The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Odd SAS question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd SAS question

Ok, so an SAS is def in the future for my runner, but the price to have everything done is really not a possibility. The shop i want to have it done at wants 3k just to do the front lift, and thats without finding an axle.

So i got to thinking, can I get them to weld on everything that needs to be welded, with all the ifs in place, and then do all the wrenching myself? Im good enough to rebuild the axle, and install the lift, but i just dont have the welding ability to accomplish that task. If they could weld everything on that would really lower the amount it would cost to have everything done. If needed i could even remove the front diff and driveshaft for them to do it.

So is this possible?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:59 PM

They wouldn't be able to weld on the shock hoops with the IFS on but they could do that after you cut everything off...

I don't see why they couldn't weld most of it on with the IFS still on, front spring hanger, front rear shackle mounts...In the end, it would be up to the shop.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup.. you can get it welded on and go home chop all the ifs and re install good parts..then drive back for your shock hoops to get welded
Old 02-17-2009, 05:03 PM

I would not do a SAS swap for anyone without everything to finish it. The shop really needs to have everything to get it right (lined up and functional). $3k is a little expensive just for the cut and fab work though, unless they were going to paint it up real pretty after it's all done and polish it! A normal shop should be able to do it within a week (with just one guy working on it). Were you going to get a kit or just a front axle and springs? How much are you looking at in just parts to get it done?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Yodaforce
I would not do a SAS swap for anyone without everything to finish it. The shop really needs to have everything to get it right (lined up and functional). $3k is a little expensive just for the cut and fab work though, unless they were going to paint it up real pretty after it's all done and polish it! A normal shop should be able to do it within a week (with just one guy working on it). Were you going to get a kit or just a front axle and springs? How much are you looking at in just parts to get it done?
they said 3k for my choice of a 4, 5, or 6 inch lift up front. they would be doing everything required for a full SAS, but i would have to locate and source an axle, and the rear matching lift would be more i assume. I know 3k is a lot, but they are a darn good shop(OKAuto4wd is the shop). I know most people wouldnt want to do part of the job, but there is no way im spending 3k for an SAS. id rather spend the money to learn to weld if i have to spend that much.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:13 PM

I would buy a hobart 140 mig or lincoln and prectice for a while. Then do it your self... My 2cents
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by T$
I would buy a hobart 140 mig or lincoln and prectice for a while. Then do it your self... My 2cents
i work 50 hour weeks right now, and honestly dont really feel like doing the welding bit. i dont feel like just practicing is enough, i would feel terrible driving it down the road and having a weld of mine give out because i thought i was good enough, and then have someone get hurt because of it. in that case i would rather spend the money.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I know folks who have had the spring and shackle hangers welded on, then removed the IFS parts and installed the springs, front axle and steering components. Then you just need to get the shock mounts attached afterwards.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I know folks who have had the spring and shackle hangers welded on, then removed the IFS parts and installed the springs, front axle and steering components. Then you just need to get the shock mounts attached afterwards.
...and bumpstops. if i didnt have the tools that is precisely how i would do it.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:33 PM

You can get the hangar welded on and the shackle tubes welded in place before hand. Then you can go home cut everything off and mount the axle/steering.

Then you could drive to the shop and have the motor mount plates/shocks welded on after.

Its easer to do it all at once IMO.

Ive heard the going rate was about 1300 for labor plus the cost of the parts.

You take much more pride if you do it yourself though.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:33 PM

yeah i think you would be better off finding someone on this forum or around you that could help you do the work. i found a guy to do the front swap and the rear chevy leaf spring swap for 1000.00. i have a 93 runner so that included cleaning up the rear axle and cutting off all the b.s.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:39 AM

$1000!!! I would say find someone who has done it a few times. Offer plenty of cold beers and maybe a mustache ride or too. jk offer someone like $300 and tell them basically you just need some supervision and a few welds.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 AM

Shoot, if ya lived close enough im sure somebody would just stop by to help out.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 AM

thats the downside, welding at my house is really not an option, still doin the i live at home thing, and well my pops is not a big fan of tools, parts, welders etc all over the place. even if for only a day. i would however be willing to bring the truck somewhere and have the axle ready to go, get everything welded up and the axle installed, atleast enough to get it home. i would also be willing to exhange cash, brew and food for someones time.

i know its a long shot, but its either that or the local shop. altho i did see that someone a few towns over has a 90 pickup that has a SFA, and i checked it out, whoever did it did an amazing job. great install, por15 everything, really clean.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 AM

does the truck your talking about, owned by Beaniam?

Well you do need a bit of tools, so i can see your delima there.
The whole time i was doing mine i was told that i was going to catch the house on fire with the welder. , and no i didn't..

It is surprisingly not a hard task. If you have a torch/plasma cutter it would take a TON less time then i took with a sawzall and cuttoff wheel.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
does the truck your talking about, owned by Beaniam?

Well you do need a bit of tools, so i can see your delima there.
The whole time i was doing mine i was told that i was going to catch the house on fire with the welder. , and no i didn't..

It is surprisingly not a hard task. If you have a torch/plasma cutter it would take a TON less time then i took with a sawzall and cuttoff wheel.
oh trust me i have all the tools, i have an abundance of tools, just no welder or plasma cutter, and i dont know how to use either well enough to do it. i can do everything but the welding lol.

edit-as for beaniam, i have no idea if it is his truck. is his truck white? and does he work at a shell station in flemington, nj?

Last edited by 91TPU; 02-18-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 AM

nope, no clue. i think is truck is black. No idea about the location of NJ though, im on the other side of the country. I do believe he lives in NJ but i could be wrong.

Okay well as far as not having a welder or plasma cutter, you could take the front hanger and the shackle/jigs and tubs and have all that welded on a head of time.

I ended up cutting all my ifs off with a sawzall and a cuttoff wheel. IT took a while but i got it done, now you could go ahead and have the front hangar welded on and the shackle tubes ready to go and get your axle mounted in a day.

A shop charges quite a bit IMO, but im the type of person who would rather learn how to do something myself than have a shop do it, plus im cheap and don't want to pay for the labor.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:51 AM

i would love to learn, i just dont have the time to learn to weld right now as im also learning another trade for work and putting in 50 hour weeks. ill have to see if they would be willing to weld everything up, and then i install everything and then i bring it back so they can install the shock hoops.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:33 PM

your house sounds like when i lived with my dad.
his famous sayings among my friends are:

"you cant polish a turd" and

"Im not running a friggin car wash here! pick this crap up"
(this one was said in response to a bucket with soap in it on the side of the house...WTF)
Old 02-18-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by deltaclothingco
your house sounds like when i lived with my dad.
his famous sayings among my friends are:

"you cant polish a turd" and

"Im not running a friggin car wash here! pick this crap up"
(this one was said in response to a bucket with soap in it on the side of the house...WTF)
yea i hear ya...he is a good guy tho, and i understand why he is the way he is. He has spent the past 3 years pretty much rebuilding this house to how my mom wants it, and it looks awesome, and the last thing he needs is an engine in the garage, and a non driving 4runner in the driveway or on the street lol.