Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Stereo Installation. Head unit & Speakers. (02 4Runner 3rd Gen)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Installation. Head unit & Speakers. (02 4Runner 3rd Gen)

I'm going to upgrade my 2002 4Runner with some new sound gear. All 6 speakers (back door, Front door and tweeters) and a new head unit. Most likely Polk speakers and a Sony or Alpine stereo.

Are there any good posts on installing the speakers? Same goes for the head unit. Is it as easy as taking the old parts out and just pugging in the new?

Bestbuy (geek squad) wants $280 bucks for the installation.

My plan is to order online from Crutchfield.

Thanks for the help. Can't wait to have an iPod hook up!!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Its all plug and play, unless you get components with crossovers.

Does the $280 include the parts? And is that for install of all the speakers? If thats just the cost to install the deck, tell em to pound sand. Its SUPER easy.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:14 AM

Install

$280 was for installation and parts for all 6 speakers and the head unit.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
seem steep to me, speakers are very easy, like DC said, its all plug n play. Unless you start adding amps, subwoofers and bridges.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by frohbego
I'm going to upgrade my 2002 4Runner with some new sound gear. All 6 speakers (back door, Front door and tweeters) and a new head unit. Most likely Polk speakers and a Sony or Alpine stereo.

Are there any good posts on installing the speakers? Same goes for the head unit. Is it as easy as taking the old parts out and just pugging in the new?

stay away from sony head units, just my personal opinion but i have had a lot of them returned after installation due to defective product. i run alpine in 2 of my 3 vehicles and am very happy with them. as for the $280 for install that is pretty much going to be your standard install cost at any best buy.

not sure if all stores are doing it but there is a promo going on right now that if you buy a head unit and same brand speakers totaling over $199 you save $100 which will cover a decent chunk of your install price. if you do decide to do it yourself and get it from crutchfield, they should include all your install gear for free. make sure you get the speaker harnesses as they make life easier, no cutting and guesing which wire is which.

if crutchfield is going to send you the speaker adaptors for the rear, ask them to send you some chrysler speaker adaptors rather than the yota ones, the reason for that is the yota adaptors only fit a 5.25 in the rear doors, the chrysler adpators will fit a 6.5. there will be some gaps around the speakers with the chrysler adaptors but you can throw some dynamat or any sound deadener around them to seal that gap.

the install overall is pretty easy, it jsut requires removing the door panels and some of the center console. feel free to pm me if you need help with your install, i own a 3rd gen runner and am an installer by trade.

good luck

jason
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by frohbego
I'm going to upgrade my 2002 4Runner with some new sound gear. All 6 speakers (back door, Front after market parts door and tweeters) and a new head unit. Most likely Polk speakers and a Sony or Alpine stereo.

Price does seem a bit steep to me. Post some pictures up once its all hooked up and finished!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM

I ended up installing myself the Alpine CDE-103BT CD receiver w/ built in Bluetooth. It comes with a microphone for my iphone. Any writes ups on where to mouth and hide the wire for the mic?

I came across this -
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...placement.html
(See "epa4wd" post)

Looks like he has it mounted in the control switch insert on the dash... can you buy a dash insert for this?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:24 AM

i know im a little late to the party but when ive done installs with bt stereos, on tacomas and 4runners, ive mounted the mic either in the pocket under the head unit, in the corner closest to the driver. or i routed the wire up the a-pillar to the sun visor and had it clipped on the visor. either one i noticed picked up the user talking easily.

as for speakers, if you havent bought them yet, look into Rainbow or DLS, two different sounds from the speakers but im sure youre gonna love one or the other. another good company for both subs and components is image dynamics. you guys might not be audiophiles, and neither am i, but trust me when i say that a good set of components up front, some rear fill coaxials off of the deck and a 4ch amp powering your components and a small sub stage to fill out that bottom end will make a world of difference when listening to your stereo.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:32 PM

This was very helpful for me, as I am looking to plug in a new head unit... don't know which one yet.