86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ignition Switch or Starter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ignition Switch or Starter Issue

About half the time that I get into my truck and turn the key to start, I just get a clicking noise from the passenger side dashboard. Sometimes if I turn it extra hard too the start position it will go. Other times, it starts normal. Just curious if anyone has insight on if this is an ignition switch or starter issue. Leaning towards a starter issue since even when it doesn't go, I can here a click (maybe a relay) in the passenger side dashboard.

Truck is a 1990, 3.0, with 262k miles.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:51 PM

Received 825 Likes on 652 Posts
What you are hearing is most like the Circuit Opening Relay. Since that is downstream from the starter relay, the ignition switch is probably closing the starting relay. Since the starter doesn't turn with the starter relay closed, I would suspect the starter.

You can test it directly; pull the low-current wire from the starter, hook a jumper wire to the tab, and connect to 12v (making sure it is out of gear, parking brake on, etc.). If the starter doesn't turn then, you probably have (somewhat common) bad solenoid contacts. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
Old 02-09-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
What you are hearing is most like the Circuit Opening Relay. Since that is downstream from the starter relay, the ignition switch is probably closing the starting relay. Since the starter doesn't turn with the starter relay closed, I would suspect the starter.

You can test it directly; pull the low-current wire from the starter, hook a jumper wire to the tab, and connect to 12v (making sure it is out of gear, parking brake on, etc.). If the starter doesn't turn then, you probably have (somewhat common) bad solenoid contacts. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
Awesome! Thanks for the help.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:42 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Or flawed wiring of starter relay.

Originally Posted by 90YotaPU
...I just get a clicking noise from the passenger side dashboard. ...
Yes, you're hearing the C.O.R., Like Scope103 says^^

BUT, is your starter relay also clicking and your starter Thunking? If yes to both but does not crank, yes- most likely the Solenoid contacts.

However...
Truck is a 1990, 3.0, with 262k miles.
Seems like your truck is afflicted with Toyota's flawed wiring as documented here:
Name:  NeutralSafetySwitch_V6_89-92_4Runner_89-90Pickup_zps1605a07a.png
Views: 17174
Size:  63.4 KB

IF you have an automatic, the appox 12 amps needed to energize starter solenoid runs from battery, to cabin, to ignition switch (ideally not for carrying high current), back to engine compartment, down to transmission to neutral safety switch, back to engine compartment to the starter solenoid.

IF you have a manual, same high current runs from battery, to cabin, to ignition switch, back to starter relay in engine compartment, then eventually to starter solenoid.

Both above cases lead to too much power lost on the wiring and the contacts.

IF you're not into messing with wiring to check, just try jumping your starter solenoid with this while trying to crank. If it consistently makes your solenoid thunk and crank, then my theory is proven, and you gotta fix Toyota's messed up wiring - or add a hotshot relay.
I have a fix for it on my post but specific to starter relay on 22RE's. Different from 3.0's

If jumper consistently makes solenoid thunk but still does not crank, yes - bad solenoid contacts.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Yes, you're hearing the C.O.R., Like Scope103 says^^

BUT, is your starter relay also clicking and your starter Thunking? If yes to both but does not crank, yes- most likely the Solenoid contacts.

However...

Seems like your truck is afflicted with Toyota's flawed wiring as documented here:

IF you have an automatic, the appox 12 amps needed to energize starter solenoid runs from battery, to cabin, to ignition switch (ideally not for carrying high current), back to engine compartment, down to transmission to neutral safety switch, back to engine compartment to the starter solenoid.

IF you have a manual, same high current runs from battery, to cabin, to ignition switch, back to starter relay in engine compartment, then eventually to starter solenoid.

Both above cases lead to too much power lost on the wiring and the contacts.

IF you're not into messing with wiring to check, just try jumping your starter solenoid with this while trying to crank. If it consistently makes your solenoid thunk and crank, then my theory is proven, and you gotta fix Toyota's messed up wiring - or add a hotshot relay.
I have a fix for it on my post but specific to starter relay on 22RE's. Different from 3.0's

If jumper consistently makes solenoid thunk but still does not crank, yes - bad solenoid contacts.
Wow, very interesting, thanks! The starter relay doesn't seem to be engaging, unless it's really quiet and I ma not hearing it. That's what seemed odd about this. Your theory may very well be correct. Once it gets a little warmer and I can get under the truck, I will see what's going on for sure.

Appreciate the help.
The following users liked this post:
tacvwdriver (11-14-2021)