The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Traction bars and Articulation.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction bars and Articulation.

My lifted 86 came with the old style rancho traction bars seen in this thread...

Originally Posted by yota yota yota
heres random pics of it...

and my concern is articulation with these.

The above truck is NOT mine but mine has the same traction bars.
My truck has a nice set of lift shackles on it but I know they arent being used to the best of their ability with the limiting movement these bars give it.

However, I do have 5.29s 35x13.5s and lift blocks in the back...and I am concerned with axle wrap. Hoping to get rid of the blocks and go with 3" lift springs soon, but dont know when that will happen. In the mean time, I have pretty significant fabrication ability and am looking into ways to make these traction bars work a little better.

Have thought about just slight modification to the tri-mount/shackle setup like these style

but also thought about a slip yoke style modification. Fabricating in a slip yoke making the bars act similar to drive shafts for the extension/compression of the rear axle that moves it...

Anyone else have some ideas to toss around?
GO!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you make the traction bars able to extend and compress then you eliminate the function of them.

They should be helping with axle wrap at the moment.

If your worried about it limiting the flex just flex it to the max and check to see if the bars are making contact with the frame etc. if they are not then they shouldnt be limiting you.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 PM

it is possible that they are limiting you a little bit because of the bushings only being able to twist so much. Swap out the links for some bars with Heims in them so you dont have to worry about it.

oh cant see your pic. dunno if its just me.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:15 AM

Not only worried about the twisting/flexing motion. I know that can be solved easily with good heims.

Im worried about the forward back motion that the rear axle has, especially with modified shackles and shackle angles.

Mentioned in another traction bar thread.

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
The 2-link bar, like BudBuilt uses is a good setup. The bar off the axle locates it, controlling axle twist.spring wrap, the front link swings back and forth to account for the motion of the spring shackle on the rear of the spring:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/mini_rearsusp2/

If you look at the semi-elliptic springs, they are an arc when relaxed then flatten out whan compressed, so the axle is moving back and forth a little as it moves up and down. Thus the need for the front link. Other options are a slip yoke on the front of the traction bar to let the length change as needed.

Trying to decide if I should just build a "budbuilt" style setup or use all the current existing mounts and bars just with some modification.

Not entirely sure how a "slip yoke" style modification to these would eliminate the function of them, please explain.

I have a relatively useful sense of how suspension works, however most of my modifications in suspension are based on street/performance vehicle and not offroad vehicles.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:00 PM

Well if the bar was aloud to telescope freely it wouldn't be preventing the axle wrap by keeping the axle moving in a straight up and down motion. It would then allow the axle to twist, (axlewrap)

Trac bars are a little tougher to figure out with leaf springs than coilovers I think.. That budbuilt one looks nice though
Old 02-01-2014, 01:02 PM

If you have the skills do a 3 link and coilovers
Old 02-01-2014, 03:46 PM

I have the skills, not the money. The money goes into the supra until it is finished. Not to mention the truck is my daily driver/weekend wheeler so I have to keep it drivable 5-6days a week until the weather clears up and the supra is drivable...then the real work can start on the truck .
Old 02-01-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Thats a setup built for use on the street. For a practical off road traction bar it needs to move with the axle, much the budbuilt one, or this kit from Ruff Stuff

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/AWKIT.html
Old 02-01-2014, 11:29 PM

yup, saw that kit from ruffstuff earlier...will more than likely be purchased with my tax return!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Nice! Throw some pics up when you get it installed.