Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Sweet 22re music

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olharleyman...that exhaust sounds awesome...from a 22RE 4banger??? Nice job. How do you like the LC header?? I'm thinking of getting one. Also, you said that you have a 2.5" pipe from header to muffler. Did it really help to increase power? I remember talking to a Flowmaster Tech and he told me not to change the pipe size as this could take power away. I'm trying to get ideas about what I want to do with my exhaust.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GA22RE
Quick question about the detail of your engine. As far as the Valve Cover, what kind of paint did you use? I would love to go w/ a LCEnginering Powder-coated unit but that's a little high if I can paint it myself. I've found that Duplicolor Caliper Paint works great on engine brackets and such but just was curious as to which route you went.

Chrysler red and the same Dupli color primer in fact all the paint is this dupli color

Originally Posted by islandboyjt20
thats so sweet...tell everyone on YT what you put in the motor...it must be worth it...
Engnbldr master rebuild kit , .20 piston and rings , drivers side steel timing chain guide , L.C.Engineering Pro Street Head and matching cam , Header and tons of LOVE

Originally Posted by Hilux808
Olharleyman...that exhaust sounds awesome...from a 22RE 4banger??? Nice job. How do you like the LC header?? I'm thinking of getting one. Also, you said that you have a 2.5" pipe from header to muffler. Did it really help to increase power? I remember talking to a Flowmaster Tech and he told me not to change the pipe size as this could take power away. I'm trying to get ideas about what I want to do with my exhaust.
Yea 22re , as for the rest of your question it's all brand new a complete rebuild so it's hard to say but I can say this with no doubt ALL THESE THINGS TOGETHER do make a huge difference the full build up can be read here

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...begins-185041/
Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
holy crap man, that thing sounds MEAN!!!

nice work man! she sounds like she runs great!

even though you are a color-theif lmao, just kiddin man

nice work!
Old 08-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder

nice work!
I believe that's the secret to the nice sound plain and simple

Thanks for the flowers man just wish I could have found these stupid little issue's sooner but like I said before

"Good things come to those who wait"

Last edited by olharleyman; 08-21-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
It's...
It's beautiful.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:28 PM

nice work!
all of ya'll is color theives!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmfao
chrysler red is the hit!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Sweet 22re music-102to1.jpg  
Old 08-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by olharleyman
It's a 40 with 2.5 exhaust pipe from header to muffler and then out.
Are you running a cat at all?
I may end up going with this setup - although with a stock 22RE I can't imagine it will sound quite as good.

Fink
Old 08-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Are you running a cat at all?
I may end up going with this setup - although with a stock 22RE I can't imagine it will sound quite as good.

Fink
No cat yet but I have one to put on it's a Magna Flow Hi Flow

But here is the issue , it sounds good but has no power under load and I am lost at where to start to figure this out My friend came over and we spent about 2 hours now trying the timing and idle and still can't get it to run faster then 35-40 in 4th gear any ideas guy's?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Job well done!

Wanna race?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 93YotaGuy
Job well done!

Wanna race?
Hell ya soon as I get this thing dialed in we can get Iamsuperbleeder in this too.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

No cat yet but I have one to put on it's a Magna Flow Hi Flow

But here is the issue , it sounds good but has no power under load and I am lost at where to start to figure this out My friend came over and we spent about 2 hours now trying the timing and idle and still can't get it to run faster then 35-40 in 4th gear any ideas guy's?
Well your video has just about convinced me to run the Flowmaster 40, that sounds amazing.
I'd run the Magnaflow high-flow cat also.

No ideas about your lack of power problem, I'm sure you'll get the kinks worked out though.

Fink
Old 08-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Hell ya soon as I get this thing dialed in we can get Iamsuperbleeder in this too.
lol, 3-wide?

I'm down!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:11 AM

holy crap i bou tmessed my britches! or maybe i did. i usta have a flowmaster 40 on my yota and it didnt sound nothing liek that. neither does my engine. man that sounds amazing
Old 08-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

lol, 3-wide?

I'm down!
If we get Eric B we can have YOTA ALL OUT!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

OK well good news and bad news from the front

FIRST BAD NEWS

The cam that came with this head is not so good it has no bottom end but it has an ass load of top end at 3,000 but will not work in 4th or 5th gear but 1st through 3rd it kicks ass as soon as it hits 3000 rpm it picks up like nobody's business up to 5400 that's as far as I took it and turns these 35's to 70 mph like nobody's business.

Te exhaust sounds like a bumble bee in heat thought so I may have to find a new direction with that as well but for now I will live with it.

THE GOOD NEWS

THE MOTOR RUNS FLAWLESSLY

I found my issues with the lack of power and it turns out I had a couple vacuum lines crossed but got them figured out and now it run's great all be it the cam issue so I guess the next issue will be to find the right cam to make this motor run correctly so off to studying cams I go with the first choice being ENGNBLDRS 268 cam and see what it will do for me.

Any other suggestions as for a cam you guy's may think will work out good for me please feel free to drop a hint or two.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

I'm really pleased with my 261 from engnbldr

You can really feel the torque at about 1500 RPMs, and then it falls on it's face right at about 4750 RPMs

Does great for a DD, makes merging into highway traffic easy, and about 80 mph put's it right at about 3500 RPMs, so it's right in it's power range on the highway which does great for those quick and easy passes
Old 08-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
idk if its the extra 10-15hp you guys have over me...but i cant even get my motor to hit 3500 rpm in 5th gear...(im gonna get a new muffler and a FULL exhaust(no dumps) and see what that does).

of course ANY kind of downhill grade and i can make it soar past 80 on the speedo(really about 87 ish)..but on flat ground..no way...75 by the speedo is best it'll do..and it takes it a long a$$ time to get there...

of course thats only with 3/4 skinny pedal because my carb needs to be rebuilt..

when i rev my motor anywhere past about 3500 it sounds like its about to fly apart??..lmao just by how high pitched the sound is..
Old 08-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
idk if its the extra 10-15hp you guys have over me...but i cant even get my motor to hit 3500 rpm in 5th gear...(im gonna get a new muffler and a FULL exhaust(no dumps) and see what that does).

of course ANY kind of downhill grade and i can make it soar past 80 on the speedo(really about 87 ish)..but on flat ground..no way...75 by the speedo is best it'll do..and it takes it a long a$$ time to get there...

of course thats only with 3/4 skinny pedal because my carb needs to be rebuilt..

when i rev my motor anywhere past about 3500 it sounds like its about to fly apart??..lmao just by how high pitched the sound is..
I had mine above 90mph earlier on i95, and there was more left in her

that's what I was doing the whole time too ---> <--- grinning from ear to ear, lol
Old 08-22-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i hate you...

i believe i'd rather have a 3.slow than this gutless 22R..its horrible..the dang 3.0 has 50hp on this thing..and like 60lb ft of torque..sure it has its problems..but hey..what motor doesnt..

i think i'll be on the lookout for a 89-95 ext cab 4x4 3.0 5speed..heyyyyy maybe the guy will take my dang '86 as a partial trade!!!...that would be awesome..

i seen a 95 pickup just like the one i want for 4500..only had 78,000miles on it too...and it looked AMAZING..old man drove it..garaged it EVERYDAY..never took it offroad..gah i should have jumped on that...
Old 08-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

OK well good news and bad news from the front

FIRST BAD NEWS

The cam that came with this head is not so good it has no bottom end but it has an ass load of top end at 3,000 but will not work in 4th or 5th gear but 1st through 3rd it kicks ass as soon as it hits 3000 rpm it picks up like nobody's business up to 5400 that's as far as I took it and turns these 35's to 70 miles per hour like nobody's business.

Te exhaust sounds like a bumble bee in heat thought so I may have to find a new direction with that as well but for now I will live with it.

THE GOOD NEWS

THE MOTOR RUNS FLAWLESSLY

I found my issues with the lack of power and it turns out I had a couple vacuum lines crossed but got them figured out and now it run's great all be it the cam issue so I guess the next issue will be to find the right cam to make this motor run correctly so off to studying cams I go with the first choice being ENGNBLDRS 268 cam and see what it will do for me.

Any other suggestions as for a cam you guy's may think will work out good for me please feel free to drop a hint or two.
The exhaust sounded amazing in the video, does it change a lot when she's out on the road at higher RPM's?

I'm glad you found your lack of power problem, sounds like you've got her all iron'd out.

Fink

Quick Reply: Sweet 22re music