86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Winch Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Have had 2 Warns over the years and they both work OK. Good idea to see what folks in your area (or club) run and go with the same. On one club run I was on, one guy got into a tricky spot and we could not get his winch controller out. But since he had a Warn like several of the other rigs, was a simple matter to grab a controller out of one of the other rigs and use his winch to pull him up and out of danger.

As far as speed, there are two ways you can get a certain amount of line pull, one is with a big honking motor and the other with gearing inside the winch. So you could have two winches, one say with a 2HP motor and 400:1 gearing and another winch with say a 4HP motor and 200:1 gearing. Both would have similar line pull ratings, but the 4HP motor would be able to pull twice as fast as the 2HP motor (pull times line-speed = power). But lower gearing is cheaper than a bigger motor, so a less expensive winch often has a smaller motor and lower gearing. Speed of spooling in the winch cable is one place where faster is better. And for winching speed vs. vehicle speed, it is nice if you have a winch that can pull you a little bit faster than your slowest crawl speed. Why? If you are winching up an area where you need continual assistance, it is nice if you don't keep over running the winch cable and letting it go slack. With the dual t-cases in my '85, I can idle along in low-low-1st gear at around 30 feet per minute, so any winch faster than that works fine. With just a single stock t-case, you would be up around 160 FPM, so a faster winch may be helpful there.

Other factor is how much current the motor draws at a given line pull. I found a bigger winch drew less current at lighter, more typical loads, than a smaller winch:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_bumpers.shtml#Winch
Old 08-13-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Let me see if I can drown you in numbers. Oh and FYI this is the kind of research I do before I buy anything.

First you have to realize that you get what you pay for. A winch, which may mean the difference between going home or leaving you rig in the hills, is not something you want to skimp on.

In no particular order.

Smittybuilt XRC 8. Looks pretty good although I can't find a bunch of specs on it. What I did find
5.5hp motor
172.8:1 gear ratio
http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/38.htm

Bulldog 8000.
5.2 hp motor
235:1 gear ratio
Looks good but it loses pull weight very quickly.
1st layer- 8000lbs
2nd layer-6540lbs
3rd layer- 5500lbs
4th layer- 4750
I'm going to avoid this one, unless you want to drag 100' of wire/rope so your "8000lb" winch will actually pull.
http://www.bulldogwinch.com/8000detail.html

Mile Marker 8000.
4.1hp motor
210.1 gear ratio
This one also falls off rather quickly.
1st layer- 8000lbs
2nd layer-6335lbs
3rd layer- 5243lbs
4th layer-4473lbs
5ht layer-3900lbs
http://www.milemarker.com/PE8000.html

Warn M8000.
4.8hp motor
216:1 gear ratio
What I consider the best (that I've seen on paper) power curve with relation to cable layer and pull strength.
1st layer- 8000lbs
2nd layer-7280lbs
3rd layer-6670lbs
4th layer-6230lbs.
http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8000.shtml

Now in looking at this remember that they all have planetary gears, all have the same size mounting area and you can get either fairlead for any of them. The difference is in the hard numbers, proven past performance and the internals. Some are lower geared, larger motored etc but in looking at which one of the above 8000lb rated winches will maintain it's power curve over the entire pull the best I'd have to go with a Warn.

With all the numbers out there do a little research and make an honest, informed and comfortable decision. A few weeks ago I almost got talked into a Bulldog winch at a pretty good (I thought) price. For about 50$ more I'm getting the Warn M8000. The numbers don't lie.

Just more munchies for memory.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
All I can say is HOLY CRAP!!!!! Talk about needing a bigger winch or two.....

Fore real though the bc4x4 folks really turned out for that. That was amazing! The only thing more amazing than the quick organization and recovery effort is that freakin huge Mog. Well done guys! Some of those posts were right on about the state/gov't wasting time getting out there. That's one heck of a 4x club.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright final set of questions..I hope... Right now I am leaning towards the Warn winch.....I have talked with some people who have them and haven't really heard anything too bad, plus it seems like it doesn't loose pulling strength as fast as the other models....but anyway am I going to need to do any upgrades to my charging system (ie. battery, alternator, etc.) I already have an Optima red top but do I need a second battery, I dont think I will be using the winch for to long at one time so I doubt I will drain the battery but I could be wrong.

Also do I need to beef up my front suspension in order to handle the extra weight? I have pretty good Ranch shocks all the way around but do I need something stronger? If so what would you recomend....I dont really want any lift from it just something that would be able to handle the weight (if needed of course).

Thanks again you guys have been a really big help!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:44 PM

Almost forgot.... what is the difference between the roller and hawse type fairleads....is one better than the other? Cause the warn winch can come with either or, but the one with the hawse fairlead is like 100 bucks more. Also synthetic winch line? Yes or no?
Old 08-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Stock system is fine, watch your battery voltage under long pulls to make sure it is not dropping too far. If needed, add a 2nd battery and/or beef up the alternator if you find your winching duty cycle is too short for your needs. You can always stop winching and let the alternator recharge the battery for a few minutes.

Fairlead, basically roller is for wire rope, hawse is for synthetic. Roller one has rollers that let the winch cable move over it. Hawse is solid and has rounded edges on the inside to let the winch rope slide over it.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You will save a lot of weight going with synthetic line and a hawse fairlead. Easier to use too, you just have to remember to stretch the line as you reel it on and don't drag it over rocks without a line protector.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Gimme a 500 lb come-along, 1500' of cable and 8 snatch blocks and I'll pull any of you out...
it'll just take a long time.

but for a single pull line, go 8000 lb

Impressive.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by DragonLTD
Almost forgot.... what is the difference between the roller and hawse type fairleads....is one better than the other? Cause the warn winch can come with either or, but the one with the hawse fairlead is like 100 bucks more. Also synthetic winch line? Yes or no?

For steel cable, the roller is much better, for synthetic rope, hawse is better, Aluminum one.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can say owning the smittybuilt and a tabor winch I prefer the smittybuilt. It's faster seems like less drain and I think it holds up better honestly.
I sold the tabor winch to a friend of mine within a few weeks of using it the solenoid pack fried on it.
He wasn't even using it to wheel he was using it on his trailer to tow vehicles up the ramp.
I dunno for others but that's my experience with them. I am not very impressed with the tabor which is made by warn.
I am not very impressed with warn either honestly.
I have talked to a couple fellow wheelers in VT who have owned them and they have had nothing but problems with them.
I have heard everything from blowing the planetary gears to fried electronics and burnt out motors with warns.
Most of them have switched to milemarker winches.
Honestly I may sound opinionated but hell with it "Warn had a good reputation with the 8274 winch that was their claim to fame"
It's just a name now there are more manufacturers out there now then the main 4 there used to be Milemarker,Warn, Ramsey and Superwinch. As competition goes I think they have cut back in quality to compete with some of the cheap chinese made winches.
Some of the so called cheap chinese made winches exceed the quaility of comperable american made winches.
Honestly I really don't care who makes the winch as long as the product holds up that what counts.
Besides trusting a name brand to feel safe by having that might let you down too.
Shop around check the winches out look at reviews before you buy them.
So there my 2 cents on winches.
For a cheap winch the smittybuilt hasn't left me stranded yet.

Last edited by 934rnr; 02-16-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eric-the-red
And if you get into a recovery situation like this one you'll need all the winching power you can get. Total carnage was 1 12,00 lb hydraulic, 2 12,000 lb Warn's, some bent bumper mounting brackets on my 4Runner and too many straps to count. But we got the Jeep out of the lake

Pics start on page 16
http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=131616
Did it start? I have this really cool video of a Hilux in the ocean...maybe I should post it!

Old 02-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobD
Did it start? I have this really cool video of a Hilux in the ocean...maybe I should post it!

It's a Jeep, probably didn't start before the dunking