03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th gen lift spindles

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gen lift spindles

i just got my new runner on friday. i discovered you guys on saturday. so i think it is about time to start learning about this truck. has anyone checked into lift spindles for the 2wd runners? i see the ford/chevy guys using them, they are as strong and durable if not more so than the oem spindle. they maintain the factory ride. (i like that) what do you guys think? i looked around google and didn't come up with anything.
clint
Old 01-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

clint:

There are two different kind of lift technologies on our 4runners:
Spacer Technology and Coil Technology.

Spacer Technology are used by creating spacers that are used in conjunction with the stock coil and shock (both front and rear). Daystar (www.daystarweb.com) and Revtek (www.revtek.com) are the two key manufacturers that make these items. Cornfed (www.cornfedsuspension.com) also makes spacers but they currently don't have any for the 4th gen 4runners. (the other 2 mfg's are already selling the kits).

Coil Technology are the use of new shocks and coils and also the use of coilovers for the front (adjustable height). Currently there are no companies openly selling these items but they are taking orders. Downey (www.downeyoff-road.com) is currently taking orders for their kits but it is still pending final production.

For more information, give the "search" button on top a try for lift kits on the 4th gen and you'll find a wealth of information.

Lance
Old 01-30-2004, 09:54 PM

i have a question about the spacer lifts:
by adding a spacer above the coil spring, doesn't this now change the amount of down travel? i would think the total amount of travel would remain the same, but you would have more up travel and less down travel since the shock length is unchanged. is this correct. does it matter? or do you think i am just brain f*%king this to death? what is the ride quality change from stock to spaced?
Old 01-30-2004, 10:01 PM

oh lance a question on the downey lift.
what is the price going to be for the front lift? i was guessing about the same as the tacoma and tundra, but it wasn't listed on the site. i am sure it is a quailty product. there is a guy in our offroad club that has some of their stuff and it is great.
clint
Old 01-30-2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by sdcaclint
there is a guy in our offroad club that has some of their stuff and it is great.
clint
What offroad club do you belong to? And what's your offroad vehicle? Surely not the 2wd 4Runner
Me and some of the other SD guys were looking at one of the local clubs, they invited us to come down.
Keep an eye out in the trip planning forum we'll be planning another run soon.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:20 AM

the club i offroad with is called just runs, just runs it is a great bunch of guys and ladies. we do tons of runs,each month. i would guess there is an average of 5 or 6 runs a month. the club motto is
"No Meetings
No Officers
No Politics
No Dues ...
Just Runs !

i have an 88 suzuki samurai with lockers, transfercase and lift. it is pretty mild, but goes pretty well on the trail.
here is a pic of me going up "el hill" at los coyotes indian reservation. i was a bit off line, but did save it. big air

i would love to see you out there on a run.
take care
clint
Old 01-31-2004, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sdcaclint
i have a question about the spacer lifts:
by adding a spacer above the coil spring, doesn't this now change the amount of down travel? i would think the total amount of travel would remain the same, but you would have more up travel and less down travel since the shock length is unchanged. is this correct. does it matter? or do you think i am just brain f*%king this to death? what is the ride quality change from stock to spaced?
Travel length should not change right? I mean the shock is still the same length. All the spacer does is have the shock at a more expanded position.

I am unaware of the prices of the Downey Kit. You will have to call them and find out as they are already pre-ordering the kits.

If you're looking for a simple lift, spacer kit is the cheapest and probably the most widely used kit in the toyotas. If you want to upgrade, then the logical way is to get the coilover kits.

You can't go wrong going either way. One is just abit more expensive than the other

Both will get stiff (spacer/coilover).
Old 01-31-2004, 07:47 PM

Clint,

You are right about the decrease in downward travel of the upper control arm. However the amount with the spacer lift will never be enough to bottom out the upper control arm on the spring.

You had the right idea about a spindle lift. However it will never come into production on the 4runner because of the amount vehicles on the road. Chevy and Ford lifts have gone to this but only after many years of prototypes.

jason