Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

starter relay

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay, so to fix the flaw I cut the big red wire diagonal from the thin blk/w/red stripe wire, before the plug to the starter relay, tape off harness side then run 12gauge wire to a kill switch, then to a 30amp fuse( seeing that I do not have a fusible link and the part is discontinued) then to the positive post on the battery. Is that correct?
Thankyou
Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Some additional information below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions

I used a Painless Wiring Hot Shot relay kit on my '85 and it has worked just fine for the last 10 years or so. Just followed the included instructions. Only wire I had to cut to install the relay was the one to the starter solenoid, I cut that and put in a male and female spade lug there. Then I used those connecters to splice into that wire to turn on the hot shot relay and then to feed the relay output to the starter. I did it this way so that if that relay ever would act up, I can just disconnect it and connect the starter back to the factory circuit.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by rubronthroad
...I cut the big red wire diagonal from the thin blk/w/red stripe wire, before the plug to the starter relay, tape off harness side then run 12gauge wire to a kill switch, then to a 30amp fuse( seeing that I do not have a fusible link and the part is discontinued) then to the positive post on the battery. Is that correct?
Correct. However, Pin 4 on 1986 is black wire. Please verify pin-outs per post above (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120.../#post52010335) especially the lines in green.

Also check 4Crawler's solution if that would work for you. Best of luck.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Thanks Crawler, I am going to finish this project first, thanks Rad, I will be back at my truck in a couple and I will post pics to clarify, that I am doing it right, before I cut any wires.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 PM

(1) So is this the wire to cut( the one the pliers are on)?
(2)this is my replacement for the fusible link, 6awg speaker wire, from batt to 80 amp fuse
(3)this will go inline on the bypassed wire w/ a 30 amp fuse
Attached Thumbnails starter relay-img_1787.jpg   starter relay-img_1789.jpg   starter relay-img_1788.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 PM

with pic #2 that is the sautered splice I am holding, the 80 amp is in the fuse box , fyi
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 AM

(2)this is my replacement for the fusible link, 6awg speaker wire, from batt to 80 amp fuse
DON'T Cut it too close to the connector, so you'll have room for changes, if necessary. Peel a few inches of tape off the wireloom and make the splice there.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 AM

My reply will only apply IF and only IF you verified as suggested per post above...

Did you verify that the black wire with white stripe is connected to connector that plugs into starter solenoid?

Correct, but don't cut too close.

6AWG is way more than big enough. 12AWG will handle the 15AMP to energize starter solenoid.

Not to 80AMP fuse. Simply move Pin 4 of relay upstream of ST1 contact of ignition switch. That's between IGN and 40AMP fuse. This bypasses ST1 contact of ignition switch, the way Toyota SHOULD HAVE done it.

OR Batt positive - to inline fuse - to Pin4

Hard to see how you're wiring it unless you show pictures of where everything goes.

To simplify:
Follow this schematic to do it the way Toyota SHOULD HAVE done it:

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-16-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:57 PM

Maybe I am making things confusing,my truck did not have a 40 amp fusible link when I bought it and the part has been discontinued,and I saw that several senior members agreed that heavy gauge wire can be used in place of it, I will post more detailed pics of that repair. The repair on the fore front is the bypass to save unnecessary wear on my ignition switch, to clarify, yes I will cut the wire deep to give myself a couple inches of play and the wire I cut is the solid fat black wire diagonal from the thin black wire w/red stripe(right?), then I will crimp/sauter onto harness side of wire w/12gauge wire then to the 30 amp fuse then to an eye terminal then to the positive terminal on the battery. If that makes sense, if not I can post more pics.
Thanks Rad
Old 12-16-2012, 10:43 PM

Maybe I am making things confusing,my truck did not have a 40 amp fusible link when I bought it
Darn P.O.'s who butcher wiring! Knowing this It is important that you verify the wiring like I mentioned but you never said if you did.

... heavy gauge wire can be used in place of it, I will post more detailed pics of that repair. The repair on the fore front is the bypass to save unnecessary wear on my ignition switch
I see. That's needed only to protect the rest of the circuit. For the starter system you're fixing, the fused wiring you have in mind below is good already.

... yes I will cut the wire deep to give myself a couple inches of play and the wire I cut is the solid fat black wire diagonal from the thin black wire w/red stripe(right?), then I will crimp/sauter onto harness side of wire w/12 gauge wire then to the 30 amp fuse then to an eye terminal then to the positive terminal on the battery. If that makes sense, if not I can post more pics. Thanks Rad
No Not the harness side of wire. You insulate that part and not connect to anything.
You connect the connector side (This goes to pin 4 of relay) of wire to your fused wire to battery.

Please see my complete post for more details:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51975700

The only difference would be that you will connect your Pin4 to fused wiring to battery-similar to what Alverta4X did.

You're most welcome.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-19-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 PM

Knowing this It is important that you verify the wiring like I mentioned but you never said if you did, Did you verify that the black wire with white stripe is connected to connector that plugs into starter solenoid?
No, I will do that.

No Not the harness side of wire. You insulate that part and not connect to anything.
You connect the connector side (This goes to is pin 4 of relay) of wire to your fused wire to battery.
Okay, so I want to send constant power to the starter relay?
Thanks Rad
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, you want to send constant power to that wire on the relay.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks Alberta, also
Knowing this It is important that you verify the wiring like I mentioned but you never said if you did, Did you verify that the black wire with white stripe is connected to connector that plugs into starter solenoid?
Yes I checked, the black wire with white stripe appears to be connected to the connector that connects to the starter, the connector is a little oily and the plastic is starting to crack, I will clean it up a bit.
Thankyou
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 PM

I finally did the repair, I still dont understand what I did, the truck seems to start better and it feels good knowing I am not frying my ignition switch, thanks for all your help guys.
I will post a photo later, its to slow now.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 PM

Here we go, thats 12 gauge to a 30 amp fuse to the pos post, with a hillbilly crimp job, I will sauter it later.
Attached Thumbnails starter relay-img_1819.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM

I finally did the repair,
Yeey! Glad to know it worked for you. Way to start the new year

I still dont understand what I did, the truck seems to start better and it feels good knowing I am not frying my ignition switch, thanks for all your help guys.
You just did the right thing

Here we go, thats 12 gauge to a 30 amp fuse to the pos post, with a hillbilly crimp job..
Hawaiian hillbilly? LOL!
Aloha!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:50 AM

hey guys so i was researching in google and this page popped out so i decided to become a member..im having problems with my 86 runner it wont start..it went from starting fine to not wanting to start sometimes to not starting at all..i dont know much about wiring and mechanics but ive learned a few from your posts.. anywho when i try to start the runner all i get is the starter relay and COR clicking.. i tested the wires that go to my starter relay and all read around 12 volts..ohh and also once in like 10 attempt to turn it on it will crank.. hopefully you guys can give me some advice on what to check..oh and also i dont use the key i have a pushstart button dont kno if that will have something to do with it..i got the truck like this about a month ago
Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by El Chino
hey guys so i was researching in google and this page popped out so i decided to become a member..im having problems with my 86 runner it wont start..it went from starting fine to not wanting to start sometimes to not starting at all..i dont know much about wiring and mechanics but ive learned a few from your posts.. anywho when i try to start the runner all i get is the starter relay and COR clicking.. i tested the wires that go to my starter relay and all read around 12 volts..ohh and also once in like 10 attempt to turn it on it will crank.. hopefully you guys can give me some advice on what to check..oh and also i dont use the key i have a pushstart button dont kno if that will have something to do with it..i got the truck like this about a month ago
Sounds like contacts inside the starter solenoid since you are getting good voltage to the starter (that says the problem is inside the starter):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest

Easy enough to replace:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 AM

is there a way that i could test to see if the starter solenoid is good..i took the starter a few days ago to autozone and got it tested..they said it was good but i had a guy tell me ..autozone is crap cuz the dont test it while in pressure idk what he ment
Old 08-11-2013, 12:10 PM

lol somehow i didnt even notice the links ..i read them now ima go imply this to my starter...thank for the response 4crawler

Quick Reply: starter relay