86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Odd 4WD Connector

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd 4WD Connector

I've got a '95 4Runner, 4WD 5SP. Originally a 3.0 (now 1UZ-swapped).

I've finally gotten around to doing some less critical wiring and general cleanup since the swap, and I thought it'd be fun to wire in the 4WD switch so that the little light would come on on the dash when I shifted into 4WD.

I assumed it was the same 2-pin connector as the reverse switch, so I bought a 2-pin Toyota reverse/4WD pigtail from Ballenger (https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pr...4aAhBVEALw_wcB)
But, of course, when I actually crawled under the truck, I found something different:

I checked the Toyota RM1022E ("wiring repair guide") that's widely available online, and unless I'm mistaken, that's a male 2-pin plug, part# 90980-10580:

It's got the two pins, the "L" shape plastic keyway thing, and and open square hole below pin 2. The female counterpart that goes with this plug, again, according to the RM1022E, is part# 90980-10581:

But I can't find anything about either of these plugs. According to Amayama, the male part number only came on the Toyota Century...I find that hard to believe. The female plug shows up on Amayama as well, but it doesn't say what it's from. Searching regular dealership sites comes up with nothing, searching either of those part numbers in forums comes up with nothing. Ballenger only has the one pigtail I linked above, which is the correct pattern for my reverse switch (and looks the same as other 90's Toyota reverse switches I've worked with).

So, has anyone seen this plug before on their 2nd gen (or other gen)? Or is it from some other Toyota vehicle and a previous owner put it in the transfer case because they had it lying around?

Thank you!

Last edited by crevasse; 10-02-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:38 AM

Received 823 Likes on 650 Posts
For my standpoint, it's much easier to trace wiring from the wire colors (that's what's shown in the EWD), rather than from a picture of a connector.

If your connector goes to W-B and P-G (Pink-Green), it is probably the Transfer-Neutral position switch. That wire goes through the ADD indicator switch (or jumper if you don't have ADD) to a G-Y to the combination meter.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:18 AM

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough: that plug is not the wiring harness. That plug is a little 3 inch pigtail coming from the transfer case indicator switch. I would be tracing this (generic picture for reference):

No mystery as to where the wires go.

I just want to know the shape of the plug so I can buy the right pigtail.
Old 10-03-2023, 12:12 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts

If I remember correctly, many connectors do not show up on the parts diagrams by themselves. Usually only the whole wiring harness or pigtail is called out. For the most part, only the the parts that are called out on the diagrams will have specific listings under the "what this fits" tab, which is why your truck is not listed as using that connector.

I imagine the existing connector on your truck is the correct one.

You can either buy the matching connector to what is already there, or use a different pair of connectors all together by repinning the new connectors or splicing pigtails.

The following users liked this post:
Jimkola (10-15-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 12:17 PM

Right, I’d love to buy the matching connector, but I can’t find it. None of them I’ve bought fit my transfer case switch. They almost fit, but that little “L” shape in the center of the plug you can see in my photo prevents the “suggested” pigtail from fitting.

I know I could cut it apart and splice it but my goal was to NOT have to do that. I (wrongly, I’m realizing) assumed it was a common plug shape I could just buy.

And I don’t feel like dropping the transfer case to switch out the indicator switch. I’ll just leave it unplugged at that point.

Last edited by crevasse; 10-03-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 08:37 AM
YT Community Team

Received 851 Likes on 604 Posts
The EWD manual for that year vehicle would confirm the connector design.
Replacement connectors were a bitch to look up bitd. Sometimes we got lucky and the part number was molded into the plastic itself.
Toyota did issue a large tackle-type box that was specifically for wire repair. it had all sorts of pigtail wires of various gauges with the terminals already crimped on. It came with manuals that had images of connectors, along with their Toyota part numbers. I don't think you'll find images in the standard places to look, like amayama or Epc-data