Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Do I need a differential drop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need a differential drop?

Hey guys, got a 2000 T4R and i just put on some OME heavies and nitrocharger stiffies all around. I purchased from toytec and the salesman told me that I'd need a 1/2inch spacer for the front to level out the lift... well needless to say that was incorrect. I do have a KMA multicarrier ass injection but a stock bumper up front... the front is way high and the cv angle is ridiculous. I put in a 1inch diff drop and the damn thing just rotated the diff. I'm taking out the 1/2inch spacer to level it out and I know that will help my cv angle... but is there any way I can actually DROP the diff some more instead of rotating it like the diff drop did? I will put some pictures up tomorrow so you guys can see what the hells goin on. OH... and i think the back of the diff is sitting on the crossmember that goes right under the front of the engine... any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated for I have already torn some cv boots and I don't get my paycheck till tuesday!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes, the diff drop will rotate the front differ downward. On the 3rd gen 4Runner, the drop spacers go between the diff and frame up front, lowering it. The rear does not drop as it is held by a horizontal bolt and bracket. The CV axles attach somewhere between those two points so the diff end of the CVs should go down as the spacers are added up front. You will need to lower the rear of the front skid plate (if present):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/DiffDrop.shtml
Old 12-12-2009, 04:26 PM

i still haven't fixed the problems! So i put the diff drop in which rotated the diff not much of a drop. And I took the 1/2 inch spacer out... the truck sits damned near level now.... i just need a heavy bumper to make it completely even. When I got the alignment done ( i purchased a lifetime alignment ) they couldn't get the caster on the passenger side to get dead center like it should.... right now its on the outer limit but still within the threshold... AND my ball joint angles are crazy... how do you guys with 3 inch lifts account for all the geometries changing and still feel comfortable about doing the lift... I NEED MORE INPUT! please!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You don't put the OME HD coils up front until you HAVE a HD front bumper/winch. Not enough weight with the stock bumper...that is your problem.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

^^ ditto

It is always recommended to have the additional weight on the vehicle when you install a heavy duty spring.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rotating the diff (since this is what the diff drop actually does more than drop the diff) still helps allieviate the stress on the CV so leave it in. Not sure why you were told you needed HD coils AND a spacer in there too, especially since you don't even have a winch bumper not to mention the winch.

Whoever suggested this set-up at Toytec needs to find a new job it sounds like to me - most Yotatechers could've told you that info was not right. Even the toytec website says not to run 882s up front w/o at least 150+ lbs of additional front weight and that the top-out spacers are not needed or recommended for use with the 882s.

On a good note, I've seen people running 882s with stock bumpers and no cv problems so you might be ok now that you removed the spacers. Not sure about about the ball joint angles, mine are fine with 883s. Post some pics of the angles and we can help or at least let you know if it's normal.

Last edited by brian2sun; 12-16-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it is easy for you to do -share with us a picture of what your CV angles look like-a shot from the front looking back toward the rear.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Who did you talk to at Toytec? Did you call the shipping department by mistake!
I have a hard time believing we would sell someone the Heavy coils with NO additional weight on the front and then advise to add top plate spacers too?
Something doesn't sound right....Pm me or email support@toyteclifts.com with your concerns. We will look into your order and figure out what happened.
I will even post the results here.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, toytec rocks! I just got all new suspension from them and I'm very pleased with OME and toytec. I got nothing but good advice and service. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by ToyTec Lifts
Who did you talk to at Toytec? Did you call the shipping department by mistake!
I have a hard time believing we would sell someone the Heavy coils with NO additional weight on the front and then advise to add top plate spacers too?
Something doesn't sound right....Pm me or email support@toyteclifts.com with your concerns. We will look into your order and figure out what happened.
I will even post the results here.
Darrick - AWESOME customer service here! I've never looked at your products before but I am very impressed to see how well you've stood behind them after a sale, especially in a forum outside of your company's control. It's obvious you are in the business for the long haul and not a quick sale.

Thank you for supporting our toyota vehicles. You and a number of other great vendors that come here are fantastic resources for the Toyota enthusiasts community.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Old 12-17-2009, 08:50 PM

Hey, just wanted to let everybody know that I don't have any problems with Toytec... they helped me with a lot and i totally understand a slipup here and there... thanks brotha Oh and the reason I purchased OME heavies for all around because I know that I wouldn't be driving the truck for too long until i put on a HD bumper and winch.

Last edited by paynemw; 12-17-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

when you getting your new stuff? christmas?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:40 PM

i deploy at the end of january and the truck won't be driven until i return in september... so i'll put the bumper and winch on then... then wheels and tires as well, other than that, i've installed the diff drop, and will do cv joints and ball joints when i return as well, too much stuff to buy for deployment
Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Roger that.
Be safe!