84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Do simple step-by-step instructions exist for NON mechanics on how to rebuild a 22R?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello toyquad..Something I just found out recently was that 85, if it is the correct Plenum on my truck is more straight where as it seems that 86 and newer have 30 degree angle facing downward. I really didnt notice it until I found a broken piece on it and got to comparing it to a newer plenum.

I am currently cleaning up the mess from an EGR now. I block or remove them on any of mine. I have a friend that does the newer Kenworth warranty repair on diesels and 50% of his work is cleaning up the mess from EGRs. In my builds, I show some messes they make. The last one I cleaned up, I got a chunk of build up that was a quarter in size and nearly 3/8th inch thick from just one piece. What a mess it was.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello magentawave...On the transmissions as far as I know, there isnt any difference on mileage. You could probably use a 91 transmission and older. The newer model transmission speedometer is operated electrically. I dont think it is possible to convert it to cable driven.

I would convert using most if not all from the boneyard. But that is going to get expensive quick. I seen harnesses go from $120-$180 and that is if you can find a good one. I had to replace a harness in one of my projects and from the 4Runner house in Texas he was wanting $180. Salvages are going to get $25 to $50 per sensor or more.

You will need an Air Flow Meter, Cold Start Injector, Cold Start Injector Time Switch, Throttle Position Switch, Water Thermos Switch, Knock Sensor, Injectors and sure I am missing some more. I actually got a package from Chefyota today just because I could find a Cold Start Injector Time Switch and some VSV vales.

When the truck hit the yards, they can be in bad shape from previous owners. The yard workers are rough on them, then customers will destroy $500 in parts for a $5 part, and most get stripped fast.

There are differences in each year, some not so visible. 85 and 86 have a sensor in the thermostat water jacket. 88 has it only year injectors and changes to the new style connector on the injector. It isnt compatible with other ECUs as I understand it wrong injector on a 88 ECU or vice versa will fry the ECU.

On the intake plenum, nothing major but one water port is pressed in and one is threaded. Each year there is some wiring color changes even when thing seem the same. Ran into that when chasing down a wire. Each newer model seems to get more vaccum lines and VSV valves. Then add the California model. There are several other changes that I cant think of right off. One like I mentioned to toyquad of the Plenum.

If you go that route, stay with one year.There are some things you could use from 94 and older, but double check that all parts are compatable with what you are using. I would suggest getting a donor truck. Even if you paid $500 for it and some would say that is high, it is nothing that would compare to getting parts from the boneyard and in some cases just finding them. You will still need the fuel tank and rear harness to operate it. Find a wreck or blown motor or something similar. Then you have a reference to it.

You will need to change harness even if same year of truck as carbed truck harnesses are not nearly even close to EFI. Another thing if I understand right is even the options in some cases. I think if you want cruise control, you would need the EFI harness that offered it. Some did, some didnt if I understand that right as well. Same with electric mirror. What ever your donor is, is about what you are going to end up with unless you are good at adding the options that you want.

The last few pages on my 88 pickup build below, isnt the most organized right now but is something I am working on a little at a time, but there is alot of information ranging from the different injectors to removing the dash just to get an idea what you could be getting into. The first few pages of my 86 Runner will show the dash all torn out as I had to swap harnesses. It isnt anything to be worried about but if I had all parts available, I would want a long weekend to do it in. This being your first swap, and not having the parts, I would consider this a long term project for your self and expect some delays and frustrations but is a doable project.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magentawave
And what is the difference in MPG between a 4 spd 22R and a 4 spd 22RE?

My guess is around 4-5mpg. I'm not sure how different it would be with a 4speed, but I have both a 5spd 22R and 22RE. The 22RE stock was getting around 21-24mpg and the 22R with some mods (weber carb, offenhauser intake w/ EGR removal, full exhaust with LCE header) is getting around 16-17mpg on 33's w/ 4:88 gears.

The 5th gear is essentially an overdrive gear for improved mpg on the highway, so I would assume those numbers would be lower for either engine that has a 4spd. Also, I'm not sure what kind of mileage a stock 22R should be getting. I'd also guess the mpg's will be much lower since the motorhome is probably substantially heavier than a 4Runner.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:23 PM

I am a kenworth mechanic, and yes, i have seem the damage done to engines by the egr system. Most of it is cause by leaking egr coolers, allowing coolant to mix with the exhuast.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 PM

I rebuilt my 22r motor over the summer of 2012. I used a Chiltons manual and it all seemed pretty straight-forward and simple to me. I had a very good mechanic mentor me and lend me the tuorque wrenches. Chilton is a very good manual and you can use it on all of the other parts of your truck as well!