84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Need Help ordering new Suspension Kit Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Need Help ordering new Suspension Kit Today

Well I am redoing my whole truck and its time to replace my worn out old lift kit with a new one.

1st Option Skyjacker 5" Lift Kit w/replacement rear springs, dual steering stabilizer as I am running 35" tires, adj draglink, and Hydro shocks $ 1112

2nd Option Replacement 5" Springs F/R w/dual steering stabilizer, adj draglink, and Hydro shocks. $ 1085

So which do you think is better for me as my truck is mostly street with very light off road mostly sand or deep water. Also am I missing anything before I order the suspension kit.

Thanks for Looking

Last edited by rworegon; 08-19-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 AM

Bump for an answer. Also does anyone now if the WebFab Replacement springs are just bolt'on parts or do they require modification of the front axle.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
From the web site, it lists 47" front and 56-5/8" rear spring length, stock springs are 45" front, 47" rear, so some fab work will be needed to fit those springs. Up front at least a longer spring shackle and in back welding on new spring hangers and possibly shackle hangers will be needed.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 AM

if you want a nice smooth ride and crazy flex get trail gear or marlin crawler, you get everything you need underneath.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:30 AM

OH that sounds complicated so would I be better off with the Skyjacker as it is true bolt on part. Or would you recommend another stock size lift kit.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:33 AM

it really isn't that complicated, it comes with instructions, what kind of stuff are you gonna be wheelin over?Lots of rocks?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Since the springs are longer you won't have as much spring arch and in theory a better ride/Flex. It is the set up I am running on my '81. It does involve cutting and welding but the ride and trail capablities are well worth the work.

The Superlift springs will mount in the same location, shorter spring than others springs so therefore great arch to achieve the same amount of lift. IMO these leads to a rougher ride. THough superlift softride springs seem to have a decent reputation.

I would not recommend North West Off Road springs, I had a rear set, if I had used them long I would have been on a first name basis with a chiropractor.

If ease of install is what you are looking for, go with the superlift kit, if you are looking at how well it will function I would recommend the WabFab Kit.

Other considerations: You said deep water--get your differential breather kits too.
--Research High Steer: it will be much improved over the stock push pull.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-19-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be careful on install on these "bolt on" lift kits they are super stiff and create uncomfortable rides on the street.

I had a 4" procomp lift and I hated the stiff bumpy ride quality after the installation of the trail gear springs the ride quality is smoothed.

It may seem intimadating if your not comfortable cutting, grinding, and welding. In all reality if you can intall a bolt up kit and throw down a mig bead you can install one of these kits. If you lack the equipment you can rent it or borrow it. if you lack the skills to weld grab a buddy or buddies buddy. or buy a mig and practice building a welding cart
Old 03-16-2009, 08:36 AM

oh yea i can do u-turns on a residental street after i installed high steer thats worth it right there, i ran push pull or a long time so we all know turn raduis limitations. also on the trail before high steer i bent the tie rod, sheered the drag link ball and bent a j-arm its a weak steering system that needs to go
Old 03-16-2009, 08:39 AM

the 2nd option would be the best
Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Well since I am on a budget and really want to get the truck completed as my truck is mostly street with maybe once a year light off road I decided I will get the Skyjacker 7" lift kit and mount my 35 and call it a day. I know this is a lot of lift but I like the look and like to have plenty of room between tires and fenderwell. So I will probably buy the kit tomorrow with new brake lines.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:18 AM

Well just payed for my lift kit I know there is much better suspension kits out there but my budget and plus I need the truck up and running and the current one is too dangerous to drive properly so I could not wait to save some more $$ for the Merlin or the good kits so I ordered the Skyjacker 7" with all the accessories shocks,dual stabilizer, draglink and F/R brake lines. Thanks for all the good advice I wish I had the time and $$ for the best.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 AM

If you would of ordered the Trail Gear classic kit and the rear lift kit you would of been into it for $1600!!!! free shipping LOL

You paid WHAT? 1100 plus more for accesories LMAO for the skyjacker lift kit and did they tack shipping/handling costs too? my stomach hurts bad now I am LMAO I gotta know the total cost that your just charged?

Hmmmm:
With the skyjacker kit you still do not have highsteer,
you do not have u bolts flip,
you do not have 12" long extended shocks,
you had to purchase additional brake lines LOL,
you have no rebuild parts for your SFA,
you had to purchase a shock upgrade,
you had to purchase extra steering stablizer shock,
pretty sure if i remember correctly on the SJ kit you use the oem 3.5" shackles that are not greasable,
you still have no armor or trussing for your SFA

TRAIL GEAR GIVES YOU EVERYTHING IN THE CLASSIC FRONT LIFT KIT!

the only thing I canimagine you need to buy in addition to the TG kit is the IFS gear box which can be picked up at your local juck yard for 50 to 100 dollars.

You just got sky jacked enjoy
Old 03-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Well I paid $ 1249 with everything including free shipping. But you are right that would have been 1600 plus labor and new IFS gear box is like 300 new as I don't buy used. Like I said I have already spent too much on my motor build and just needed a nice new cheap suspension kit so I am happy yes its not a Trail Gear kit at all and no highsteer but its cheap and for the limited driving I do and the maybe once a year off roading at the beach sand dunes this will do. So thanks for your opinion.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:08 PM

Man the Waiting Game is tough UPS man get here already so inpatient can't wait to see my mini TONKA TOY come to life.