86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st gen gas leak / fuel pump bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
1st gen gas leak / fuel pump bracket

It started with trying to take out the fuel pump so I could put a fitting on the plate for my aux gas tank to drain into the main tank. In the process of trying to take off the pressure flex line I quickly sprung a leak in the rust/cancer infested metal line on top of the tank (the one shooting off towards the lower left)

Initially I sealed the leak, so I could move the truck around, with some cotton gauze soaked with JB Kwik wrapped tight around the line.

From my research, Toyota wants ~$150 or so for just the fuel pump bracket so I figured I'd just fix it myself. I finished yanking the fuel pump out, took the pump off the bracket and let it all dry. I cut off the 14mm nut/fitting on the fuel tank side and drilled it out to 21/64" (just a hair bigger than 5/16") since it was previously brazed solid to the metal line. FYI, there is enough material on that fitting to drill it to 3/8" if you need the extra fuel flow, but unless you're heavily modified, there is no point to it. I cleaned off the last bit of metal line sticking out the top of the plate and drilled a 5/16" hole through the original hole. I picked up some 5/16" brake line (same as original line) and bent it to the same shape as the original, slid the 14mm onto the new line and made an inverted flare to seal against the original flex line. I very carefully made 2 small tacks from the plate to the new line to hold it in place (easy to burn through steel brake line) and sealed it all with some regular JB Weld. Originally the steel lines were sealed with brass to the plate, but I don't have an oxy-torch to do that. Before tacking the line to the plate, I reinstalled the fuel pump to make sure everything was lined up properly - the only thing holding the pump in place is the rubber hose from the metal line and a small rubber grommet on the bottom. This is the finished product

So there you have it, the proper $10 way to fix a leaking fuel pump line

I also drilled a hole and added my extra fitting for the aux gas tank with 3/8" line using the same proceedure

I got it all back together and started the truck, no leaks at the tank, but now I have a leak where the flex line attaches to the frame rail (probably did that while I was trying to get the flex line off) :lame: so next week I'm dropping the tank (might lift it 1 inch in the process ) and replacing the whole damn line from tank to firewall using 5/16" line - the original line is a serious maze of twists and bends, so I'm thinking I'll just run and secure it on top of the frame rail for simplicity.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your fix is way cheaper than buying new but after 17 years on the truck I did not mind putting a new one on. I should look under there and see how it looks a year later (I did it last summer)!.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:50 AM

I probably will end up buying one anyway, but I really don't have the cash right now. Besides, it kept me busy for any afternoon
Old 09-27-2009, 04:35 AM

fuel line repair

Here's the rest of the fix from that mess -
the fuel line on the frame rail of my '88 4runner was leaking right where it connects to the flex line going to the gas tank. the rest of the line running the length of the frame rail was perfect so I didn't want to replace the whole thing (though I thought of it). The problem was that it was just too rusted (this was after I just broke it off)

I found this kit at NAPA for <$15, the threaded fitting fits the existing flex hose and it comes with a compression fitting to attach to the existing fuel line (I've used compression fittings on PS lines, so 50psi of fuel pressure will not stress it). This kit come with 30" and 18" of line, but you could just use the fitting and use your own 5/16" hard line (brake line) if you need a different length

I cut off the original "flare" and moved the threaded fittign to the other end of the pipe - there is a slight crimp on the line (to prevent the fitting from falling off) that would have prevented me from making a nice inverted flare on the line. Note: I had to use a wire wheel on the end for the compression fitting to get it to slide on nicely

All done, hard line was bent using a tool I bought at some parts store ages ago
Old 09-27-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had a helluva time a year ago when i had to drop my tank too. everything i tried to remove broke, so i had to replace everything too. ended up jerry rigging some generic flex line that i got from autozone with some equal pressure hose clamps. it's worked great for a year so far! not to mention holy hell is that a PITA to get that gas tank back in place with all the hoses properly attached!