Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

82 Dual Case Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
82 Dual Case Conversion

I know that this is something that has been done millions of times before, but i have yet to find a writeup that can answer all the questions. I just picked up a dual case with a TG adapter and i was wondering what the next steps are. I also got a the crossmember from him as well.

As far as i can tell all i need now is a twin stick (will marlin parts work with TG parts?)
a block off plate for the front case.
2 t-case mounts + hardware
cut holes in the cab for shifter
install the setup
shorten the driveline

is that about all that is left to do to get this thing in my truck?

Also, what is a fair price for a used w56 in decent condition?
Attached Thumbnails 82 Dual Case Conversion-wp_20140528_001.jpg   82 Dual Case Conversion-wp_20140528_002.jpg  
Old 06-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
And lengthen the front drive shaft.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 AM

Sounds like i am about there then! I have been looking in to this and searching for the right parts for awhile,
Old 06-05-2014, 04:37 AM

Are you going to be the one who posts a write up with all the questions answered? That would be swell.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:44 PM

I would be interested in doing a solid write up, but i am not sure i have the right knowledge at this point. Hopefully as this project comes together i'll be able to figure it all out.

Now i am confused on if i have the right setup or not. Do i need 2 top shift T-cases, or one of each? I have looked at pictures and still can't tell what mine are. I think they are one top and one fwd. Also which hole am i blocking; closest to the trans or rear DL?

Also, what is this about a "pin" i have to pull out to get the twin stick conversation to work?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 PM

Just want to make sure i have the right setup before i go and order the rest of the parts.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:43 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm not sure on some of the dual case stuff but I think you're confused about what the twin stick does. It is not nessasary for dual case operation, though a nice add on. You can put them in standard single t-case setups and allows you the option of 2wd low. The pin you talked about I believe you mean the detent ball you have to remove. There should be detailed instructions that come with your twin stick and if not I believe marlin has a pdf on his site that will explain. If you go twin stick and dual case you will end up with 3 shifters for the t-cases. I don't quite know what you are talking about with the block off plate but you will need one in your "new" case for shifting between high and low range in that case.

Did I muddy the waters enough? I would recomend reading the install instructions on marlin for all the parts you're thinking about and understanding what they do and how they operate to figure out what you really want and need.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also there is a company that makes a triple shifter so you don't have to cut a hole in your floor and you can keep your "cup holder" if you have one. I think it costs around $250- $300. Not much more than a twin stick.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM

Is this what you were talking about when you mentioned the triple stick? I really like this design. http://www.davezoffroadperformance.c...e-shifter.html

If i did a twin stick, would the twin stick be the one furthest from the engine?

I am unable to upload pictures at the moment for some reason.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
either daves or rad designs makes them, but yes, that is what I am talking about.

The twin stick would be on the rear case as your front case is only for gearing selection and has no relevance to your 2wd or 4wd selection.

Do some reading on marlin crawlers website. Most every product he has has a downloadable write up on how to install it. I suggest reading thsoe install instructions and snoop around on their forum and most of your questions will be answered.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 PM

Alright, i am making progress on the build and swap. Found a guy with the mounts i need and the tools to help. He is asking $2-300 to do the driveline conversions, and i wondered if that is an accurate price.

Also, i seem to recall other first gen users swapping the drivelines for a better one when doing the dual case conversion with the lift. Is the strength of the stock 30 year old driveline something i should be worried about? its a 22r with lockers, gears, and soon to be dual cases.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i had a guy add a CV to my rear drive shaft since my truck is a SWB. it helped out with the angle of the rear d/s
Old 07-10-2014, 11:21 AM

Thanks Dropzone. Are there any disadvantages to cutting the stock driveline again, and are there any advantages to using a driveshaft off a 2nd or 3rd generation? Is there a shaft that will fit in that does not need to be modified?
Old 08-02-2014, 01:29 PM

Looks like this project is on hold for a while longer. It was either this or the Doug Thorley headers, exhaust goes on Monday, then i start filling the jar for the dual case install again.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:22 PM

Project is back on

Merry Christmas to me! Looks like this project is back ON! looking to get it in a shop within a month of now.

Anybody in the NW OR (Corvallis) area have the tools and knowledge to make this a simple swap?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Looks like the forward most T-case is set up for forward shift. My W56 uses the topshift t-case. Not a big deal. I Tapped the roll pin at the shifter fork out at the detent spring channel. Used needle noses to catch it then slid it forward and cut it off. Slid back in place and re-install roll pin. So do some more research. Marlin's site has loads of information. So does pirate faq's. As YT faq's might have it too. 4crawler has lots of cool info too. Been years since I did install and I have a hard time keeping good photo's for write ups.

I also had highangle drivelines do my drive shafts. Call them and discuss your options. A long slip in front my give you a spare if you blow the rear to get home with if you have a CV joint in rear also. I had thicker walled material used for mine. You may have to clearance the horse collar to fit a CV shaft though. I did but mine is an 86 4rnr.

If your a short wheelbase you may need to go with a CV in the rear but you will have to rotate your pinion angle to do so. 4crawler had some good links and information on his site. Wasn't hard to do I did it in the drive way with jackstands, an angle finder, grinder, and welder. If you go this route use gussets to re-inforce the aftermarket spring perches. Seen pics of aftermarket perches that calapsed. The factory re-enforced the stock ones.

The twin cases will create much more torque on motor mounts and tranny mounts. So research your options. I went with drilling out motor mounts and using a high grade 1/2 bolt Gives more vibrations but keeps engine from ripping loose. Research that as well as there's several different solutions from chains to aftermarket mounts. I'm running two v6 tranny mounts and removed rubber in rear mount put a block of aluminum in the middle. But several different options for that too.

Check the drive flanges on rear tcase as they could be different pattern than your drive shafts. A triple flange is a useful solution.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:07 PM

Thanks for all the info, that should keep me busy for awhile. Here are some better pictures of what the cases look like on the inside. I bought these like this and want to make sure everything is in order before i take it to a shop to have it installed.

Name:  IMG_1011.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  78.8 KBName:  IMG_1037.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  72.2 KBName:  IMG_1038.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  66.7 KBName:  IMG_1039.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  81.8 KB

Let me know what else has to be done. Some say it is all ready to go, others say it needs the shift rod adjusted.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Fossilized
Staff

i am pretty sure that forward rod needs to come out of the crawl box(forward case)
it has been awhile since i had my dual cases out but i don't remember it being there
Name:  P2090019.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  100.2 KB
this is a pic from a few years ago when my transmission got trashed, no shift rail extending out.Name:  friedinputshaft2.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  97.9 KB

and it is not shown in T-G dual case instructions.
https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/prodInfo/pdf/dualcase.pdf
not sure if you can just cut it off or drive out that pin.
it has been a long time, so i would check the instructions above
Old 01-12-2015, 10:02 AM

DropZone, i think you are right. I feel like i have read a million different articles on how to do this right, yet everytime i think i am close, there appears to be another issue. Guess thats what i get for now shelling out $2,000 for a prebuilt setup.

I think i need to convert the forward case to a top shift. That should be a simple swap, for the most part.

Anybody want to weigh in on this? Its being mated to a w56 trans, and i would like it to have triple sticks if possible.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by 1st Gen Crawler
DropZone, i think you are right. I feel like i have read a million different articles on how to do this right, yet everytime i think i am close, there appears to be another issue. Guess thats what i get for now shelling out $2,000 for a prebuilt setup.

I think i need to convert the forward case to a top shift. That should be a simple swap, for the most part.

Anybody want to weigh in on this? Its being mated to a w56 trans, and i would like it to have triple sticks if possible.
Dude- please don't tell me you paid $2k for that dirty set? does it at least have 4.7's? Did it come with a truck?
you could have ordered a pro built set from Marlin or T-G for less than that and gotten a warranty
https://www.marlincrawler.com/transf...p-4runner-kits
https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Trail-...x#.VLXl09LF9Qg

didn't even think about Foward shift, yet they need to be top shift

triple stick- go with Rory's design.
http://www.radesignsproducts.com/Triple_Sticks.html
i have one in the box ready to go in next time i pull my cases (probably next month)

Quick Reply: 82 Dual Case Conversion