Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Ok one more try: please help id carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:15 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Ok one more try: please help id carb

Everyone seems to say that this is the stock 83 carb. BUT, the circled tube only shows up on the CALIFORNIA vacuum diagram and is a part of the spark control system or something? I just bought a used carb off another '83 this weekend and it's the same as this one, and definitely not a cali model carb, so what's the deal with the FSM? Does anyone have a vacuum diagram which shows this front hose on a non-cali carb? Otherwise I haven't been able to figure out how to hook up the vacuum lines. Unless someone can tell me whether I can just plug this hose off? I'd really like to rebuild the thing but can't find the carb # and it's steadily getting worse..Any help is appreciated!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Does the carb not have the little metal tag with the 5-digit number on it?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 AM

Apparently not. I don't see a tag on either the carb currently attached to my truck or the other one. I even just now brought the other carb into Napa and they couldn't find a number anywhere..
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
As far as I know, thats the only way to positively ID the carb. If that has been removed, it may be tough.

If its for "spark control" wouldn't that go to the Dizzy?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 AM

Yeah but first it hooks up to a bvsv which only cali model trucks have. So on mine it actually goes to a port...don't have my FSM right now but it's connected to where my thermo valve should connect, and my thermo valve isn't hooked up to anything. So it really seems like this carb is not the correct one for my truck and somebody rigged it to work, but I don't know if they rigged it correctly, you know? If I was smart I would have seen how it was connected on the donor truck of the carb I just pulled this weekend, but I'm not...I also noticed the donor truck (83 non-cali model) had a different vacuum set up. Had a protrusion on the side of the air filter housing and vacuum switches on top of the passenger wheel well which looked different from my truck. Maybe the difference between an '83 manufactured in Dec of '82 (mine) and the later 83 models? I don't know. Getting very annoying though. I'm starting to consider seeing what a remaned' carb would cost if I sent in 2 cores.

Last edited by 83; 02-23-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 AM

Looking like I'm taking the easy way out & just buying a rebuilt. Talked to the guys on the phone and after sending two cores in to them it won't really be much more expensive than rebuilding it myself, and a lot better quality. I do need to learn more about how they work and this would be a great way, but...
Old 02-23-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll take a look at my carbs when i get home thursday i have 2 different numbers. If u want one u can rebuild i'll send u one of mine and a rebuild kit then u can learn and do me a favor too lol.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Zach,
I don't remember if you said you have an 83 FSM. I have one now and was flipping through and noticed the diagram on 3-44 shows a setup with that line running into a BVSV on the manifold. My setup does not have that BVSV and the hole on my manifold is blocked. If you don't have it let me know and I'll try to scan the page for you.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:45 AM

Thanks Jason, I'll look at my manual on my lunch break. The only diagram I can find with that tube is the cali diagram, and yes, it runs into a bvsv, which I don't have either because it's only found on cali model trucks from what I can see. I'll let you know, maybe your newer FSM has something mine doesn't.

Originally Posted by AP4CHE
I'll take a look at my carbs when i get home thursday i have 2 different numbers. If u want one u can rebuild i'll send u one of mine and a rebuild kit then u can learn and do me a favor too lol.

You mean have me rebuild a carb for you? Are you serious? You trust a rookie with your carb? : ) If you're serious I may take you up on it. I noticed that the carb I picked up this weekend had the choke taken off and manual choke hooked up, so I need to ask the rebuild place if they'll still give me a good price for it as a core. If not, I'll keep it and take it apart. If they'll still make it worth my while to ship it, then I won't have one to play around with and I'd be into messing around with somebody elses!

Last edited by 83; 02-24-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Did you try blocking that off and connecting the line to the thermo switch? I remember when we were talking about it before. The thing that throws me is that I can't see where that curly-q goes from your pics or the diagram. I'm thinking that your carb is just off of a cali model. I would look at what components you have minus the carb and then follow the FSM based on what's under the hood and plug everything else off. I wish we were in the same neck of the woods and we'd just sit in the dang g'rage and drink beer till we figured that sucker out. It's just tough to ponder from 2000 miles away.

Last edited by Flek23; 02-24-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Yeah these internet forums are awesome but nothing beats having somebody in the garage with you. I appreciate it, too bad we can't do it.

I have not plugged it off. It's pretty much the only thing I can't figure out. It goes back to the pass side of the carb, then goes into the carb, then I think connects to another hose which just loops right back into the carb, from what I remember from the diagram. Either way....it's getting sent to the place I just bought my rebuilt carb from for a core refund.

Funny thing is that I just pulled a carb off another 83 that the guy swears is an original Montana truck, and it's the same carb. Same tube sticking out the front. Sure wish I had traced all the vaccum lines on that truck but I had bigger things to worry about at the time. That's the problem with a 25 year old truck though, you just never know what somebody's done to it.

I think that would be the best plan, though, like you said. Just connect everything the FSM shows for my model truck, and block the rest off.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

I'll be in the same situation soon (Hopefully). That's the approach I plan to take anyway. Of course I still haven't got that reed valve and mine's toast. A guy from Colo Spgs sent me something he claims to be similar. If he'd said it wouldn't be exact replacement I'd have saved $35. I guess that's part of the learning curve. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.