86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exterior Rollcage Dimensions??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exterior Rollcage Dimensions??

I'd like to start a new project, and put a full body rollcage around my truck. Its just a wheeler now as I'm buying a Honda to drive on the road so I dont much care if people look at it wierd on the road. This is just some crappy thing I drew up to get a basic idea, does anyone know where I can get a hold of the dimensions from someone elses exterior rollcage project so it will be a lot easier for me to just copy off of? Thanks.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ide say the best thing to do would be your own dimensions as to everyones cage is different. That or find a cage online you like and try to get a hold of that person to take some measurements. Just my .02
That would be a pretty cool looking cage be sure to add roof cross bars and stuff
Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
usually exo's are custom....

just start bending some steel!

nice rig... looks familiar
Old 12-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
4rnr (john) on here has one on his 2nd gen that he fabbed up himself. Maybe he can help.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
usually exo's are custom....

just start bending some steel!

nice rig... looks familiar

HAha noo way! I swear to god everyone knows the guy I bought it from. Everytime I'm out wheeling at our local OHV area people always walk up to me and ask where "Jeff's at." I oughta paint it and get this cage going so people will call it "My rig"

Last edited by rocket; 12-17-2007 at 02:47 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SKNKWRX
4rnr (john) on here has one on his 2nd gen that he fabbed up himself. Maybe he can help.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...cture057-1.jpg
http://4xinnovations.com/pages/custom.htm
Old 12-17-2007, 05:29 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First, search on "exo cage".

Think triangles - your design has far too many squares. 4rnr's exo is an excellent example of how it's done right. (although I would have taken all the roof pieces to a common node instead of having that box in the middle)
Old 12-17-2007, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by rocket
I didnt even know it was on his page, he was a big help making some of my ideas reality. perticularly the bends around the snorkle. I would have probably freaked and thrown the piece of tube throught the window. But Adam has TONS of patience and great tube skills.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by tc
First, search on "exo cage".

Think triangles - your design has far too many squares. 4rnr's exo is an excellent example of how it's done right. (although I would have taken all the roof pieces to a common node instead of having that box in the middle)
There was method to my madness. I beleive the roof is stronger this way. One of the problems with exo'ing a 4door is the large void between the A and C pillar. By bracing the roof side to side above the doors I beleive I lessened the chance of the roof line buckling/flexing. Especialy since the cage is designed to lean into canyon walls and trees.

The second cross brace (farther back) is there for a couple reasons. One is the first tube is too far forward (see above for reason). The second is I want the cage to be easily modified if I ever decide to chop the back off the truck.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KTMR1der03
HAha noo way! I swear to god everyone knows the guy I bought it from. Everytime I'm out wheeling at our local OHV area people always walk up to me and ask where "Jeff's at." I oughta paint it and get this cage going so people will call it "My rig"
lol ya alot of people know jeff and his (old) rig....
Old 12-17-2007, 10:49 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4rnr
There was method to my madness. I beleive the roof is stronger this way. One of the problems with exo'ing a 4door is the large void between the A and C pillar. By bracing the roof side to side above the doors I beleive I lessened the chance of the roof line buckling/flexing. Especialy since the cage is designed to lean into canyon walls and trees.

The second cross brace (farther back) is there for a couple reasons. One is the first tube is too far forward (see above for reason). The second is I want the cage to be easily modified if I ever decide to chop the back off the truck.
I see what you mean, but it is important to bring all the pieces into common nodes whenever possible. This minimizes the HAZ and the torque trying to twist the exo apart.

I would have divided the truck in half, but had an X in the front and another in the back of that division.

Yours is still one of the best designed exos I've ever seen.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by tc
I see what you mean, but it is important to bring all the pieces into common nodes whenever possible. This minimizes the HAZ and the torque trying to twist the exo apart.

I would have divided the truck in half, but had an X in the front and another in the back of that division.

Yours is still one of the best designed exos I've ever seen.
thanks

Well the design in the 2 halfs of the roof ( \ l / ) was in order to support the vehicle on its lid. I felt that "x's" would transfer the load to the side bars, which I was unconfident in (again due to the whole 4door thing). So I wanted the load to be spread front to back. (sidenote: the bends in the lateral bars make them MUCH less likely to bend and contact the roof, instead they will want to straiten and thus transfer the load by pushing out to the front, back, and middle tubes. Like a peak roof on a catherdral) However, that design is not complete or sound until I do a windshield bar. Plus if the truck is ever on its lid the top of the windshield will see most of the weight.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:44 PM
tc
Contributing Member

I think the exo will be mondo strong as it is - like I said, one of the best designed ones I've ever seen in terms of triangulation and strength. If nothing else, it will do a good job of spreading the load along the body so that IT can be as strong as possible.

What size/wall/type tubing did you use?

So I don't have to keep going back to the link

Last edited by tc; 12-17-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by tc
I think the exo will be mondo strong as it is - like I said, one of the best designed ones I've ever seen in terms of triangulation and strength. If nothing else, it will do a good job of spreading the load along the body so that IT can be as strong as possible.

What size/wall/type tubing did you use?

So I don't have to keep going back to the link

1.5" .120 wall DOM

Those pics are over a year old heres a newer one 1-2" lower and new shoes (37" Rockers) beadlocks....

Last edited by 4rnr; 12-17-2007 at 05:30 PM.