84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22r intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22r intake manifold

Ok i am looked and looked i seen people ask but no one ever sayin what it goes to or what they are. Here is a picture of my 22r intake manifold off my 1985 4cyl and i took it off tryin to get rid of the valcume lines and i was seeing what the 2 things are cirlce in red. I couldnt find them in my repair book
Attached Thumbnails 22r intake manifold-manifold.jpg  
Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
According the FSM those are thermal switches. So I would guess there part of the emissions equiptment on the engine.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The one on the right is for the stock in-dash temperature gauge.

The one on the left is one of two temperature sensors/switches. That one (yours) has the green round connector. The other temperature sensor/switch, which would be mounted right next to it where that metal plug is, would be a green square shaped connector. I would assume since you are in Texas that you do not need the second square temperature sensor/switch. Me being in California, I have both. I'm at work so I can't look up what this particular sensor does or is used for, but it signals when the coolant temperature reaches a certain temperature. Both sensors signal on two different temperature readings. So it's not like they are interchangeable. If you needed the round one but all you you find was the square one, and you used the square one in it's place, it would signal an erroneous reading.

One is still available from Toyota new (or at least when I bought it new when I replaced my engine) and one is discontinued. One is called temperature switch or sensor #1, the other is called Temperature switch or sensor #2. The FSM shows has to test this sensor/switch.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by myyota
According the FSM those are thermal switches. So I would guess there part of the emissions equiptment on the engine.
i dont wanna sound dumb but what is FSM? and i think the one on the right is the temp sensor but not sure.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 AM

Factory Service Manual: FSM
Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by slow-mo
The one on the right is for the stock in-dash temperature gauge.

The one on the left is one of two temperature sensors/switches. That one (yours) has the green round connector. The other temperature sensor/switch, which would be mounted right next to it where that metal plug is, would be a green square shaped connector. I would assume since you are in Texas that you do not need the second square temperature sensor/switch. Me being in California, I have both. I'm at work so I can't look up what this particular sensor does or is used for, but it signals when the coolant temperature reaches a certain temperature. Both sensors signal on two different temperature readings. So it's not like they are interchangeable. If you needed the round one but all you you find was the square one, and you used the square one in it's place, it would signal an erroneous reading.

One is still available from Toyota new (or at least when I bought it new when I replaced my engine) and one is discontinued. One is called temperature switch or sensor #1, the other is called Temperature switch or sensor #2. The FSM shows has to test this sensor/switch.
Thank you so much on here is the other question. I just bought an offy intak manifold and i gettin rid of all the emissions stuff since the truck is an off road mud bogger will i only need to hook up the one on the right?

and yeah it has the green round plug do i have to have it hooked up?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by rednecktruck22
will i only need to hook up the one on the right?
To monitor the internal engine coolant temperature than most certainly, yes. Or you can do an aftermarket temperature gauge. I went aftermarket when I installed my new engine as I did not trust a 25-year old dash gauge.

edit to add... I should mention that the one on the right works totaly independent of the engine. The engine, or computer if you have one, does not need that sensor. That sensor only tells you, the driver, what temperature the engine coolant is at.

and yeah it has the green round plug do i have to have it hooked up?
Now that question will have to wait until I get home to see what it specifically does. I'm at work so I can not look it up. Maybe someone else here will chime in until then.

Last edited by slow-mo; 07-11-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by slow-mo
edit to add... I should mention that the one on the right works totaly independent of the engine. The engine, or computer if you have one, does not need that sensor. That sensor only tells you, the driver, what temperature the engine coolant is at.

Now that question will have to wait until I get home to see what it specifically does. I'm at work so I can not look it up. Maybe someone else here will chime in until then.
yeah no computer at all and ok cool i will hook up the one on the right, right now and wait until later if some one else chimes in befor you get off other than that i'll be waitin. thanks for the info so far
Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok, I gotta ask, whats with the pink tail gate and hitch in your avatar ???.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:15 PM

thanks for the info so far
Your welcome. Everyone here is glad to help if we can,

Originally Posted by myyota
Ok, I gotta ask, whats with the pink tail gate and hitch in your avatar ???.
dito, inquiring mind want to know.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM

well when i was gettin married the truck was red and i painted it all black then the soon to be wife said that i gotta paint something pink to match so i painted the tail gate off pink because i mixed white and red together. then it didnt look right so i found that pink and painted the tail gate and hitch to match. Sometimes you gotta do something to please the woman to keep something that you like.
The following users liked this post:
jdurango (12-23-2022)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 PM

hey Slow-Mo did you ever found out?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 AM

What I have found so far is that one sensor you have is part of the "Fuel Evaporative Emission Control" (EVAP). And it's called Temperature Switch 1.

It looks like even the 49-state (Federal) vehicles have some version of a computer control emissons system.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 AM

ok well i left it off so we will see today is race day and i got everything hooked up and ready to roll got a weber 38 and an offy intake and a hooker header
Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Did ya blow it up?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should be the temperture control for cold mixture heater that is on the bottom the the factory intake manifold. as the engine get to operating temp the sensor will open the circuit to the heater element. helps with cold start operation by helping fuel vaporize.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by rokblok
Did ya blow it up?
nope didn't blow it up :-)

and still racin it
Old 08-31-2012, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont wanna sound dumb but what is FSM? and i think the one on the right is the temp sensor but not sure.
Link to FSM:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html