Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mild SAS questions...possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phorunninduke
Bunch of arm chair engineers here.

Lets face it, short of zuk having that thing x-rayed there is no arguement that it would be any worse than anything else you can buy.
Granted exsperiance has everything to do with it...

Personally there are about a million other do it yourself things that scare me more than Zuk's Y arm. Guys that set up their own gears? Home made bumbers and recovery points that are bird crapped on? I mean I don't see that much of a hazard suggesting to to this over welding the the spring hangers on for the sas. ( I do but for the sake of doing it bad either one would be dangerous )

Scary Steering -- Look only if you DARE
I kinda agree. I don't see anything super dangerous about setting up gears when you don't know what you are doing. Granted they won't last long, but I don't see it as dangerous. I have seen a lot of scary SASs and they piss me off more than anything, because those are the guys that are gonna get the powers that be to crack down on the rest of us who know what we are doing...
Old 11-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 44Runner
I don't see anything super dangerous about setting up gears when you don't know what you are doing.
I am sure you could imagine what would happen if the rear end locked up on the highway? There is a recent thread where some one had the bolts back out of the ring. I have been searching for a while about the 4runner that burned to the ground because a third was set up wrong.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:30 PM

I am sure you could imagine what would happen if the rear end locked up on the highway? There is a recent thread where some one had the bolts back out of the ring. I have been searching for a while about the 4runner that burned to the ground because a third was set up wrong.

Ok, if you are a whole new level of jackass, setting up gear is not for you....
Old 11-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 44Runner
Ok, if you are a whole new level of jackass, setting up gear is not for you....

Being a jackass, is setting up gears unaware of the potential hazards if done incorectly.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:36 PM

While I love all this "people scare me when they...." talk, I would appreciate sticking to the topic of this thread. Im not trying to flame anyone or be pissy or make anyone mad at me....thats not what I wanna start. I would just really appreciate if everyone would kept this on track as much as possible. Any more thoughts or ideas from anyone would be awesome. Thanks a ton guys.....Alex
Old 11-13-2005, 04:42 PM

And people can forget to put the filter in when they change the oil so recommending that on line is foolish.

C'mon, this has gone pretty far afield.

If you want low and simple, which it sounds like would be good, get a Front Range hanger, get some 3" Alcans and be done. That should provide no steering hassles, be straight forward and accomplish what you need.

If someone is capable of chasing down the needed parts and pieces to do something this "different" I do not think they would be asking, they would instead be doing. In that vein, I advise the above course of action.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:41 PM

Look fly....Im kinda tired of your BS. I cant just pull money from my ass, so Im tryin to ask as many people for their advice as I can. I know you think youre holier than now, but it aint happenin for you. You make your stupid comments in most of your posts, and its old. Just because Im not some master fabber or top notch mechanic doesnt mean I cant ask for a little help....and for people to stay on the damn topic. This is the first big project Im going to do on my rig, so I wanted as much insight from the truly good fabbers on this site as I can, which isnt to say that Im not researching it other places also. Ive been studying over this thing all over the web for 3 or 4 weeks straight now. I just wanna do it right. So stay off my ass, and if you dont have anything else to add to the help on this project, stay off the thread. Id appreciate it, not that you'd care much.

Last edited by 6lug; 11-13-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 6lug
Look fly....Im kinda tired of your BS. I cant just pull money from my ass, so Im tryin to ask as many people for their advice as I can. I know you think youre holier than now, but it aint happenin for you. You make your stupid comments in most of your posts, and its old. Just because Im not some master fabber or top notch mechanic doesnt mean I cant ask for a little help....and for people to stay on the damn topic. This is the first big project Im going to do on my rig, so I wanted as much insight from the truly good fabbers on this site as I can, which isnt to say that Im not researching it other places also. Ive been studying over this thing all over the web for 3 or 4 weeks straight now. I just wanna do it right. So stay off my ass, and if you dont have anything else to add to the help on this project, stay off the thread. Id appreciate it, not that you'd care much.
I just answered your question.

Read it and do it.

Profanity is unnecessary.

Is 3" over stock versus 4" worth the hassle, you can answer that.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:07 PM

"Profanity is unnecessay."

Youre right about that.....sorry.

Ill work out the rest of the issues with steering etc myself....the thread is now for whatever you all want it for.....thank you guys for all the help...honeslty. when the project starts up, Ill make sure to have a good post on it. Thanks a lot..Alex
Old 11-13-2005, 07:41 PM

Being a jackass, is setting up gears unaware of the potential hazards if done incorectly.
Have you ever set up gears before?

It is pretty much a hit or miss deal, at least in my mind. The setup is in spec or it isn't. The pattern is either good, or it isn't. Even if the setup was off, it would simply shorten the life of the gears. A mucked install to the point where the rear end would lock up while cruising down the highway is difficult to imagine, although feasible. You would have to have your head lodged completely up your rear.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:46 AM

lowest/cheapest SAS i could do without ghetto rigging anything. total parts cost is $1K
the only thing i bought that i could have really made are shock towers. the front hanger, rear hangers, shackles, shackle tubes (just cut some DOM), etc. i made myself.

front springs: stock rear springs, free.

rear springs: chevies $50

there are ways to cut costs, but the cheapest way is usually not the best way, there is a middle ground.

Last edited by Napoleon047; 11-14-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Napoleon047
lowest/cheapest SAS i could do without ghetto rigging anything. total parts cost is $1K
the only thing i bought that i could have really made are shock towers. the front hanger, rear hangers, shackles, shackle tubes (just cut some DOM), etc. i made myself.

front springs: stock rear springs, free.

rear springs: chevies $50

there are ways to cut costs, but the cheapest way is usually not the best way, there is a middle ground.
I assume this excludes gears, lockers, tires, wheels which usually make up a significant amount of the cost of a SAS.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by 00Runner
I assume this excludes gears, lockers, tires, wheels which usually make up a significant amount of the cost of a SAS.
it includes front gears, and locker (lock-rite). tires and wheels are the 33's and stock rims that i already had.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:36 PM

Food for thought
This is about 4"
with 32x11.5
10" of travel 4-up, 6-down

Old 11-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Banned

phalanx, your truck is sweet! that SAS makes me want one...
Old 11-15-2005, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

yep, i love that rig.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:03 AM

you need to get the proper u-bolts for the driver side there if you havent gotten them already. those ones will work lose.

edit: good job on that SAS looks clean and it even looks stock. should havelo come from the factory like that

Last edited by Napoleon047; 11-16-2005 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:14 AM

Phalanx, what brand springs are you using? Your 4Runner came out really nice! I agree, Toyota should have sent them to the states like that. That is about the height I am looking for. My '89 All Pro swap came out huge! I had 35" tires and could have had bigger. Just too tall.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:58 PM

Instead of using a shortened pitman arm or moving the box forward, couldnt you just mount the drag link behind the tie rod...?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 6lug
Instead of using a shortened pitman arm or moving the box forward, couldnt you just mount the drag link behind the tie rod...?
You can do anything you want. At the current moment I don't know of anyone that makes a setup like this.

You can also mount the tie rod on the back side of the axle if worried about clearance....

Quick Reply: Mild SAS questions...possible?