Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downey coil and shock install help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downey coil and shock install help

Just got my new Downey rear 1 1/2" coils today with new shocks. I plan on starting work on putting them in as soon as I get home. Anyone got any tips or tricks they wanna throw out there for me before I start? I appreciate any help.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:11 PM

hey i am in the process of getting the downey 1 1/2 coils for my 4runner as well and im kinda worried that it'll be too high in the back ... could you maybe post up some pictures of the install as well as before and after pics. i just want to make sure it'll look good.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a good coil compressor and an air gun with some balls and have a friend there to stand on the tire for the extra cushion of sliding in the new ones and it should only take about 30mins per side.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:36 PM

spring compressors rented from Advanced... 0$ and a big friend to stand on the brake drum.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:45 PM

You do not need a coil compressor for the rear shocks, only for assembling front coilovers.

Did you get the longer brake lines for the rear?

For the rear, get the tires off and remove the OEM shocks. Then jack the vehicle up and use jackstands on the frame to get full rear droop (watch your stock length brake lines though) of the axle when the jack is removed. If you cannot just yank out the rear coils then push down on the axle to get a bit more clearance. Put in the new coil on that side and repeat for the other side. Next jack the axle up a bit to compress the new coils and install the new shocks.

I found the new coils and shocks to be an improvement over stock but not good for carrying a heavy load of gear. I eventually ordered taller custom Deaver coils and Donahoe shocks. The Doestch Tech shocks are made for prerunner trucks with empty beds and have a fast, soft compression stroke. My first set of Downey coils settled until they were stock height again after trying to carry a whole bunch of gear so I can't blame Downey. Downey still replaced them as they are good guys.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by gabe1347
hey i am in the process of getting the downey 1 1/2 coils for my 4runner as well and im kinda worried that it'll be too high in the back ... could you maybe post up some pictures of the install as well as before and after pics. i just want to make sure it'll look good.
search my posts to see....earliest ones have Downey rear springs such as for my Moab/Canyonlands trip
Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128/downey-coils-bilstein-shocks-2nd-gen-4runner-76341/ Always check the tech section for write ups on stuff like this!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you don't "need" the strut compressors (spring compressors that attach to the outside of the spring) but they make life a little easier. If you do use them, use them to take off the old ones (even if they'll come out with out them), note their position relative to the spring (and specifically how the spring fits between the frame and axle) because you'll want to attach the compressors to the same (relative) position. Otherwise you'll do like I did and install the springs only to realize you can't get the compressors off, remove the springs, re-attach the compressors, then re-install them. this was all done with a 3/4" combo wrench, so if you have air tools it may be easier.

For brake lines, I've heard the downey coils come with a stainless steel line; if not, if your current lines have a 9" rubber hose you may need a longer line. I had the 9" version and it seems that others had an 11" version which would have been fine.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:39 AM

I've changed out the rear springs by myself three times without needing a spring compressor. It really is quick and easy. If a compressor makes it easier than then I am all for it. Just seems like extra work...

My kit did come with the stainless lines. Other folks use an extension plate to lower the brake line mounting bracket on the truck's frame. now I am looking for an excuse to put stainless lines up front!

Last edited by Teotwaki; 04-20-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:24 PM

Disconnect the sway bars and the rear axle will move a LOT more easily. Have a friend stand on the brake drum and the stock springs might just come out without the compressor. The new springs should go in with the compressor and even so it seemed like a tight fit as I recall. Dunno how you are supposed to easily get the 1.5" spacers on top of the springs. I plan to do mine in the fall or possibly early spring as I don't want down time during prime weather for off roading.