Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

22R Maintenance Time leaking intake gasket and more

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22R Maintenance Time leaking intake gasket and more

I recently over heated a bit going up this big hill (didn't go into the red) pulled over but it wasn't cooling down. I stopped the truck a hurt a hiss. This was hot coolant bubbling out of my intake manifold.
22R Maintenance Time leaking intake gasket and more-lnqu2h.jpg

the truck needs a water pump (it's getting loose) and I'm guessing the timing chain needs to be replaced so I'll probably be starting this once I source parts.
22R Maintenance Time leaking intake gasket and more-sditth.jpg
pulling the wiring off was easy! I might be wanting a rebuild carb too.
any suggestions for getting parts? I don't want cheap gaskets.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:07 PM

Oh I thought I'd note I'm a 82 last of the twin row chains
Old 10-16-2011, 05:52 PM

OEM gaskets if you can find them. Felpro makes some "decent" gaskets. I'd contact an engine builder and see if they sell gasket sets.
I go to the local parts houses for hard parts. Most give some type of limited part warranty.

OES outfits sell tons of parts online. The only drag is you can't see the part and judge the quality till it's delivered.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:51 PM
UPS

Read your post, great pics. I gave a few observations. Looks like the original hose clamps and old radiator hose, the radiator cap looks original too. My '80 has @ 100,000 mi and I have replaced the radiator, pump, thermostat, belts & hoses and of course coolant. As long as you have the radiator out for the pump, take it to a radiator shop to have it cleaned and/or fixed. Do the belts & hoses if you haven't in a few years. It feels great to know that your truck is ready for whatever comes, after all it's a Toyota and that's what they're made to do, everything!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 PM

I tore into the truck more today. The carb and intake manifold are off. I've been trying to track down a rebuilt cali smog carb with no luck so I'll probably rebuild it. Yeah the hoses are old and the hose clams have rust. I found somewhere onlike with the silacone hose set for $55 i think it was and saw one for about $10 more on ebay that had heater hoses too. I have a lot more work to do on this truck, I pop'd the valve cover to adjust my vales but might pull the whole head now to make sure it didn't warp any.

what are your thoughts on this http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-82-Toyota...item2568033f05
the truck's @ 170k miles and doesn't look like anything has been replaced.
here's the whole set of pictures http://imgur.com/a/zqBhB
more to come.

Last edited by AdrianGT; 10-24-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM

my advice is don't touch the carb! these carbs are awesome as long as they are not touched. once you crack it open they have nothing but problems. I can not say why but I have rebuilt 1000's of carbs and for some reason AISAN carbs are never right. quadrajet,thermojet,holly, u name it, no problem but those damn AISIA carbs. But I have to say I have only had to replace 4or5 of these on toyotas and I got a junkyard carb everytime. aftermarket's replacements are garbage. Do yourself a favor and leave it alone. Only problem with these carb's is the leaky aap valve. I see these trucks come into my shop all the time and they are running high C.O., this normally means rich. 99% of the time its because the air injection is not working right and 1% the aap valve is leaking. weird thing is 50% of the people rebuild or replace their carb when they fail for high C.O. and come back and it's the same thing, high C.O.

As far as parts go http://engnbldr.com/
This place has the nice metal back guides and double roller chains and gaskets that actually seal. Not junk like Felpro
Old 10-24-2011, 07:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by smogman
my advice is don't touch the carb! these carbs are awesome as long as they are not touched. once you crack it open they have nothing but problems. I can not say why but I have rebuilt 1000's of carbs and for some reason AISAN carbs are never right. quadrajet,thermojet,holly, u name it, no problem but those damn AISIA carbs. But I have to say I have only had to replace 4or5 of these on toyotas and I got a junkyard carb everytime. aftermarket's replacements are garbage. Do yourself a favor and leave it alone. Only problem with these carb's is the leaky aap valve. I see these trucks come into my shop all the time and they are running high C.O., this normally means rich. 99% of the time its because the air injection is not working right and 1% the aap valve is leaking. weird thing is 50% of the people rebuild or replace their carb when they fail for high C.O. and come back and it's the same thing, high C.O.

As far as parts go http://engnbldr.com/
This place has the nice metal back guides and double roller chains and gaskets that actually seal. Not junk like Felpro
X2...well on everything except the gasket part. Go to the dealership and get OEM gaskets and seals. They don't leak.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM

pulled the aap off and found it to be full of gas. replacing that at a minimum. also need to replace the jet i broke a deal on taking it off. going to be a long week.