Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Upgrading to Office 2003

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Upgrading to Office 2003

I have been running Office XP for the past few years, and it is pretty good.
Before that I ran Office 2000, and Office 99 or 98, or was it 97

At Boeing they are upgrading all of the PCs to Win XP and Office 2003.
I like the mail interface better for Outlook, as you can have a transparent window appear behind your running apps that shows part of the new email message you just received.

My copy from Boeing just came in the mail, as they allow Boeing employees to purchase the full blown suite for a very good price

For my mail backup, do I just backup the pst file that is in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Corey\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Two files in there, extend.dat, and outlook.pst

There is another folder too, not sure if I need to restore it to the new Office when I install it or not:
C:\Documents and Settings\Corey\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
There are five files in there, outcmd.dat, outlook.fav, outlook.nk2, outlook.srs, and views.dat.

After installing the new Office and setting up my email settings, do I just drag and drop all of this back in again, or do I use an import command from the new Outlook to bring this data in?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
there should be "import and export" under the file menu. try that first.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Did the export thing, it made one big 78 MB pst file.
Same file probably as the other pst file in the first folder listed above.

Think I will upgrade tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would use the import/export feature too. Drag and drop is fine if you're just restoring a backup in the same program. Going from an older to a newer is a whole 'nother ballgame. Drag and drop will still work in this scenario, but some features in Outlook 2003 will be limited due to the .pst file being from XP.

One major feature is the file size Outlook will allow. I can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but Outlook 2003 will allow a larger .pst file than XP. It's either 2 gigs with XP and 4 with 2003 or 4 gigs with XP and 8 with 2003. It has nothing to do with the format of the disk... just a caveat of older software. I found out the hard way, because I used to be a drag and drop guy myself. That is, until I met a professor who had Office XP and never deleted his email. I had to reload his machine due to a severe spyware/virus infestation, and installed Office 2003 instead. I restored all his files and settings and returned the computer to him. A week later, he called back complaining of not being able to receive his mail. After investigating the problem for a day and a half, I found out it was from using an Office XP .pst file in Office 2003. :pat:

So... now you can see why I recommend the import/export function when going from older software to newer.

Oh yeah... and please don't use the upgrade option if you can avoid it at all. I still get nightmares from some of the things I've had to deal with.

Last edited by Churnd; 12-30-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Chris, on that upgade thing, this is from a readme file on the CD...

Previous Versions of Office Applications Removed
The Boeing Office 2003 Home Use CD will remove previous versions of the Office applications it installs (Access, Excel, FrontPage, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word). The Boeing Office 2003 Home Use CD does not remove or update PhotoDraw 2000. If a fatal error occurs during the installation of Office 2003, the setup program will attempt to restore the last installed version of Office to the condition it was in before you inserted the Office 2003 CD. In some circumstances this process may take a long time but the restoration process is very important, so avoid disrupting the program while Office 2003 installs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Install Office 2003
In most cases, Office 2003 Setup will begin automatically when you insert the Boeing Home Use CD into your computer. If Setup doesn't start automatically, run SETUPPROSP1.EXE by following these steps:

Click Start and select Run from the menu.
Enter d:\SETUPPROSP1.EXE in the Run dialog and click OK (use the drive letter for your CD ROM in place of d).
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation of Office 2003.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Install FrontPage 2003
A separate installation is required for FrontPage 2003. To install FrontPage 2003, run SETUPFPGSP1.EXE by following these steps:

If Office 2003 Setup starts automatically, cancel the installation.
Click Start and select Run from the menu.
Enter d:\SETUPFPGSP1.EXE in the Run dialog and click OK (use the drive letter for your CD ROM in place of d).
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation of Office 2003.
So you are saying I should first uninstall the old Office all the way, reboot then do an install from scratch, then import my saved pst file?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey

So you are saying I should first uninstall the old Office all the way, reboot then do an install from scratch, then import my saved pst file?
yes that is the best way to do it.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Corey

Yep, that's the way to go.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

You will not believe this, but maybe you will
I uninstalled Office XP, rebooted, and installed the new Office 2003.

After it installed I then went back and installed Front Page 2003.
Rebooted, went to Windows Update page, installed a few things, then clicked on the Office 2003 Update link.
It found a Service Pack 2 for it, plus two other needed files.

Installed, rebooted, then I got out my setttings for my account I have a snapshot of.
Fired up Outlook and all of my old email was there, and it also asked me if I wanted to import Outlook Express over, but that is another Comcast account I have set up for junkmail and other stuff, so I said no.

The cool thing is all of my mail was there like before, and I did not have to import anything.
Perhaps it looked to this folder?
C:\Documents and Settings\Corey\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Two files in there, extend.dat, and outlook.pst

I did not delete the old pst file, and I even exported a backup pst file to the Desktop in case I was going to use it.

The Outlook mail in this version is way better than previous ones, hence the reason I ordered this from Boeing to put on for home.
First saw this version when I got recalled back, and it rocks.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:56 PM

:pat: Dern me. I forgot that uninstalling Office XP doesn't get rid of the .pst files. I guess doing so many reformat/reinstalls will do that to ya. Well, you're still using the XP .pst file, so you're still stuck with the same caveats as using the drag/drop scenario. If you want, you could uninstall, wipe out the .pst files, then reinstall. Then import your backup file that you created from the old XP Outlook.

There is another way to do it to where you won't have to reinstall, but it's more complicated. If you want, PM me and I can walk you through it via AIM.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Is there a bad reason to leave it this way?
I have an hour into the install and patch downloads allready.

It is all working fine, but I can take it all off again tomorrow, but is there really a need too?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 12-30-2005, 06:05 PM

You should be ok. The size issue is all I'd be concerned about, so if you never let your inbox get too large like me, you'll be fine. If you ever do notice it being quirky, we can just backup what you have, then create a new Outlook 2003 .pst file, and import into that. No prob.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

The biggest my .pst file has ever been is 120 MB, and that was with 1,500 to 2,000 deleted and sent messages combined in the delete folder.

I hardly ever let the two combined ever get over 1,000 messages, and less than 100 MB.

Currently with it compressed it is 25 MB.
It was around 75 MB earlier this evening before I had Outlook XP compress it.