Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New rebuild long block, puffs smoke at startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it doesn't bother you, leave it alone. But, I would bet my truck that the valve stem seals are leaking. I don't know of anything else that would cause smoke on start up only. 22re valve stem seals are a piece of cake to replace in the truck. Tons of room to work and only 8 seals. The only delicate part is getting the cam out without disturbing the head gasket. As I said in an earlier post, reinstall the head bolts with spacers after pulling the rocker assembly. Once the cam is out, you can use a compression tester hose with the shrader valve removed to air up the cylinder and hold the valves in place while you remove the spring and replace the seal. Gotta be a video on youtube somewhere. You can even check the guides after pulling the spring and seal. Just hold the valve stem, disconnect the air hose and see how much sideways play it has. Just don't drop it or you might be pulling the head anyway.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shorty Style in any post 1985?

Originally Posted by osv
...cheaper if you mail order the dipstick, but however you get it, compare the length, and the full/empty marks... sometimes the dipstick tube in the block is the wrong length for the stick...
Seems like from the shopping there is one called a Shorty Style, iceperformance.com says "replacement for the 1985-1995 22R/RE engines."

My tube is just a hair under 8" from block to top. The picture of the part looks just like mine.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:28 AM
osv

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
the dipstick tube on a block in my garage is right at 8"... on the motor in the truck, a full gallon of oil fills to the "f" mark, when changing the oil, and reusing the huge pl30001 oil filter.

so even if the lengths don't match, you can re-mark the the stick, when using the factory recommended fill amount.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by osv
the dipstick tube on a block in my garage is right at 8"... on the motor in the truck, a full gallon of oil fills to the "f" mark, when changing the oil, and reusing the huge pl30001 oil filter.

so even if the lengths don't match, you can re-mark the the stick, when using the factory recommended fill amount.
That's an interesting observation. My last oil change had me wondering if maybe the kid I bought the truck from (dumbass) lost the OE stick and got a replacement from a junk yard. Normally when I change oil I go slowly on filling, checking the stick to get the level right and not over. I actually like to run about a quarter quart under the f mark.

This last oil change all I had were the big jugs (5 qt?). I had one partial and one new one. I pretty much poured the stuff right in, trying to get as close to possible to 4.5 qt since that's what I see out there on the interwebs most often posted up. I don't have my owner's manual, but apparently it says something like 4.9 quarts with filter?

The upshot is that I had to crawl under it again to let out about half a quart after I was done. Which is of course annoying.

So yeah, I want to be sure I get THE OEM stick for my truck.

By the way, I used a wrap of duct tape around the seal of my current dipstick (going to replace anyway), it's really tight in there now, and it seems to have had zero effect on the puffing. Which is predictable.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:32 AM
osv

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
my '87 fsm says that it's 4.5 quarts with a new filter, and 4 quarts when not changing the filter.

fwiw, those big jugs are one gallon, which is 4 qts.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by osv
my '87 fsm says that it's 4.5 quarts with a new filter, and 4 quarts when not changing the filter.

fwiw, those big jugs are one gallon, which is 4 qts.
Actually, the ones I had are this (5.1 q):

Is it a little strange that that jug doesn't hold an even amount of quarts or an even amount of liters? 5.1 and 4.83?

I had one with like 2.5 qt which I poured straight in, then I probably tried to put more or less exactly 2 more quarts in from the new one. It was overfilled.

But I could have easily goofed, pouring from those stupid big jugs. I'm going to get at least a couple individual quart bottles for the next change so that I can fill them individually from the jugs. The good prices are always on the jugs these days, but it's harder to put in exactly what you want, and for me at least it's harder to avoid spilling a little trying to get the stream going and pointed into the filler hole.

Last edited by coloradotom; 11-04-2013 at 08:03 AM.