.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

And unless they're really strict, it shouldn't be an issue. I'm from Cali and I believe these are illegal but you see them everywhere and I haven't had an issue.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Ah thanks guys, I don't think putting in some amber bulbs would be a problem at all and it would look really nice. thanks again
Old 01-02-2006, 11:24 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Visible amber or white is legal for front turns and front marker lights.

Red only is legal for tail lights.

Red or amber is legal for rear turns.

This is USDOT and no state can differ.

As for any Other colors being allowable, most states do have laws specifically stating that other colors are specifically illegal (blue for example is illegal except for emergency vehicles) so that they can enforce it.

Some have said that their local cops have been ticketing clear lenses with the correct color bulb inside because the law says (for example) "red lenses." This has to be an urban legend, as USDOT does not care if the lense is clear - it only cares what color is visible. Many new cars come with clear lenses and red LEDs for example, and obviously they are legal - everywhere.

By the way, those aftermarket headlight assemblies with the little blue "city lights" - illegal. And if your 'HID-look' blue headlight bulbs are a bit too blue, they can ticket you for that too.

While on the subject - don't forget proper reflectors. There are a few "altezza-style" imported taillight assemblies that have white reflectors. White rear reflectors are apparently legal in Europe, but NOT in the USA. There are also some that don't have side reflectors at all. This too isn't legal if your car doesn't have alternative side reflectors. A sharp-eyed cop may ticket you for that.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 01-02-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:18 PM

good to know, was thinking Ill have to take my runner with clear corners to a private iinspection, still might, New Jersey is terrible for any kind of mod, state inspection here flat out SUCKS
Old 01-02-2006, 02:51 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Burtman sells special bulbs for clear corners that look chrome when off, amber when lit - just the ticket for clear corners!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
Burtman sells special bulbs for clear corners that look chrome when off, amber when lit - just the ticket for clear corners!
They look even better in the rear turn signals. The clear corners from Jason come with a new Yellow (more orange) bulbs with them. The Chrome bulbs will have to be ordered seperately.

Both the corners and the bumpers are really easy to change...IMO Keep original stuff for the inspection once a year and change out to the clears for the rest!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:28 AM
lee
Contributing Member

ive gone through 2 inspections with the clear corners. those guys dont care about that stuff, they care more about operable headlights, brake lights, turn signals, and reverse lights.

they made the riced out civic that went ahead of me last time peel off the tint from his front windows (it was peeling and looked awful -- i asked the guy when i went in and he said it was dangerously dark), and they remove the black covers from his taillights.

maybe its just MA, but if you just spend like 30 seconds talking to the guy and jokin around with him, he'll even let small violations pass (one of my turn bulbs burned out at some point before the inspection -- i had checked them the night before -- and he let me go)..
Old 01-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

I'm so glad we don't have state inspections here,just emmission testing every two years on most cars.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:34 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I'm so glad we don't have state inspections here,just emmission testing every two years on most cars.
yea its good for people who do what we do... but really i dont mind it. it means there are less jerks out there with unsafe vehicles.