03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Need Canvasback Liner Advice for '03 4 Runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Canvasback Liner Advice for '03 4 Runner **UPDATE**

I'm thinking about ordering the Canvasback Liner and need to know exactly how this thing attaches. The website says velcro, but does that mean I'll have to install permanent backer tape for the velcro?

Also, how hard is it to deal with the cargo shelf? I'm probably going to remove that too. Anyone want a grey cargo shelf?

Thanks,

bd

http://www.canvasback.com

Last edited by bluduk15; 05-23-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:41 PM

bluduk15

i have this in my 4th gen runner. it works very well, the only bummer is, it doesn't cover the wheel wells. the entire thing just sticks to the carpet that's already lined in the truck, so it's very easy to reposition if needed. it does stay put, i haven't had it slip or move yet. for the rear, it will stick better if you remove the rear mat.

the section that covers the second row seating actually comes up and over the top portion of the seats but not the headrests. a nice feature, especially when the second row is folded flat. liquids just roll right off and it's easy to clean.

i don't have the rear shelf, so i can't comment on that.

hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the input. It sounds like it will work well, once I deal with the shelf.

Overall, the liner has gotten good reviews.

bd
Old 05-17-2005, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had one years ago in the back of my Runner. (Different Brand tho) It ran up the sides, over the wheelwells, up the seat backs and even had a tailgate cover (my tailgate folds down). It was held on with velcro that was adhesive on the back. You mounted the adhesive strips to the plastic and the canvas attached to the velcro.

Guess what happens to adhesive velcro inside a hot vehicle over the summer? It falls off leaving a sticky mess behind on the plastic.

IMHO, adhesive backed velcro is completely useless in any application.

Get a Husky liner and call it a day.

Last edited by Cebby; 05-17-2005 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
I had one years ago in the back of my Runner. (Different Brand tho) It ran up the sides, over the wheelwells, up the seat backs and even had a tailgate cover (my tailgate folds down). It was held on with velcro that was adhesive on the back. You mounted the adhesive strips to the plastic and the canvas attached to the velcro.

Guess what happens to adhesive velcro inside a hot vehicle over the summer? It falls off leaving a sticky mess behind on the plastic.

IMHO, adhesive backed velcro is completely useless in any application.

Get a Husky liner and call it a day.
Was this the Rear Gear Line a Trunk?

Thanks,
bd
Old 05-20-2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by bluduk15
Was this the Rear Gear Line a Trunk?

Thanks,
bd
Rear Gear - That's it!!
Old 05-21-2005, 11:22 AM

Canvas Back

I have one of the Canvas Back covers in my 94' Runner and mine does cover the wheel wells. To keep it in place I shoved the ribbed edges on the sides under the side panels and in the back instead of using the Velcro, I pulled up that plastic protector edge that runs all the way across, folded the cover once slide it under and put the screws back in and it holds it in place and does'nt move at all.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by rbmc
I have one of the Canvas Back covers in my 94' Runner and mine does cover the wheel wells. To keep it in place I shoved the ribbed edges on the sides under the side panels and in the back instead of using the Velcro, I pulled up that plastic protector edge that runs all the way across, folded the cover once slide it under and put the screws back in and it holds it in place and does'nt move at all.
Thinking about doing this since the velcro may be a problem. Could you explain how you did this a little better?

Thanks,
bd
Old 05-23-2005, 08:20 PM

UPdate: I talked at length with the Rear Gear people. They explained that the liner attaches at the windows and on the back gate with clips at the top. It does have some velcro in the wheel well areas to keep it put, but mostly relies on the "velcro" action of the bottom side of the liner with the carpet of the truck. The bottom side of the liner has the hook side of the velcro.

Also, the velcro tabs come with alchol rubs to clean the attachment points as well as a "curing" pen to solidify the velcro glue. This stuff is designed to be removed with Goof Off when you want to take the liner out.

Oh well, nothing like updating your own thread for your own benefit.

bd

Last edited by bluduk15; 05-24-2005 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:31 AM

FYI - In my experience, using Goof Off on your interior plastic will discolor/haze it. That's what happened with mine when I removed the Rear Gear from mine. My rig is now 12 years old, so I don't care. I would care on a new rig tho.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cebby
FYI - In my experience, using Goof Off on your interior plastic will discolor/haze it. That's what happened with mine when I removed the Rear Gear from mine. My rig is now 12 years old, so I don't care. I would care on a new rig tho.
Thanks, I'll try it out on a some plastic under the seats first. I've already ordered the Line a Trunk, but haven't made the final decision to install it. Everyone's responses have been really helpful.

bd
Old 05-24-2005, 10:50 AM

Tuck it under

I had a problem with the Velcro sticking to that plastic bezel too, so I pulled the bezel up and tucked it under the bezel. The way I did it was to take the protective caps off first and then I took the the screws out lifted the bezel off, then I folded the edge Canvasback liner a half turn (the part with the Velcro) folded it under and put the bezel back down over it with it tucked under there, put the screws and cap back on and it holds it in place and it has'nt moved yet. I'm attaching pics so you can get an idea of what I did and how I tucked it under the edges.
Attached Thumbnails Need Canvasback Liner Advice for '03 4 Runner-bezel.jpg   Need Canvasback Liner Advice for '03 4 Runner-side-panel.jpg  
Old 05-24-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by rbmc
I had a problem with the Velcro sticking to that plastic bezel too, so I pulled the bezel up and tucked it under the bezel. The way I did it was to take the protective caps off first and then I took the the screws out lifted the bezel off, then I folded the edge Canvasback liner a half turn (the part with the Velcro) folded it under and put the bezel back down over it with it tucked under there, put the screws and cap back on and it holds it in place and it has'nt moved yet. I'm attaching pics so you can get an idea of what I did and how I tucked it under the edges.
Got it.

Thanks,
bd