Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pizza Cutters...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those pictures dont show it so well, but this does... that the fat tires help you float on the snow..

notice how deep it is....

33x12.50s on my yota, just a locked rear

oh, im sorry... are you stuck?? 10.5 wide tires? too bad..... hahaha

he had lockers front and rear just for your info

earlier that day

granted he is lower, but notice do i need lift? no... is anything under the snow?

nope

oh yeah that guy was cool though, he rammed through whatever he could at like 40mph

his GF didnt like that though
Old 01-27-2008, 10:58 PM

boo ranger

jk. and ya if you have the opportunity, or your terrain calls for it, go wide.

wider tires are proven to work better in deep mud or snow where there is no hope in gripping hardpack on the bottom, hoping to "float across"
Old 01-27-2008, 10:59 PM

so man, before you try to flame.. get some shots or proof of a pizza cutter on like 5 feet of snow..
Old 01-27-2008, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by sh0kk86
boo ranger

jk. and ya if you have the opportunity, or your terrain calls for it, go wide.

wider tires are proven to work better in deep mud or snow where there is no hope in gripping hardpack on the bottom, hoping to "float across"

exactly..

yeah yeah the cheap truck days.. i got that thing for $400 and wheeled it like a mad man

then i got my 85

a lot of trails are fine with skinnies, where you need clearance as an utmost..

but a lot of other trails you need fatties

this

Old 01-27-2008, 11:17 PM

Old 01-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n16ht5
so man, before you try to flame.. get some shots or proof of a pizza cutter on like 5 feet of snow..
No one ever debated the fact that skinny tires wouldn't be better in the deep snow. And I'm quite sure that AxleIke isn't ignorant or dumb enough to debate you on that issue. I do believe earlier it was stated that anything less than 5" and a skinny would be better, anything over that, wider.

As far as asking the question on pirate, if you think about it, alot of them are running skinny tires, lol. 12.50 for anything over 35 is skinny

Don't really think you proved much with the photos you posted that none of us, including AxleIke and since TC is in the same beliefs, that he wouldn't agree with you.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by n16ht5
wow that looks so hard

i think everyone here needs a big

go post on pirate forums that skinny tires are better period... hahaha

for this kind of wheeling.. you NEED big fat tires. not just tall, FAT...

this is my old rig on 36x12.50s

and heres going through a small avalanche over the road

so you think youre so smart.. keep your panties on

no way a 36x950 could go through that.. sorry

another snow trip, 35x1250

Whoooo! Another awesome attitude! I appreciate it pal. Found another person on YT who is a total jerk!

Where to start?

Okay, first of all, this is NOT pirate.

Second of all, in which of those pictures you posted did you have an early toyota IFS truck?

IN CASE YOU COULDN'T READ, WE ARE ARGUING SKINNY BEING BETTER THAN FAT IN THIS THREAD ONLY AS IT APPLIES TO EARLY TOYOTA IFS

Fat tires break IFS steering, skinny do not. Was that too fast for you? It's only been said about 100 billion times in this thread already.

Third of all, no, you jerk, that picture isn't hard. As a matter of fact, I NEVER said it was. What i did say is that I didn't break my steering there. I posted another picture earlier, which I'm guessing you didn't read, which showed a truck in the EXACT SAME OBSTACLE, with fat tires and broke steering.

Lastly, no one argued that skinny was better in snow. So cool pictures, but nice, pointless argument.

Actually, why are you even here? You clearly are pretty hard core. At least on Pirate, you can piss and moan about douchebag IFS drivers with all your friends. Lots of us webwheeling IFS losers here pal. Your reputation might suffer.

Last edited by AxleIke; 01-28-2008 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AxleIke-

I totally agree with you on almost every single thing you post here, you seem to know your stuff pretty good, do yourself a favor and do what I am going to: unsubscribe from this thread, I gave up.

Some people on here are only here to say how good the stuff they have is and why they are right, some are here to try and give good, decent, correct advice and carry on with constructive discussions about what works and what doesn't. From my experience, you fall into the second group.

Threads like this and a couple others have really turned me off to this site and question why I even come here. I really enjoy a lot of the info and discussion on here, and will still come back.

To the original poster: I apologize, I am sorry that I, and a couple other people turned your thread into a pissing contest. Hopefully you got something out of it.

Edit: And for what it's worth, I don't mind the way skinny tires look, AxleIke yours looks fine, maybe a little skinny for my tastes, but it's not horrible as some would like to think, and it's your truck, and obviously it works for you, in looks, durability and capability, so ftw

Last edited by b.miller123; 01-28-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

That is some dang good advice.

I would agree with most of that. Especially how sometimes I start getting my panties up in a bunch over stupid crap. Like this stuff.

So, BORT, and n16ht5, Sorry for jumping up and down. You have every right to think my truck looks stupid.

Anyway, OP, you can get the skinnies if you want. You've got pretty good examples of both.

Apologies to all for the rants and raves.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Ike, hold the door, I'm coming too...
Old 01-28-2008, 07:41 AM
DCS

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw a few posts on this thread saying fat was better than skinny in mud.

That's wrong.

Go to some mudding contests. The winners almost always have tall skinny's.

Unless you're talking about monster trucks or highly modded offroaders with tens of thousands of dollars in lift and axles and whhels and tires, the only time a wide tire is better than a skinny tire is in sand or snow.

For streetable vehicles like ours, drop your psi on fatties and float across sand or snow. However, if you try that in mud, you will spin, pack off, and go nowhere.

That's my .02.

But I only have 25 years experience offroading, so I could be wrong.

Y'all chill out. No need to get excited about tires.

PS - for another perspective on tires, check out heavy military vehicles. Function rules over form in the design of those vehicles. They never think twice about "looks". What kinda tires do you see most often on those trucks?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

I'm going with CJ and Ike. Wait up guys!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i run 235/85/16s and i LOVE them. i cant stand wide tires.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 AM

ORIGNAL POSTER HERE:

So I obviously opened a can of worms. Some like em fat...and some like em skinny.

Each is good in their own respect. For the type of driving/wheeling I do...skinny will work just fine.

No need for everyone to get on thier respective .
Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by tc
IMHO, up to a 33x10.50 looks good on these trucks.

Now, the 34x9.50 TSL's were pizza cutters!

WOW! those wouldnt look out of place on a baja bug! lol im sure you could cut up a pretty mean pizza with those bad boys.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:26 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eighty5yota
WOW! those wouldnt look out of place on a baja bug! lol im sure you could cut up a pretty mean pizza with those bad boys.
Yeah, they're pretty skinny! Only way to fit a tire that is the same height as a 35" MTR with no lift though...

First of all, I can tell you, my truck floats just fine with 33x10.50 aired down to 15 psi or so. The biggest reason AxleIke's truck won't float is the rim width and inability to go to low psi without losing the bead. The LENGTH of the contact patch (determined by tire diameter and pressure) is much more important to function than WIDTH of contact patch (pretty much only determined by width of tire)

Next, snow pix don't prove much of anything - there is too much "unknown" - the consistency of the snow, ambient temperature, gearing, tire pressure, etc. Was the Disco aired down at all? I'm guessing probably not.

But in the end, I agree with the above - use whatever you like. I will use tall/skinny and have more ground clearance under the diffs and less stress on the steering thankyouverymuch.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i'm just poking around here, and come across this thread. i've read enough here to know that AxleIke, and tc know what they're talking about.

some of you guys (you know who you are), need to 1)read what the thread is ABOUT before you bother posting a moot argument, and 2) watch some of TC's videos, and then try telling us that tall, skinny tired, IFS trucks aren't capable off-roaders.

heh, i'd like to get my truck to the point that tc's is right now, because i KNOW with some experience off the paved highway, i'll be able to go where i please.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:52 PM

if you run wide tires... upgrade your steering.. or know how to pick the right line...

im not stupid.

I ran 37s on stock explorer axles on my BroncoII, with stock steering (TTB) and didnt break anything, and wheeled the heck out if it. I know of people that run up to 38x12.50s on their toyota IFS and dont break anything.. it all depends on what youre doing and how you wheel. if you break, get better steering... I couldnt care so much, but you had to try to flame the Belize runner, give me a break.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
As said, not my rig.

Essentially, it seems that both of us were right. Big fat tires are great for looking cool, and on road driving, especially when driving down roads in Belize where there are huge pot holes.

Skinny tires are better for offroad.

See how nice it is when we all get along

I know what can break steering..

I have beat on my rigs hard enough to know what breaks and what doesnt...
and how to break stuff.

heres my stock steering on my old BroncoII with stock steering... never broke it. only broke hubs and a t case

and heres a testament of how hard I wheeled it...

Old 01-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Last edited by AxleIke; 01-30-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Pizza Cutters...