Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

83 pu slight problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 pu slight problem

I was wondering where you would mount an aftermarket cd player in a 1983 pickup? If anybody has done this please let me know how.

Kyle DeChenne
Old 07-10-2007, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kkkd
I was wondering where you would mount an aftermarket cd player in a 1983 pickup? If anybody has done this please let me know how.

Kyle DeChenne

Its a pain in the ass, Theres lots of ways to do it but what im doing is basically taking the dash panel out that houses the original radio and getting creative. What im doing is cutting from just left of the cig. lighter to the right edge of the ash tray hole and of course cutting the metal out behind that too, so happy I bought a dremel and sawsall recently! Only downside is im gonna have to relocate/replace my cig lighter because I need it to charge my gps + cell phone, but I dont see the ash tray being a big loss. Then to fill the space where the old radio was im buying a compact Cobra CB radio which basically fits into the rectangle hole where the stock radio was, and since theres two holes on either side from the old tuning/volume knobs on the stock radio im going to put switches in them, one for the CD player and one for the CB and scrub off the words "Volume" and whatever the other one says with my dremel and put labels there that say "CB" and on the other side "Stereo" or something like that, should look fine once im done.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the great suggestion i guess if that is what it comes down too that will have to be done
Old 07-10-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an 82 and the person that had it before me put a pioneer tape player in it. Boy did he cut that thing to hell, once i got it out i looked like I had ripped it out with a cro bar. All the supports for the dash on the inside were bent to hell and I cant fix them so I'm just gonna have to live with it.

I would suggest making a whole new face flate like Island Yota said, and cutting holes in the supports behind it to fit the radio through properly. Once I get my new radio in I'll post pics. (Its in the mail right now)

Good Luck.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:56 PM

im in the process of putting mine in the glove box so its hidden. not hard to do, just some custom fab work to mount it.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:57 AM

I had an 83 back in the day and we ended up installing the deck in the glove compartment too. My husband bought an 83 about a year ago and the previous owner had one installed next to the cig lighter. Not sure how well it's in there, but it works Good luck to ya !
Old 07-13-2007, 06:47 PM

any suggestion...

Hi TOYO comrads see if you can help me out with this I got a 1980 Toyota Pickup I have my pickup for 4 years now and since I got the pickup the Tach has been dead any sugestions on how to fix it people have tell me that the problem could be int the coil any help would be great thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2588828
Old 07-20-2007, 02:45 PM

Heres what im doing:

Green is where the CD player goes, going to require alot of metal removal. Red is where the CB im buying goes(Midland 1001UZ) Fits in the Square perfectly, CB is $80 Canadian at "The Source" stores, But you can get them on ebay for $10 not including shipping. The purple circles are where the tuning knob and volume knob on the factory stereo stuck out, im gonna put a switch in each hole, one for the CB and one for either the CD player or something else, il just scrub off "Tuning" and "Vol/SW/Tone" with my dremel and put labels for whatever the switches will do. Im probably gonna relocate the Cig. lighter to the empty hole next to where it is now but it will require more cutting/drilling of the metal behind the panel.

Oh and I sure hope I dont break the panel when im cutting it because they are hard to come by in good shape.