86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re problems.. help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re problems.. help!

I have an 89 pickup with a 22re. It's had a little bit of a bog when romping on the throttle for about a month but I figured it was the cold. Today it bogged out completely. It will start and idle fine, but as soon as the throttle is touched it bogs and sounds like its starved for gas. After it warmed up a little you can push the throttle and it will pop and sputter up to about 2000 rpm. as I let off the throttle it will run smooth and actually rev up. It has new plugs, wires, new injectors and a new fuel filter. I have already thrown in a few cans of gas treatment and made sure the timeing was on. My guess would be sensor or fuel pump related but I was wondering anyone could shed some light. Thanks

joe
Old 02-22-2007, 05:04 PM

Check the TPS.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:06 AM

Or your AFM is not opening. Stick your fingers in the AFM and make sure you can move the flap freely.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:34 AM

I have checked the throttle position sensor and it is within the ohm ranges that are given in the chiltons book. The maf sensor opens i have played with it a little but I am not sure how to properly test it. I was hoping the ecu would default if it was removed, but the motor just dies.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:52 AM

Vacuum hoses checked/replaced?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:30 PM

I have checked all the vacuum hoses with a can of startingfluid
Old 02-23-2007, 03:34 PM

My friend had that problem and fixed it with a new alternator. Try the battery first if it's not new already, then swap out the alternator.

If it's not the alternator, then return it. It's easy enough to swap out.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:50 PM

Sound like air problem. Check the AFM.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 PM

I replaced the fuel pump on sunday and drained the tank. it had some dirt in it but there was no rust. I put clean gas in it and it ran great no missing or sputtering. about three hours later I left it idling for about 15 minutes. It started doing the same thing barely keeping itself running when you touch the gas but it still idles fine. I am putting a new fuel filter in tommorow and got a maf from a junk yard to go in tomorrow too. any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2007, 04:44 PM

jayfeather

having the same problem wondering if you got your truck going
Old 10-11-2007, 08:47 AM

same problem

hi i am brand new to this forum and i am having exactly the same exact problem as this with my 89 pickup. I had a bad idle problem so i replaced the maf sensor, and it would idle just fine, but after it just wouldnt rev up unless you went on the throttle slowly, still sputtering, and barely enough power to make it move, the sputtering got noticeably better with new plugs, cap and rotor, but still sputters. let me know how this works out for you and if you find anything new out
Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 AM

If the inflow of air is clear. And you are sure it's not any of the previous problems, less likely but still possible is backpressure. Are your cats clogged? I would suspect the problem to lie somewhere along the intake path, but if it's not that, then ignition. So, I gots nothing for ya except cat, Maybe. Honestly it could be your alternator and you don't have to yank it to check it. Just limp the truck to Advance or Orielly and have them check your alternator and battery for free.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 AM

take the 02 out of the exaugst pipe and see if it runs better that will let you bypass a possibly clogged cat
Old 10-11-2007, 12:22 PM

after i put my new maf sensor in, it would idle fine, but the cat would glow red hot, and it shot a solid blue flame out the back, cut the pipe right before the cat, and it still would sputter bad when giving it gas, put it back on and it isn't glowing anymore but still isn't drivable
Old 10-12-2007, 01:44 PM

Motor Bogging

Originally Posted by jayfeather
I have an 89 pickup with a 22re. It's had a little bit of a bog when romping on the throttle for about a month but I figured it was the cold. Today it bogged out completely. It will start and idle fine, but as soon as the throttle is touched it bogs and sounds like its starved for gas. After it warmed up a little you can push the throttle and it will pop and sputter up to about 2000 rpm. as I let off the throttle it will run smooth and actually rev up. It has new plugs, wires, new injectors and a new fuel filter. I have already thrown in a few cans of gas treatment and made sure the timeing was on. My guess would be sensor or fuel pump related but I was wondering anyone could shed some light. Thanks

joe
Have you pulled any codes ?
How come noone ever says "Air Filter" hehe
Here is the Online FSM you can use for your motor :
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

And Here is the Test Walkthrough for the TPS :
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

The 93 FSM has the tests for the TPS as well as the AFM/VAFM or anything else your heart desires -Yota wise I mean ..........
I guess I would make sure my plugs are gapped OEM gap instead of the aftermarket gap unless you got NGK or Nippondenso Plugs then I hear you don't have to check .
I don't see Cap and Rotor in your list ........are they good , no carbon traces in cap or on rotor button ?
No arcing on wires to ground or to each other ( I know you said they are new )
Air Filter hehe , not on your list
Throttle Body Clean ?
if all that is good then I would imagine it would have to be vacumn or timing , possibly your EGR stuck open , it would cause some pretty serious low end problems.
I wouldn't have thought it but another thread the guy was having that kind of problem and his valves were way out of adjustment but he said he was fouling plugs as well .
Check the obvious and go from there

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-12-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
AFM test procedure on the page below:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AFM/index.shtml

Might check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator, make sure it is hooked up properly.