Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Wireless router - limited or no connectivity

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wireless router - limited or no connectivity

Hey, all!

I bought a Llinksys Wireless-G (WRT54G) router a couple weeks ago. All was working fine until last night. I could not connect to the internet. I connected the cable modem to my laptop, that's not the problem. I reset the router and went through setup again. Now I can connect, but I have "limited or no connectivity" and can't connect to the internet wirelessly. WinXP shows the router on available networks. And it asks for the WEP Key when I double-click on it. And it connects. But after it connects, I get "limited or no connectivity."

Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:08 AM

I have the same equipment: You are not getting DHCP to get the IP address to connect to the Internet. Did you go into the configuration of the router through the web browser set up utility? If so, you may have changed something that affects the number of DHCP addresses given out. Also, do you live in apartments, or areas where there may be a high number of 802.11 signals being broadcast? Be sure you are connecting to your router. Set up a unique SSID (name) for your network. When the wireless quits working- hook up your laptop to a port on the back of the router, and see if you can use it that way. If the wireless quits, but you can still connect through a Cat5 plugged into a port on it, I am almost certain it is a configuration issue with the NIC or the Router.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Alan, what he said. If you want, I can come by and look at it since I have alot of free time these days!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

When troubleshooting it is often easier to turn wep & wpa off, one less thing which can bugger things up. That's just been my experience. Once you can connect without encryption, then turn it back on and see if your passwords (keys) are a problem.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:02 AM

do you have any software firewall type stuff?
Old 02-16-2006, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like your router or wireless card is still configured with some kind of WEP or WPA key. How did you reset the router? There's a "soft" and a "hard" reset. The soft reset just reboots the router, while still retaining the settings you configured. The hard reset wipes those settings out and restores it to how it was when you first bought it (assuming you bought it new).

So, assuming you don't mind losing your settings once more:
  • Do a hard reset and make sure WEP/WPA is turned off on your wireless card. If that doesn't work...
  • Update the firmware on your router. If that doesn't work...
  • Reinstall the drivers on your wireless card (or just reinstall the wireless card altogether). That shouldn't have anything to do with it, but it would certainly eliminate a problem with the card.

Normally, I'd say update the firmware first, but it sounds like you may have botched up settings on the router. So I suggested resetting it first to eliminate that possibility.

Click here to get your firmware
Old 02-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

I recommend doing a hard reset. My linksys router does this from time to time but its around 3 years old. I just cycle the power and its fine.

If the hard reset works then update the firmware. Use an ethernet cable when doing so, although I've done it wirelessly I believe Linksys recommends being connected to the router...
Old 02-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Alan, did you have time to work on this last night?