86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

checking the frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
checking the frame

first off new to toyotas had fords all my life (302s) guy i went muddin with had a little toy pickup that never seemed to quit.
so i read somewhere that the frames are notoriously prone to rot in these trucks is there a way to tell if the frames to far gone beside obvious hole seen something about a hammer test?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 PM

Smack the frame with a ball peen hammer (Be reasonable, not so hard you'd dent good frame), rusty crap boxes, you'll put the hammer right through the frame or it'll at least sound flat/dead. If the hammer bounces and the frame rings, the steel's good. I've never personally seen the famed frame cancer outside the rust belt, I've spent a fair bit of time under Toyota pickups from the west coast and none have had any frame rust issues.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 PM

thanks down here in fl humidity is retarded im origanly from mo where everything rust so just cautious is there anything else to look for when going over a potential rig?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:15 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
The Pickups are not actually notorious for rust. If there are issues, check where the IFS mounts connect to the frame. Also, check the frame around the back end, pretty much from the front of the bed to the rear axle. The issue Toyota had was with the early Tacomas and Tundras. They actually recalled the frames and replaced the entire frame free of charge for customers.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not sure which year you are refering to but as far as the 79-95 that I am most familiar with, the shackle below the fuel tank is the biggest area to rust first but really give the from the cab to the rear of the frame a good testing. I use a ball peen hammer like as mentioned before.

I have a parts truck now which is the worse I have ever seen and it is rusted even behind the front wheels.

If it is a truck that has seen alot of dirt and mud or even for just good maintiance, there are plenty of access holes along the frame that I use a high pressure air hose and usually I start in the middle of the frame and work from the center to the front and center to the rear of the frame. Then I do the same with a water hose with a small nozzle on the end of it and you could be surprised at what all will come out of the frame.

It could take a few times of doing it this way to get the dirt out. Then I use an air hose with a suction hose attached to it and spray the inside of the frame with what ever oil I have available
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Not sure which year you are refering to but as far as the 79-95 that I am most familiar with, the shackle below the fuel tank is the biggest area to rust first but really give the from the cab to the rear of the frame a good testing. I use a ball peen hammer like as mentioned before.

I have a parts truck now which is the worse I have ever seen and it is rusted even behind the front wheels.

If it is a truck that has seen alot of dirt and mud or even for just good maintiance, there are plenty of access holes along the frame that I use a high pressure air hose and usually I start in the middle of the frame and work from the center to the front and center to the rear of the frame. Then I do the same with a water hose with a small nozzle on the end of it and you could be surprised at what all will come out of the frame.

It could take a few times of doing it this way to get the dirt out. Then I use an air hose with a suction hose attached to it and spray the inside of the frame with what ever oil I have available
. I'm goin too look at a 88 and 91 Saturday extra cabs 4wd and 5 speed both are dlx 7 ft bed
Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hope it works out for you. They are both different bodystyles, but basically they are basically the same truck. For the most part it is sheet metal differences and interior difference. Once you get beyond the body, Toyota really didnt change much. Frames arent interchangeable, but looking at them you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. Either one you would be happy with it is going to be the body style that you favor more in my opinion.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hope it works out for you. They are both different bodystyles, but basically they are basically the same truck. For the most part it is sheet metal differences and interior difference. Once you get beyond the body, Toyota really didnt change much. Frames arent interchangeable, but looking at them you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. Either one you would be happy with it is going to be the body style that you favor more in my opinion.
i like both bodies from what i understand 22re is the motor you want from this period both have them have it ,strait trucks askin 4k apiece seems high but they both have rebuilds one 10k old and the other is 30k which as i understand isnt much on that motor?