The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Front bumpstop fab advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front bumpstop fab advice

How would you fab bumpstop mounts for these bumpstops? They are huge (which is way I bought them, they are super soft and will kinda act like a poor man's air bump). I was thinking of mounted them behind the U-bolt plate and u-bolts and have they contact the leaf springs directly. Off Road Solutions used to run this setup all the time and never had any issues.

I really want to make them adjustable so I can dial them in just in case I start pulling springs to lower it or change to a different leaf spring in the front.

Honestly, I was thinking of running them exactly the same way as the current setup. But sometimes another set of eyes and somebody with more experience has a better way of doing it.

Here's the pics

The location I was thinking. Will have to sit down an inch though.

Different angle

My current setup. Looks ugly. Works great. Never had any issues with them minus the looks.

Overall shot of the space available to mount them

Trying to hold them in place alittle closer to the guessed height they need to be.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:55 AM

2 questions.
#1: why dont you turn them 90* and have them above the u- bolt plate where there is NO chance of bending springs?
#2: why do you want them mounted so low when it appears (from the pics) that your springs will still compress more before before going negative? and i do understand that the bumpstop will compress some but at least you wont be riding on the stops with each ripple on the road.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by E-ROC
2 questions.
#1: why dont you turn them 90* and have them above the u- bolt plate where there is NO chance of bending springs?
#2: why do you want them mounted so low when it appears (from the pics) that your springs will still compress more before before going negative? and i do understand that the bumpstop will compress some but at least you wont be riding on the stops with each ripple on the road.
#1 - I don't think mounted them behind the U-bolt plate will bend the springs. It might put alittle more stress on the U bolts but that's about it.

#2 - In the first picture, you can see where I have the current bumpstops set. They only ride 2-2.5" above the U bolt plate. They are set to stop the leaf spring when they are flat. Since they new bumpstops are bigger and will compress more than the ones on there now (hard as hell, they suck for bumpstops) they will need to be lower. It will ride on the stops but that's OK. I'm already banging off of the current stops on mild bumps in the road.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 AM

I'm looking to mount them to the U-bolt plates pointed up and then make a strike pad that's adjustable coming from the current 2"x2" welded to the frame.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:30 PM

Where did you get the new bump stops from?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by tlrskunk
Where did you get the new bump stops from?
http://www.marlincrawler.com/suspens...bumpstop-large

I'm not sure they have any left but it might be worth a shot for their sale price.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 PM

My bumpstops have a single stud to mount them, not the flanges on each side. It looks like yours might be a little harder to install. You have seen them before but here's a couple pictures if that helps at all. Shouldn't you be packing for Moab!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 AM

Dirt Co where did you get yours with the single stud mount?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by tlrskunk
Dirt Co where did you get yours with the single stud mount?
4 Wheel Parts

They were part of some kit, I believe the customer upgraded to Fox bumpstops and these were extra. I couldn't tell you the brand though.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:57 AM

Here's how I ended up fab'ing up the front bumpstops just in case somebody uses the search and needs ideas.

Driver's side newly resigned bumpstop bracket. Everything is from 1/4" plate because the 22RE is a powerhouse :finga:

Passenger side bumpstop.

Only 1.25" of air gap between the bump & the pad. The bump also has 3 5/8" air gaps. I rounded down to 1.5" when I setup the bumpstop. They compress great while on the trail. My tires barely rub the battery box, front bumper, and firewall (tubbed back to the body mount) at full compression.

Closeup of the bracket just in case anybody else wants to copy the design.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:53 AM

and sweet Thanks. Now I know how I exactly want to do my bump stops when i get back from this deployment. Thanks for the quality pics