Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mild SAS questions...possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right on, well, that should take care of moving the box or shortening the pitman arm..
Old 11-16-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 6lug
right on, well, that should take care of moving the box or shortening the pitman arm..
not sure that anyone makes arms for toy axles that mount the tie rod behind the knuckles but once again, it can be done. I believe there are still people making these for 44s and 60s. Leef spring clearance might be a PITA

Last edited by 44Runner; 11-16-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:06 PM

oh, I meant the tie rod in front of the drag....im not gonna try and fool with the other thing....I figured you could just move the tie in front of the drag since the same ends are used throughout the setup...so the holes in the arms would be the same. We'll see...I just need to get all this stuff together first.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:48 PM

oh, I meant the tie rod in front of the drag....im not gonna try and fool with the other thing....I figured you could just move the tie in front of the drag since the same ends are used throughout the setup...so the holes in the arms would be the same. We'll see...I just need to get all this stuff together first.
yes you could, but your wheels wouldn't move the same distance when you turned the wheel (related to one another). Not that they do to begin with (ackerman angle) but you get the idea. If the tie rod is place a certain distance away from the knuckle on one side and a different distance on the other, your steering is gonna get "wacky"...

Last edited by 44Runner; 11-16-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:27 AM

oh yeah....the drivers side arm has the hole setup so that the tierod is behind the drag...oops. Ok, well, we'll see what happens...thanks for the help.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:01 AM

oh yeah....the drivers side arm has the hole setup so that the tierod is behind the drag...oops. Ok, well, we'll see what happens...thanks for the help.
on most arms the drivers side is equally long though even though there isn't a hole. You could always drill a new hole out the same distance as the far hole on the pass. side and then reem in for the TRE...
Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 PM

tru tru....hey, let me ask you real quick about your buggy....i see youre using an A340H...How is it that you have a 5.1:1 low gear ratio in that....I know the transfer case is attached to the tranny and can hardly be taken apart. So how is it you did that...cuz I would like some lower gears in mine....
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Look fly....Im kinda tired of your BS. I cant just pull money from my ass, so Im tryin to ask as many people for their advice as I can. I know you think youre holier than now, but it aint happenin for you. You make your stupid comments in most of your posts, and its old. Just because Im not some master fabber or top notch mechanic doesnt mean I cant ask for a little help....and for people to stay on the damn topic. This is the first big project Im going to do on my rig, so I wanted as much insight from the truly good fabbers on this site as I can, which isnt to say that Im not researching it other places also. Ive been studying over this thing all over the web for 3 or 4 weeks straight now. I just wanna do it right. So stay off my ass, and if you dont have anything else to add to the help on this project, stay off the thread. Id appreciate it, not that you'd care much.

I'm not saying you have to like his attitude, but it would be foolish not to listen to his advice...he knows what he is talking about, he works in a shop and has done two SAS that i know of, maybe more...he knows what works and what doesn't...he's seen what happens when you do a SAS too cheaply, it breaks....you asked for a low lift SAS, he provided you with it...4" over stock is hardly anything, i have nearly 4.5 inches with my IFS, and i barely clear 33's...plus, it will be simple and strong...
Old 11-17-2005, 03:45 PM

Hey 6lug, i build my 85 runner for basically the same purpose your talking about expedition type runs. Im running 3 inch downey springs, 1 inch aor shackles and 33 1250 tires on 10 inch rims. The only thing i havent done yet is crossover steering. Ive converted to lc vented rotors with v6 ifs calipers and mastercylinder. Lockrights f/r. My rig has impressed me with this setup. I went up slickrock in tellico this past weekend with no problems. When we packed up camp, i drove 75-80 all the way home on the interstate. I would post pics but im only allowed like 46k and all my pics are around 100k
Old 11-18-2005, 05:30 AM

tru tru....hey, let me ask you real quick about your buggy....i see youre using an A340H...How is it that you have a 5.1:1 low gear ratio in that....I know the transfer case is attached to the tranny and can hardly be taken apart. So how is it you did that...cuz I would like some lower gears in mine....
Gotta stay on top of the cool new products. It has been a few months now since this came out.

http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/pr...products_id=86

Allows you to add the right transfer case to an A340H tranny AND lets you clock it 10 degrees if you want.

My original plan for the buggy involved replacing the tranny from the donor truck with a W56 but right when I started looking for new trannies this came out so I thought I would give it a shot. This will be my first automatic ever. I hope I like it...
Old 11-18-2005, 06:45 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 44Runner
Gotta stay on top of the cool new products. It has been a few months now since this came out.

Allows you to add the right transfer case to an A340H tranny AND lets you clock it 10 degrees if you want.

My original plan for the buggy involved replacing the tranny from the donor truck with a W56 but right when I started looking for new trannies this came out so I thought I would give it a shot. This will be my first automatic ever. I hope I like it...
44Runner----you won't look back
Old 11-18-2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 44Runner

Amazing....man, thanks a lot. I cant believe someone finally did something with the A340H. Thanks man.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ZUK
44Runner----you won't look back
I hope you're right bro.

I must say my favorite part is the ability to clock the t-case 10 degrees. Should be a nice setup. I am going over to the dark side.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:00 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
6lug-- rockota is right about one thing.... .... http://aqualu.com sells them and seems to be the only one for the standard mini-pick-up cross-over. The part number is 4034 and there are 3 variations to the design....the mini-truck has the large bolt pattern AND large tie-rod hole. They have them for $259 USD / $305 Canadian. For anybody that can do only bolt-on, there ya go. ZUK
Old 11-18-2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by ZUK
6lug-- rockota is right about one thing.... ....
Meanie...

For anybody that can do only bolt-on, there ya go. ZUK
Double Meanie...

Welding steering parts, no matter what you say, is bad juju for a street rig... Too many "it was done right" parts have broken and people dead or injured.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:14 PM

Hey rockota I have a question. How did people come up with these new and trick steering setups if they didn't try new things? I mean how else is the industry supposed to progress if people only stick with what is made now and don't try to push the envelope, or come up with something that will work better?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 99_Runner
Hey rockota I have a question. How did people come up with these new and trick steering setups if they didn't try new things? I mean how else is the industry supposed to progress if people only stick with what is made now and don't try to push the envelope, or come up with something that will work better?
There is a HUGE difference between doing R&D for an accredited shop and a weekend wrench building cobbling together steering components with his new Miller 220. HUGE difference. And products in R&D typically don't get thrown on the street where you and I could be killed if someone's amatuer welds or poor design don't hold up. Are you a Metallurgist (sp?)? If not, then how do you know the product is still as strong as you think it is? Why do you think that no one sells fabb'd arms anymore? The risk is too great. Lives are not worth it. There are better options.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:07 PM

ok fellers......'nother question. I was wanting to get the 3" springs with the allpro kit, but Terry Baker said this...

"be aware the 3" has a lighter rating and will sag faster if under a full bodied truck - they are designed for lightweight buggys and stripped down trucks and require
bumpstops to be correctly installed so they dont go past flat."

so I was wondering....I know I could use the springs for a while and not have to worry about the springs sagging out for a little bit. after a while though, when they sag, if they get too low, is it possible, or safe to add a leaf to the front?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Sure, a possibility. I run stock rear springs up front and just kept adding leaves and reconfiguring the spring pack to get the exact ride height I wanted. Nice things working with 20+ year old springs, they are already broken in:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspe...II.shtml#Front

Otherwise, get your truck weighed, front and rear axles, and call up Alcan with your specs. They'll build you exactly what you want.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:44 PM

yeah, i thought about alcan's, but I wanted to keep the springs from allpro so that the kit would be cheaper.

and thats some complicated stuff in your link there buddy

Last edited by 6lug; 11-18-2005 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Mild SAS questions...possible?