84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Transfer Case Parking Brake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case Parking Brake?

Alright so as of right now my truck doesn't have a parking brake. Witch personally I don't mind all that much. But the thing is here on PEI we have to get a Motor Vehicle Inspection yearly. And I was aloud to slide the first time because I had just got the truck but before this spring I'm gonna need to have a parking brake. Now the problem is that al the guts in my brake drums for the parking brake are gone, nothing there. And nt to mention the cable is all busted up and broke off.

So that got me to thinking how it'd be a good excuse to get a transfer case parking brake. Not to mention if I deside to do a disc brake conversion in the rear in the future i'll still have a parking brake. So as of now I don't really see a downside other than maybe the price.

So What I'm asking of you is maybe some feedback from anyone who has used it before. And I'd also like to know the best way to get one, living in canada kinda limits my options for online stores, and if I could I'd like to support local. Any advice?
Old 10-11-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont have any useful info but this sounds like a good idea, ive seen this kind of thing on pirate in some of the build threads, may want to check it out.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I used All Pro offroads rear disc conversion kit and also picked up their transfer case ebrake kit.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/parking_brake/

It's really easy to put on and works great. I use it everyday. Here's another place that makes a similar kit:

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...uct.php?id=142

Hope this sparks some ideas for some local fabrication.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
before you invest any money in anything, contact your government entity and ask them about the legality of a driveshaft mounted parking brake.
down here, many states won't allow it even if it is a purely cable operated option because of the nature of brakes.
cost considered, it'd probably be cheaper to get new cables, equalizer, adjusters and the drum hardware to restore stock parking brakes than it would be to install a driveshaft mounted brake. honestly, how much can you pick up a complete rear end for your truck with hubs and all compared to the kit?
Old 10-12-2008, 02:11 PM

Ya I'm picking up a 91 Pickup for parts soon hopefully so I might be able to get all the parking brake stuff I need from it. Well see how it goes. As for the legality of it I don't think that would be a problem, consider I got through inspection with no e-brake at all. I don't think there's anything in our highway code that mentions a transfer case parking brake. I wouldn't be surprized If i would be the first person here to have one. (our whole province only has about 139,407 people)
Old 10-12-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by JasonWin
Ya I'm picking up a 91 Pickup for parts soon hopefully so I might be able to get all the parking brake stuff I need from it. Well see how it goes. As for the legality of it I don't think that would be a problem, consider I got through inspection with no e-brake at all. I don't think there's anything in our highway code that mentions a transfer case parking brake. I wouldn't be surprized If i would be the first person here to have one. (our whole province only has about 139,407 people)
the 91 parking brake parts are very different from the early models... even different than my 88 so keep that in mind.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Skys offroad t-case driveline brake.

I think it's important to mention a few things about how these beasts work and their drawbacks and advantages.

First of all, drum brakes SUCK. I converted my rear to disc (hence why i got the tcase brake). My original parking brake worked fine but I got effing fed up with dealing with the drums after every mud/water infested wheeling trip and just plain sick of working on them. Those springs really get on ones nerves.

Advantages.. well it looks cool =) It's tucked up and away from water/rocks etc and pretty much will never wear out. so that ends the advantages.

Disadvantages. It's weak. You have to pull your guts out to get it to really GRIP. You have some options for where to connect the cable on the leverage arm but even if you tweak it so you have pull leverage it still is hard to get it to really grip. But this is just a typical physical trait of a "disc brake" setup. Drums just grip better and require less force to apply more friction.

Also if your rear-end is "open dif" ... and you're on a incline... and one tire is either off the ground or has severly little traction. The dif will spin just like you jacked your rear end up and put the truck in gear and spun the tires.. The tires will spin opposite each other. .... but none the less, the truck will roll backwards if a tire is off the ground or just (say.. on ice)...

Things to consider =) don't expect a miracle with these things, lol. Theres a good reason they incorporate parking brakes into both rear brakes, at the wheels. =)
Old 10-12-2008, 02:38 PM

yeah, I guess I forgot to mention the "what happens if one wheel slips" scenario, which as mentioned means the truck will slide regardless of the application of the driveshaft parking brake.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:39 PM

As long as the 91 rear end is the same gearing I should be able to just swap the whole thing in right? This way I could probably take my 85 rear end and do a disc brake conversion on it. I also eventually plan on putting in a selectible locker and maybe 5.29s with some bigger tires. Just whenever funds will allow it.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:42 PM

all I can really say at this point is... there is a reason why every vehicle with rear brakes have parking brake mechanisms built in to the rear brakes.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

If you are worried about having an ebrake on the rear wheels use this kit:

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...82c6cd245102c7

Use supra calipers that are ebrake ready...viola.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, and my transfercase ebrake holds just fine at 45 degrees...
Old 10-12-2008, 03:04 PM

I'm not to worried about having a brake on both wheels. If it wasn't for a yearly inspection, I wouldn't be worried about an ebrake at all. We're a pretty flat province, I don't have many hills I have to worry about rolling down.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not to worried about having a brake on both wheels. If it wasn't for a yearly inspection, I wouldn't be worried about an ebrake at all. We're a pretty flat province, I don't have many hills I have to worry about rolling down.
That's cool, just another idea. If I would have waited another year when I did my disc conversion I would have used this kit and never would have used the transfer disc kit.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Oh, and my transfercase ebrake holds just fine at 45 degrees...
Just 'cause it holds doesn't make it legal.
Pretty flat or not, not many hills... doesn't matter, you have hills and may end up parking on one.
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
That's cool, just another idea. If I would have waited another year when I did my disc conversion I would have used this kit and never would have used the transfer disc kit.
So you're saying the kit is legal?
Old 10-12-2008, 04:32 PM

make that argument to the judge when a tire slips, and the transfer case lock performs flawlessly and doesn't let the driveshaft turn, but that one wheel spins wildly and lets the truck slide causing who knows what damage to landscaping, cars, trucks, people.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:34 PM

and you wanna know what? Frag the LAW!!!!
just don't frag safety.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:35 PM

its illegal, i have it. just cross your fingers that the inspecter dosent notice it.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:50 PM

I was in a situation once where the industrial truck I had to operate only had a driveshaft lock for a brake... not a big deal for the truck, as it was a hi-reach/man-lift off road only sort of truck, so didn't have to have legal parking brakes.
But someone parked it on a hill and one tire started slipping. That one tire happened to cause over 6000 US in damage as the truck slid about 60 meters (about 63 yards) down the road.
And this was with a truck with a driveshaft brake.
If the brake would've locked the wheels instead of the shaft, it wouldn't have slid at all.

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-12-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
So you're saying the kit is legal?
No, what I was saying the Front Range kit converts your semi floating axle to a full floater and utilizes ebrake calipers...I'd rather have that kit then I'd have less crap hanging off my drive line.

Why would you park one rear tire half ass anyways? I still chock my wheel when I need too or use the curb like your suppose to, JUST in case...