Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Help! Aftermarket speakers not working.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Aftermarket speakers not working.

Howdy, I'm new here but I will be on here often. I picked up a 2000 4Runner SR5 a couple weeks back, and I replaced the stock radio with an aftermarket deck so I can run my iPod. Last week I had the front passenger speaker blow on me, so I replaced the fronts with a pair of Alpine speakers. It looks to be that the stock radio has external amplifiers for the speakers (the aftermarket radio adapter harness has the pre-out plugs). After installing both speakers I tested them and they worked perfect; I listened to music while I reinstalled the door panels and then called it a night. The next morning I hopped in the truck to leave for school and as soon as I got out of my driveway both speakers cut out, but the stock rears worked fine. When I got home I checked all the wire connections again and could not find the problem, a friend suggested the stock amp may have been damaged because of the aftermarket speakers.

Tonight I hard wired the front speakers to the aftermarket radio amplifier. After hooking up the driver side it worked perfect, put the door panel on and everything, checked one more time, still good. I moved over to the passenger side and hooked that speaker up, turned the ignition on, and now both speakers don't work on the front again! The rears work fine, the deck works fine. I wired the front speakers with new speaker wire too, there is no tying into the stock wiring.

Any ideas? Could my Alpine speakers be damaged? Are there any numbers I can be looking for with a voltmeter at the speakers? I would really like to get this fixed asap, delivering pizzas is horrible with only rear speakers.

Sorry for the long read.

Thanks
Spencer
Old 11-29-2009, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's something in the door shorting them out. Some piece of metal or something, that's the only reason they would cut out like that. It's so the short doesn't start a fire. So basically, check what metal it could be contacting when you put it all back together.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an aluminum window runner directly behind the speaker, but there is about a 1/4in. of clearance. Other than that, it doesn't come close to any metal. Its even mounted on a plastic panel in the door.

When I turn the ignition over I hear a "click, click" from the front speakers as the deck starts up, then nothing.

Spencer