Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

new welder

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new welder

So I got a welder from harbor freight. I know their not the best but it's my first welder and I bought the extra warrantee that’s supposed to cover anything. It’s a 220 volt 110 amp. Now I’m trying to figure out how to install a 220 volt outlet since I don't want to run it from the Laundry room every time i want to weld. I keep hearing that i should have a professional electrician do it but I’ve done other outlets and electrical work and I definitely can't afford to have an electrician install it. So Is there any one on here who could tell me how to do it. I'd definitely appreciate it.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you have to ask how to do this .It is better that you seek real time help in person.

Just so you don`t hurt yourself or some one else.

In this age I am sure if you search for basic 230Volt wiring you should find all the information you need.

If I was close enough to help in person I would be glad to maybe someone close can be found to help.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 AM

Open your fuse box and find out if it's GE or what other brand it is, go to Lowe's, or Home Depot, their electrician should be able to help you out, you get a 2 pole 220v breaker that can carry the 110amp load.
If you want it up to code etc there's more into it, but if you can install the breaker and run some 220v wiring from the box to a female connector, and then just plug your welder into that you should be set up. Just make sure power is cut befor you pull the cover off your fuse box and do any other work, I would cut the main breaker, the one at your meeter reader area.

Anyways, I was about to do the same thing for my 220v AC, but then I realized the floor board heater under the window I was going to put it in was wired up to a 220v breaker, it wasn't a professional job either. I cut the wire, put a female connector on it, and a male connector on the heater, now I can swap back and forth as easy as pie.

But google.com and the people at Home Depot/Lowe's will help you alot too. It's not rocket science.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:04 AM

I am renting so I cant instal a perminant 220v outlet in the garage so the above is all I did. Never did any wiring before. Went to lowes had the electrician hook me up with what I needed. followed his advise to the letter. Got a 2 pole 220v 50amp breaker, 10/2 flat wire, turned off power at the meter, black and white wire on the 10/2 to the breaker, bare wire to the ground, turn the breaker into the bus bar, secure, bend the wire so that it is not getting crimped in the pannel cover, put a little extra insulation in that area. run the other end to a female 16-50(i think) plug, secured to a wooden shelf next to the sub box, turn on power, turn on breaker, test with multi meter. plug in welder test.

Making a 25 foot flexable extention cord for your 220v welder is not cheap, so prepare for that one also. I think I have about $50 in mine.

That welder is a good one. I know lots of guys that have it, and do really well with it.

Dont buy any 75/25 bottles bigger than 160cu/ft, most welding supplies wont exchange them for consumers anymore, that is why you are seeing so many of the larger ones on craigslist right now.

Have fun.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Careful, 50A is too big of a breaker for 10ga wire, especially for a long run. You can get away with it for a welder due to the duty cycle, but won't try to run any big shop equipment on it.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 PM

Well the book calls for a 30amp breaker, dude at lowes told me to use the 50amp. would the 10ga wire be ok for the 30amp, or should I go with a heavier ga wire all together. Breaker is cheaper than wire these days. I have felt the wire, breaker, outlet after some heavy welding, and it is not hot at all. But let me know what I need to get, I dont want a fire hazard around here.

What ga wire should I be using for my 220v 30amp air compressor?

Last edited by TinMan; 03-04-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 PM

I've done regular 125 outlets and light switches before i just wanted to make sure there wasn't something different that i was missing.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tmcorbin
Well the book calls for a 30amp breaker, dude at lowes told me to use the 50amp. would the 10ga wire be ok for the 30amp, or should I go with a heavier ga wire all together. Breaker is cheaper than wire these days. I have felt the wire, breaker, outlet after some heavy welding, and it is not hot at all. But let me know what I need to get, I dont want a fire hazard around here.

What ga wire should I be using for my 220v 30amp air compressor?
Off the top of my head:
14ga wire -> 15a breaker
12ga -> 20a
10ga -> 30a
8ga -> 50a

Not sure why the guy at Lowes told you to run a 50a breaker, even when the welder states that it'll run off 30a. You CAN get away with "de-rating" the wire, (IE: running a smaller wire than what is considered code) in certain circumstances, and welders ARE one of those circumstances, but it needs to be a dedicated welder circuit (like mark it Welder only or something).

If you want to be safe, run a 30a breaker on the 10ga wire. If you're unsure, go ask some questions on some DIY electrical forums. Out of curiosity, what type of plug are you running on it? From the sounds of it, I'm guessing a NEMA 6-30?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 PM

Thanks man, welder is the only thing running on that circuit. I think I am using the nema 6-50, That is why it is wierd that the book says to use a 30amp. I will just pick up a 30amp breaker this week and replace it. Sounds like I need to rerun the air comp circuit with the extra 10/2 that I have. Thanks for the help.