Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Dilema of Balancing Big Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Question The Dilema of Balancing Big Tires

Well I've got the 37s on the 85 completely unbalanced...and it ain't too bad. Got some shimmies at a few speeds, but certainly a far cry shy of death wobble. It is certainly drivable and quite pleasant at speeds over 65 mph! The previous 35s drove wabfabulous!

Several questions though...

1. These shimmies would seem that over a period of time would be detrimental to components that are mounted, i.e. engine mounts, tranny mounts, t-case mount, etc. What do you think the effects are on these components?

2. I've read tire balancing threads out the wazoo - from BBs to golfballs to Equal to intergalactic gizmos concocted by space aliens who liked rockcrawling...all seem a bit far fetched even if some swear by them. I'd like to at least have the rig drivable if need be until I get another DD/tow rig early next year sometime and it would seem that just slapping on the conventional weights would be the best idea. Yet when I initially had the tires mounted the tire tech said that the first tire he spun was going to need a TON of weight. So I just said forget it cause I was in a hurry.

P.S. If you have not had tires over 33" in your life on a vehicle and/or have experience w/ such...don't bother offering an opinion please.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 08-22-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have them dynamic balanced and let them ride! I have heard good things about equal, but do not have any personal experience with it.

You might look for a truck shop that can spin balance them on the vehicle.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are willing to spend the dollars i have heard great things about centramatic balancers.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Banned

FYI: These will be beadlocked in a year or less.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Check this website out.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
Old 08-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

You've got to be kidding me.....Beads inside the tires?!?!?!? Has anyone actually tried this?

Matt
Old 08-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

What happens if you're totally dissatisfied with them? How in the world would you ever get them out? Seems to me like you'd be stuck.

Matt
Old 08-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Banned

Sound like BBs, I mean Dyna Beads. It is hard for me to believe that 10 ounces of beads can balance a 75 lb+ tire...but folks swear by them darn BBs...might have to give it a try.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
...1. These shimmies would seem that over a period of time would be detrimental to components that are mounted, i.e. engine mounts, tranny mounts, t-case mount, etc. What do you think the effects are on these components?...
What do you perceive the purpose of motor mounts, transmission mounta, transfer case mounts, body mounts, etc to be? Among other things, they serve to isolate vibration (another term for shimmy) from the occupants. A steering shimmy will damage steering components, and not a mount which is designed to withstand vibration.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My friends used to take their trucks to the big rig tire balancer. They concentrate on big tires/wheels, so you might try that?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

Big rig tire balancer is an idea...we got several local places as I imagine most "car" machines aren't made to handle 37s...

Old 08-22-2005, 07:18 PM

After running my 35s for a couple months and running the 36s for about a month I was checking around with a friend of mine and he told me they were toast....I don't know, check em out.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4RocRunner92
After running my 35s for a couple months and running the 36s for about a month I was checking around with a friend of mine and he told me they were toast....I don't know, check em out.
HUH?

Old 08-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
A few things to try.

I like the Centramatics (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ce/index.shtml). Big rigs run them and you can move them from tire to tire with no additional cost. I am on my 5th sets of tires with them and still the same units. I guess that puts the cost/tire balance at about $10/tire which is usually less than a shop would charge, so I have recovered the cost of the balancers.

I also bought a bubble balancer (Harbor Freight) and have had good luck static balancing my tires (33s and 35s/beadlocked). Just need to get them close then the Centramatics do the rest.

A few guys in my club are running the DynaBeads in beadloncked 37"+ tires and love them, although they mainly trailer their rigs. I may dump about 8 oz. on my 35s since the wheels won't quite fit my balancer.

Or find a big rig shop and have the tires checked and trued if needed. I did this to my old Swampers (they had upwards of 2 lbs. of lead on them before). They shaved off the high spots and that made a huge difference in the ride. If the tires are not round, no amount of lead will make them run smooth.

Or, find a good tire balance shop and have them spend the time to seat/balance/reseat the tires on the wheels to minimize the imbalance. Wheels are not perfectly round. Tires are also not perfectly round nor perfectly balanced. I discuss the details on my web page (http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Tires.shtml#RUNOUT) but the idea is to put the high point of the tire over the low point of the wheel to get the roundest install. I notice that BFG is now marking the ATs and MTs with high spot marks like passenger car tires have had for years. Goodyear doesn't seem to be doing that. On my new 33x10.50 BFGs, I lined up the dots with the valve stem holes and had one take 0 weight, then other an ounce or two and they run very smooth.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

BB's or Golf balls. If you are doing weld on-beadlocks and plan on wheeling this, then any balancing you do that involvs stick on weights will be a waste of money.

Dump a shotglass or two of BB's in each tire and call it good. I ran golf balls in my Q78's for 22K miles on a daily driver, and while it did work, they were not to refined. I still had slight vibrations, mostly because of the size of the golf balls, they dont spread out like the BB's do.

And to adress the issue of getting them out, all you do is break the bead, nothing complicated about it.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

When I got my tires put on the guy at Discount tire said he had to mount/dismount them on the wheels 3 or 4 times each to get then close enough to balance with lead weights...I think my best balanced tire has about 5 strips of 15 of those stick on weights and 2 of the big long weights and a couple of the short ones, these are with aluminum wheels which I think are better balanced then steelies...I'm may look into equal altho I've heard some bad things about it clumping so I'll probably look into that other kind ou put in your tire (I dont remember the brand name)
Old 08-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Equal is powder, works fine in big rig tires that never get aired up and down. Air up and downa lot and you'll get moisture in the tires unless you run dry CO2 or something like that, but compressed air has moisture. The DynaBeads (see InnovativeBalancing link above) are supposed to work better, they are larger ceramic beads and won't clump (like powder) or rust (like BBs). The Centramatics I run are essentially lead shot in a plastic ring filled with oil.

And yes, the mounting/remounting the tires is a good thing to do. Unfortunately most places put them on once, spin them up and slap a few pounds of weight on them and call it good.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 08-22-2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Ya dynabeads thats the other one I was thinkin of Thanks its nice that the managers that work at the discount tire here wheel and run either swampers, MT/Rs or BFG muds so they take extra care with off road tires
Old 08-23-2005, 03:15 AM
Banned

How expensive are the Dyna Beads as I didn't see any prices on their site that I could find? I think that means

Old 08-23-2005, 04:22 AM

I went thru this very same thing trying to balance 37 boggers on TrailReady Beadlocks.

BBS suck, they are loud, disinegrate over time and just about impossible to deal with IMO. Golf Balls worked AWESOME!

Get a bubble balancer for motorcycle wheel and lay a mounted tire on it.

Lay golf balls on the side setting higher than the other till is sits level. Whatever # of golf balls you have, throw them in the tire and it's balanced.

It works like a washing machine being in balance and if you air up and down alot, stay away from the powder. I've almost always have had mudd in my rims and that stuff sucks when it mixes with moisture even if your valve stems are wet.

I'll balance these Krawlers the very same way. It works.

Quick Reply: The Dilema of Balancing Big Tires