Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solid axle rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solid axle rebuild kit?

where is the cheapest place i can find a solid axle rebuild kit for an 84-84 solid axle? I dont know where to look, all my parts houses here in athens have just wheel seals. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Start here:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm

or here:
http://www.trail-gear.com/knuckle.html

Scroll down... you'll find all the parts you are looking for. Local Toyota dealer also stocks these, but you may find prices vary.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
AllPro and Marlin carry them. Not sure on the prices, but they are all probably close.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm
http://allprooffroad.com/index.php?o...ask=view&id=72
Old 12-28-2006, 04:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check with " Wakillywabbit". He is a trail gear dealer and offers a 5% discount to members here.

Link in my sig...
Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Or below

And I'm over in Alabamee...

Old 12-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

if you go the TG route, here's some food for thought.....i destroyed all 4 wheel bearings in a matter of a couple months. I replaced them all with Timkin bearings and they've been fine.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Wabbit's prices are great. IIRC, I paid about $25 more than that some years ago from a Landcruiser place (same kit parts). If you need wheel bearings, get the full axle set with wheel bearings.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by jsnby
if you go the TG route, here's some food for thought.....i destroyed all 4 wheel bearings in a matter of a couple months. I replaced them all with Timkin bearings and they've been fine.
One instance among how many of those kits/bearings that TG has sold...hundreds...thousands? Give me a freaking break. Your post serves no informative purpose as the same could be said about any vendor's products as they all have isolated incidents of failure or sending out a bad set of this or that. Your post is nothing but an attempt to black eye TG products and is uncalled for.

I run the TG knuckle service kit w/ wheel bearings in my rig (and a bunch of their other products) and they've been excellent...or I wouldn't sell them...been running them for over a year now w/ 40s...so I think they hold up. Perhaps you got a bad set or they were installed/preloaded improperly, as most bearings that do fail do so from improper installation and preload...but let's please keep from bashing vendors and products with a vague instance that could have been caused by many other factors than "bad" bearings.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 12-28-2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Remember to count the shims and keep them labelled (IE....rt side upper, lft side lower etc) Makes assembly easier to get close to the correct position.

Trail gear site and marlin site have links to the O/H procedure

Buy from the Wabbit
Old 12-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
One instance among how many of those kits/bearings that TG has sold...hundreds...thousands? Give me a freaking break. Your post serves no informative purpose as the same could be said about any vendor's products as they all have isolated incidents of failure or sending out a bad set of this or that. Your post is nothing but an attempt to black eye TG products and is uncalled for.

I run the TG knuckle service kit w/ wheel bearings in my rig (and a bunch of their other products) and they've been excellent...or I wouldn't sell them...been running them for over a year now w/ 40s...so I think they hold up. Perhaps you got a bad set or they were installed/preloaded improperly, as most bearings that do fail do so from improper installation and preload...but let's please keep from bashing vendors and products with a vague instance that could have been caused by many other factors than "bad" bearings.

Wabbit...i wasn't trying to knock it....it was a great kit for the price....i'm just relating my experience. TG is great....i've had no complaints. Their service is great, they answer the phones every time I call, things get shipped promptly....just trying to relate my apparently isolated experience.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jsnby
Wabbit...i wasn't trying to knock it....it was a great kit for the price....i'm just relating my experience. TG is great....i've had no complaints. Their service is great, they answer the phones every time I call, things get shipped promptly....just trying to relate my apparently isolated experience.
Sorry if I got my fur frazzled, but since you failed to mention "it was a great kit for the price" and "TG is great" in the original post, it sounded like you were knocking them. You will not find better parts, prices or service than from TG and their dealers...like me.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Sorry if I got my fur frazzled, but since you failed to mention "it was a great kit for the price" and "TG is great" in the original post, it sounded like you were knocking them. You will not find better parts, prices or service than from TG and their dealers...like me.

x2