Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mild SAS questions...possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I didn't read all the ramblings of Cheese the Wonder Boy and old man homo Burrito but FWIW I have a SFA 85 on 37" MT/Rs 4 banger 5 speed and still get 18-22 mpg and drive 75+ mph on the Interstate everyday...drives fine and no worries. You want more specifics...link is in my sig.

Good luck.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4crawler, that is what Im lookin for....that crossover. Where do i get that? And thanks for the bit about notching the frame, that may come in handy.

Waskilly, not sure who Cheese and Homo Burrito are, what is FWIW, and your 85 is FRIGGIN AWESOME. Just a little bigger than I really want, but very bad@$$.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:17 PM

I believe All Pro still sells the double arm you need, but if not, give Aqualu a call. I've had two of theirs (TR on top, TR on bottom). Expect to pay $250-300 just for that double arm. Then another $150 for draglink. So it's going to likely be more than hi-steer, but might be exactly what you need.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:02 PM

Yes!!! I did a little research on that arm, but I wasnt sure if it would fit on a truck axle since it is meant for an fj40. Does it fit?
Old 11-08-2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 6lug
Yes!!! I did a little research on that arm, but I wasnt sure if it would fit on a truck axle since it is meant for an fj40. Does it fit?
Fits perfectly. I've run two of them on my old x-cab. One with TRE on the bottom, one on top. I had to switch from bottom to top due to thickness of the springs I was running. FWIW, I ran a 2" drop hanger, 2" body lift and 3" AP springs for a total of about 6" of lift (4.3 chevy v6). Drop the body lift and the 2" drop hanger to a 1" and you should end up at around 3-4" total depending on weight of the truck.

I also ran 3" dropped bumpstops and never had contact between the draglink and frame. My axle was 3" forward, btw.

One thing you might want to do: get a tie rod and hook it up to your current PS box... It will help give you a better idea of how much room you have.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:40 PM

Cool...lots of good info there...I appreciate it. Alex
Old 11-08-2005, 07:54 PM

Does anyone happen to know if Joe Chacon still has a web site? I know he got out of wheeling after he rolled his truck down a hill, but he had a great write-up on a very low lift SAS that would be very helpful for this thread.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:56 PM

Steve, Would you give me the measurements from your frame to the ground in the corners. I am looking at doing my lift similiar to yours. I also have no desire to run anything greater than 35's and would prefer a lower stance.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:11 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 6lug
OK guys....got some questions for you smart suspension people. My 4runner is slowly but surely becoming more capable. I want to perform a solid axle swap sometime this summer, but I have a few questions. According to yotaman and his buildup, he regretted spending all his time and money keeping up his stock ifs, and recommended saving the money for a swap (which I totally agree with). Im an intermediate wheeler, learning fab techniques in a college welding class, and want to start stepping it up on the trail, but also want road manners, since I drive to and from college quite a bit on the interstate.
questions: can I use stock front toyota leaf springs on my 93 runner to gain only a small amount of front lift on the SAS?

If so, can I still use high steer?

would stock leafs give any lift at all? ( i know the hangers add and inch as well as the shackles)

the reasons for keeping it lower....1) wont have to spend a whole lot of $$$ on the rear to level it (already has 2.5 inches from All Pro spacers)
2) better highway handling and mileage
3) want to turn this rig into more of an expedition type vehicle but with the added strength and less parts of a SFA

any help, opinions, (helpful) criticisms, or whatever is greatly appreciated.
ask any questions you need too, if I forgot anything...
thanks guys...Alex
Alex----go standard x-over.....save some money and make your own Y arm in welding class like this....MIG welded.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:52 PM

While I respect Zuk very much, I think this is absolutely the worst advice ever. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER mess with your (and my) life by fabbing steering components when other, safer, better options exist. Your life is not worth saving $200.... And I KNOW my life, and the lives of other drivers, are worth WAY more than $200..
Old 11-10-2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by rockota
While I respect Zuk very much, I think this is absolutely the worst advice ever. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER mess with your (and my) life by fabbing steering components when other, safer, better options exist. Your life is not worth saving $200.... And I KNOW my life, and the lives of other drivers, are worth WAY more than $200..
i agree. I would certainly run that on the trail, but I would not run it on the street. You can get away with a lot of stuff on a trail rig that I would never want to run on the street. That looks like a decently solid piece that would never give you any problems, but why risk it...
Old 11-10-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Grab some coffee (or beverage of your liking) and start reading these threads over on pirate.

Rears up Front FAQ. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...rears+up+front

Chevy Spring Swap FAQ.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...vy+spring+swap

I’m planning to use either ½ ton Chevy’s or ¾ ton Chevy springs for the rear of my 4Runner. I’m still in the research stage for the rear of my 4Runner but when it happens I’ll have measurements for everyone.

Keep watching my thread because I now have most of the things needed for my swap. I plan to have my swap finished before the end or the year.

Last edited by yotaman; 11-10-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a thread for ya. A 3" spring is about as low as you can go.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387526

EDIT: forgot link :pat:
Old 11-11-2005, 05:05 AM
ZUK

Originally Posted by 44Runner
i agree. I would certainly run that on the trail, but I would not run it on the street. You can get away with a lot of stuff on a trail rig that I would never want to run on the street. That looks like a decently solid piece that would never give you any problems, but why risk it...
I expect some criticism...that's why I posted pics. I know you guys respect me but I would also like you to realize that I have been doing this for many years (my first Y arm was made back in the spring of 1990 for a converted 89 Toy truck back when most thought an SAS could not even be done to an IFS truck). The key to doing it safely is the soft application of heat and allow it to air cool(the arms are cast steel). Clean MIG welds and air cool. Boxed triangle bracing. Of course, not anybody with a MIG should attempt this unless they have the experience and know-how.
Actually, in the real world of racing, you might be surprised how much torch and bend and MIG goes on with steering components. This is because each car is a one of a kind and after-market parts might not fit on exactly as intended and have to be persuaded to fit the geometry.
I agree that for most people the strong looking Y-ARM from ALLPRO for 199 is the way to go. ZUK

edit----I just searched....I can't even find the Y arm anymore. Looks like Allpro dis-continued it? Not at FROR either.

Last edited by ZUK; 11-11-2005 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by ZUK
Actually, in the real world of racing, you might be surprised how much torch and bend and MIG goes on with steering components. This is because each car is a one of a kind and after-market parts might not fit on exactly as intended and have to be persuaded to fit the geometry.
Bolded the important part, Zuk. Off road, closed course, I don't care what you do. But on the road, the risk is NOT worth it.

edit----I just searched....I can't even find the Y arm anymore. Looks like Allpro dis-continued it? Not at FROR either.
Aqualu still has them.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by ZUK
Of course, not anybody with a MIG should attempt this unless they have the experience and know-how.
I quoted the other important part. I have a decent amount of experience and STILL wouldn't do it. I know how, I feel pretty confident that I wouldn't have any problems, but there would still be that nagging feeling asking why am I not spending a few bucks to do this the right way. Besides, originally you suggested that this guy do this himself, which is a really bad idea. You, ok, at least I have faith it is gonna hold although still bad, him, defininately not...
Old 11-11-2005, 06:42 AM
ZUK

...closed course 220 mph.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:00 PM
ZUK

Originally Posted by 44Runner
I quoted the other important part. I have a decent amount of experience and STILL wouldn't do it. I know how, I feel pretty confident that I wouldn't have any problems, but there would still be that nagging feeling asking why am I not spending a few bucks to do this the right way. Besides, originally you suggested that this guy do this himself, which is a really bad idea. You, ok, at least I have faith it is gonna hold although still bad, him, defininately not...
The whole concept of being a fabricator is ......to fabricate. We all have our comfortable levels of fabrication. Years of experience allows me to do many fab jobs safely. I understand your frustration.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bunch of arm chair engineers here.

Lets face it, short of zuk having that thing x-rayed there is no arguement that it would be any worse than anything else you can buy.
Granted exsperiance has everything to do with it...

Personally there are about a million other do it yourself things that scare me more than Zuk's Y arm. Guys that set up their own gears? Home made bumbers and recovery points that are bird crapped on? I mean I don't see that much of a hazard suggesting to to this over welding the the spring hangers on for the sas. ( I do but for the sake of doing it bad either one would be dangerous )

Scary Steering -- Look only if you DARE
Old 11-11-2005, 08:58 PM

Look, you all just stay out of TN, and you wont have to worry about it. Ha ha. And 44 Runner, you dont know me foo....dont judge. (messin) Im actually a pretty dern good welder, but I dont think I would try it myself. Thanks all you guys for all your input.

Quick Reply: Mild SAS questions...possible?