Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Won't steer right??? 1983

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't steer right??? 1983

Hey there, i'm new to this 4x4 stuff. Truth be told I don't even own one...yet.

I have a few questions, and I’ve also done some searching, however I feel the need to ask and get some feedback

I'm in the midst of looking at an 83' 5spd. Short box. Its sitting on 33's and has be lifted via over axle leafs the on front, and some huge shackels on the back. (like 10in.) The rear leafs are flat hence the huge shackels. In my eyes the rear looks wrong, yes? No?

Anyways one of the problems he says it has is that it won’t steer right. Will a high steer kit fix this? Or should I be looking at the steering box? Or else where?

The truck is pretty rough but the frame looks pretty damn good. Is there any problem hidden areas the frame rusts out?

Also anything I should look out for with the 22r. Or is it like any other old Toyota engine, just keep the oil topped up and let it be?

the ad
83 short box reg cab 4x4. It’s got a 22R with a 5 spd trans. A bit of shackel lift. its on 33X13.5X15 worn Baja Claws. Also have roll bar with and a few other parts.. Doors ect. The body has some dents but decent. The box has rusted where they rust. Frame looks pretty good. It runs great but it needs a lil TLC up front. It wont turn right anymore. it can be sorted out quick

Thanks, and sorry if this should be in the noobie threads.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not sure why it wont steer right....but the shackle lift in the back....yea...thats wrong...yea it will work...but its not as safe as getting new leafs....so i would say get some rear leafs to match the front lift...if the steering is binding in the front when turned to the right...then yes get hy-steer...if it is lifted more than about 3in. then it will probably be a good idea to go ahead and get hy-steer...its SOOOO much better than the stock steering...(or so i've heard...i dont have hy-steer )...the 22R is just like any other old yota engine...probably good for at least 350,000 miles...i do believe mine has over 300,000 but not sure...cuz the odometer dont work..lol..and WELCOME to YOTATECH!!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 PM

there is nothing wrong with the 22re they will last you for ever to be honest i wish i had one over my 3.0 that box has only aused me problems there just somthing about 10 in shakles that just doesnt seem right to me seems like they would break but dont go of my word on that.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:01 PM

Will it steer left?

Edit:Sorry, I couldn't help it. The shackles are definatly wrong. Steering- no idea

Last edited by HuskyRunner; 01-30-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definetly get new rear leaf springs.

and i thing that you should take a real good look at the frame from the bed back especialy at the spring hangers.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Look at the pitman arm and draglink off the steering box. See if they are hitting the springs/u-bolts/spring plate. See if the draglink is at an extreme angle, if so that can cause steering to be off center and work better one way than the other. See if you can lift the front tires off the ground and try turning the wheels side-side and see if they move any farther. And to dig further, you could unscrew one end of the draglink and pop it off the ball stud on the steering arm and then try to turn the wheels left and right by hand and also see if the steering box cycles from lock to lock with nothing attached.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can get everywhere you want if you take enough left turns!

better ditch those shackles and get some springs

welcome to yotatech!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im on the Island too, The truck has a factory spring over axle set up so I dont know about that, the rear suspension sounds very wrong, at max id say a 6" shackle would be acceptable, even then... if your going to buy it id put it back down to stock height for awhile. Steering problem would be a result of the lift, high steer would correct the problem but its not just a bolt on and go kit, you need access to a cutting torch, welder, grinder, and basic tools... as well as the knowledge to use them, as well as an IFS style steering box, about $400-$450 said and done, and a days worth of work or so and a bit of reading up on doing it. Stock height can clear 33's no problem and looks awesome so dont worry about a lift for now IMO.

Your best bet is to check out the frame, get underneath and poke it it with a screw driver, check around the front shackles, rear spring hangers.. well everywhere, if its rotting id forget that one, I think I saw the forsale add somewhere.

If you do buy it I have all sorts of first gen stuff, stock steering, good leaf springs, stock shackles and a pile of other parts.

Last edited by Island_Yota; 01-30-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the quick replies!

I was planning on disconnecting the steering to see if the problem lies in the axle half or in the engine bay half. Pitman arm, I know what that is, but what is the drag link? Sorry new to all of this. My guess is the long arm going from one end to the other?

As for ride height I was planning on lowering it a bit. I was under the impression that it had under axle leafs stock. So I guess there are some different springs in the front because there are no shackles.

Would it work if I took the front leafs and put them on the rear and get new ones for the front? Because it doesn't look like I can lower it in the front.

As for fab work that is fine. I have all but a cutting torch. What do I need to cut? Could I use a cut off wheel?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Steering box >- pitman arm -> drag link -> steering arm -> tie rod:
Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 AM

So I went and looked at the truck again. Unfortunately we didn’t get there until it was dark, but the flash was nice!

I took some pictures to help you help me. Now the draglink, is that suppose to be bent? Or is that just jerry-rigged? Also do you need that arm from the front axle housing to the frame?

And it must be lifted in the front for sure, unless I’m wrong.

I talked with him more about the steering problem. He claims he stopped steering right when he took out the front sway bar. To me that doesn't seem like that should cause it not to steer.

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails Won't steer right??? 1983-img_0940.jpg   Won't steer right??? 1983-img_0954.jpg   Won't steer right??? 1983-img_0938.jpg  
Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like a dropped drag link (after market). Sway bar should not affect steering, but the missing torque rod (from the axle bracket to the frame up front) can, at least under braking. If nothing outside looks to be binding, then it is something internal.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Looking the picture of the truck it looks to me like the truck might have been lacking some maintance in it past. Worn components (tie rods, TR ends, bad wheel bearings, out of balance tires etc) can contribute to poor steering)

When I first bought my '81 the steering wasn't exactly what I considered great. I was able to tighten up some free play on the steering box. Also replaced the steering joint/rod from the column to the steering box. The helped quite a bit.

The biggest improvement IMO was when I finished up the High Steer yesterday. New tie rods, Tie rod ends and a low mileage 94 steering box make a huge difference...

Brain dead on my part...the won't steer to the right could possible be a broken birfield maybe causing it to bind...

Originally Posted by Opeth
So I guess there are some different springs in the front because there are no shackles.
You do have shackles on the front, they are the spring pivot point at the rear of the front springs..

Last edited by dropzone; 02-04-2008 at 08:57 AM.