Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sweet 22re music

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
i'm gonna weep, sounds sweet. My borla needs a repack, still tryin to figure a good way to do that.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anybody else think the video sounds like its a harley?????..just doesnt SOUND like a 22re..not that its loud..just it sounds like a 2cyl engine??
Old 08-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Good job harley, awesome!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely sweet for a 22re. Good job. Wanna do me a 3.0 now?
Old 08-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
idk if its the extra 10-15hp you guys have over me...but i cant even get my motor to hit 3500 rpm in 5th gear...(im gonna get a new muffler and a FULL exhaust(no dumps) and see what that does).

of course ANY kind of downhill grade and i can make it soar past 80 on the speedo(really about 87 ish)..but on flat ground..no way...75 by the speedo is best it'll do..and it takes it a long a$$ time to get there...

of course thats only with 3/4 skinny pedal because my carb needs to be rebuilt..

when i rev my motor anywhere past about 3500 it sounds like its about to fly apart??..lmao just by how high pitched the sound is..

me either passed 3rd gear

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I'm really pleased with my 261 from engnbldr

You can really feel the torque at about 1500 RPMs, and then it falls on it's face right at about 4750 RPMs

Does great for a DD, makes merging into highway traffic easy, and about 80 miles per hour put's it right at about 3500 RPMs, so it's right in it's power range on the highway which does great for those quick and easy passes
With your 31's it probably does but I have 35's to turn so I think I will be going with the 268 and TED agrees that I would be better off going with the 268 because it has a bit more long term rpm and the bottom is very close to the same and will work just about the same offroad.

I had mine above 90mph earlier on i95, and there was more left in her

that's what I was doing the whole time too ---> <--- grinning from ear to ear, lol
I would love to know what that feels and looks like and with any luck I will soon

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
The exhaust sounded amazing in the video, does it change a lot when she's out on the road at higher RPM's?

I'm glad you found your lack of power problem, sounds like you've got her all iron'd out.

Fink
Yea according to my friend it does so I will run it like this untill I get it all striaghtend out and then worry about the sound because I love the sound as it idle's and since I am not behind me when I drive I guess it will not matter to much to me but I will keep you all updated as I do more with it.

PHILDEFINO
HELL YA I WILL DO THE 3.0 FOR YOU SHIPPING MAYBE AN ISSUE THOUGH.

Last edited by olharleyman; 08-22-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Ordered my new 268 cam from engnbldr this morning hope to have if by wednsday and then I can start the cam swap , anyone have a hot rod 22r/re that is a street racer want a really hot cam for it? I need to do something with this L.C.E. Pro Street cam like to get back just what it cost me for the ENGNBLDR cam which is $118 total L.C. sells it for $159 so this is a good deal for someone and oh ya I drove about 10 miles on it before knowing it will not work with a set of 35's.

Last edited by olharleyman; 08-24-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:26 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
sounds awesome with headphones on (@ the Beach.....yeehaw!.....family sleeping).

Great Job!!!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

YAHOO ENGNBLDR!! TWO DAY'S COAST TO COAST SHIPPING ON MY 268 CAM ORDERED MONDAY IN MY HANDS WEDSNDAY!!

Tomorrow I will redo the cam and set this new one in place and see what I end up with now have a funeral to attend this evening others wise I would be elbows and a hole deep into finishing this motor up so I can get on to my S/C'ed3.4 swap in the 90 runner I will try a new sound clip when I get the cam swapped and see if it sounds different and you all can hear it and tell me what you think.

Here she is

Last edited by olharleyman; 08-26-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
soooo, what are you doing with your LCE cam?

lol, jk, I like my low to mid RPM torque with the 261

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-26-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

soooo, what are you doing with your LCE cam?

lol, jk, I like my low to mid RPM torque with the 261
It can be yours for $120 , if you have a 22r/re street racer I believe this is the cam for it , it pulls so hard from 3-5200k it scary and that's with 35's I can only imagine what it would do with small tires and a light car/truck.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jesus Harley! One half bump of the starter and she starts, man that is SWEET. Well done, well done indeed.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Jesus Harley! One half bump of the starter and she starts, man that is SWEET. Well done, well done indeed.
Ya but that's after I hand cranked a couple times then threw the power to it
Old 08-27-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds nice, I love how it sounds. The engine sounds so smooth, nice job.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

UPDATE:

I just walked in from finishing the install of my new ENGNBLDR 268 cam WOW What a difference from the L.C.E. cam , this one comes on from idle to? don't know it's dark out and I did not want to take it out till I am sure the water is full in the block and I get the fan wired in some where it will do what it is supposed to do it comes on fine but just don't seem to shut off maybe it's because I have not moved it yet? It was wired into the radio fuse so maybe it will work if I am driving and it get's so more air movement.

I will update the video as well tomorrow so you all can hear the difference to me it sounds the same but I did drop the RPM range to get it to lope like my Harley and boy did it sound good but it had a hard time staying running 4-500 RPM

After that I installed the SUPRA AFM and it has a bit more snap in the throttle response to say the least , it also kicked the RPM up a tad so I think I will be happy with it again time will tell but I do like how fast the throttle response is now and I guess I will see how it helps on the road ( I was told it makes 5th to 4th gear drops on hills a little less or fewer times) all in all I think I am going to be very happy with this little rebuild.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:29 PM

oh happy days! that sounds amazing. i was so glad when mine fired up. aww. gotta love that beautiful sound.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

UPDATE:
OK well now that the rain has subsided I have got back to the meat and potato's of this build to finish it all up.

The first thing was to remove the L.C.E> cam and install the ENGENBLDR 268 cam. All went easy and YA I was a bit worried that it all went so happy but it did , I got it all installed and the valves set where they are suggested to bo via ENGNBLDR so it was the moment of truth.

Put it in neutral hit the clutch cancel and hit the key it fired right up like it just came off the assembly line , it ran some smooth and true it was AWESOME , next was timing it and it went right to 8 like it was made to set the idle and idle up and again it went flawlessly.

Next thing was to swap the stock AFM and replace it with the SUPRA AFM again not a flaw the engine did not miss a beat , the extra faster throttle response was noticeable right the idle jumped up about 150-200 rpm so I reset that again but it was a none issue.

The next thing I did was well you guessed it drive this bad boy and see how it run's , At first I was nervious because of the experence with the L.C.E. not really kicking in untill about 3k and ZERO bottom end (I am sure it was or is because of the 35's) but soon as I put it in reverse and started to release the Marlin Crawler 1200 lb hd clutch she started to roll like it was born too.

I got it out on my street and put into first gear and released the clutch again and off I set out on the first ride with the new motor , all I can say is WOW it ran like a dream hit 65 like it was nothing in 4th never got it into 5th but I can tell it will be just as strong and pull just as hard.

I came back home after running the first 15 miles and as we speak I am draining the oil and replacing the oil filter , All I can Say is that if you were wondering about the 268 I can tell you it pulls hard all the way up to 4k which is all the higher I ran it motor and you can feel it pull the whole time it has such a nice feel and pull to it. Unlike the 261 that I understand flattens out at 4700 rpm I believe this 268 will run well into the 5-6k range.

I will update again later I got to go do the oil before dark set'sin but if your thinking about the 268 I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT over the 261 for a daily driver from every thing I have read the bottom end is about the same just the 268 gives you more top end I AM LOVING IT SO FAR.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Fink
Old 09-01-2009, 04:44 PM

Hey Ole Harleyman, where did you buy your cam?? I'd like to look into one of those for my 91 22re. I was looking at your pictures and that build looks "Sweet" Also 55 Pan eh, I've had my 49 Pan for well over 35 years. Panheads forever my friend!
Pigman
Old 09-01-2009, 05:55 PM

Sucker sounds MEAN! Good job, man
Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Pigman
Hey Ole Harleyman, where did you buy your cam?? I'd like to look into one of those for my 91 22re. I was looking at your pictures and that build looks "Sweet" Also 55 Pan eh, I've had my 49 Pan for well over 35 years. Panheads forever my friend!
Pigman
The cam came from ENGNBLDR.com it is the 268 cam very nice cam for the oversize valves and Hi Performance head cost for the cam was $99.90 plus shipping Not sure how it will be on a stock head set up but boy does it work on the big head set up.

Now for the important stuff

THERE'S NO SUBTATUTE for a good PANHEAD I LOVE MINE I have had it for 10 years now. I bought it from the ORIGANAL OWNER and rebuilt it from a basket case.

It was the first one I build and like this yota did it myself finding info where ever I could to put it together. The frame , engine and tranny are all original most of the sheet metal was the same as when the first owner rode it in the 70's including the first PAUGHO 40 over springer with no front fender but I did a lot of updating.

I stretched the tanks , added the Arlin Ness taildragger rear fender but kept the KING/QUEEN seat and the sissy bar. It now has andrew's 4 speed gears , 3" PREMO open belt , s&s Super E , and the rocker box's and outer primary are ribbed aluminium made in the 60's and never re done they are worth an ass load and I guess now someone has remade them , Suicide with a glass knob shifter.

I painted it House Of Kolors Brandywine Candy with two size's of metal flake and two coats of inner clear then cleared on top of that to give it depth Im looking for a set of up sweep fish tails with the origanal panhead exhaust flangs not the bolt on but slip over type if you have a set by the way.

Anyway here's a few picture's of it after most of the build

Here's my 98 dresser I redid from an ultra built a 113 for it and a 6 speed tranny the rest you can see for yourself lol

Quick Reply: Sweet 22re music