Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check list for used 4-runner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check list for used 4-runner?

I just bought a 1990 4-Runner and i am new to 4wd's. I read in 4wd yota owner mag that before you take your truck off road you need to make sure everything is in good working order. any sugestions would be helpful. i cant wait to hit the trail. oh and any trails in houston area that are leagal?
Old 04-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Check all you fluid levels, do an oil change, check your tires, air filter, all the basic stuff...you know
Old 04-08-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude you are gonna have to let me know where you plan on wheelin! I live about 4 hours away and I just bought my first 4runner as well(1990). There is the beach around here (Corpus Christi) But I really dont have a place to go ATM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Spare tire condition, properly inflated? Jack? does it work? Get a strap or chain of some sort(man I don't get people who expect the next guy to come along to have one when they're the one stuck )A shovel is another basic. I always carry a gallon of water. Not for the truck necessarily, for drinkin', washing hands/parts/dirty windsheilds, etc.

TOOLS!

Your camera, in case somethin' cool happens.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Please do not use a chain as recovery gear!!!

Have a proper tow strap WITHOUT the hooks. Get one with the loops on the end and at least one shackle. (only trying to make this clear b/c I went out and got all of the wrong stuff) If you get the tow strap with hooks you could ingure yourself or someone else as those things turn to bullets if they ever let go. If you need proof there are pictures on the net of guys with holes in their tailgates.

Make sure you have good TOW points, do not use the tie if at all possible. Good tow points that come from the factory include the front tow hook and if your truck has the tow package then the hitch. If you don't have good tow points there are a few options you go go with. I know Schafer makes some hangers for the front...

Last edited by turboale; 04-10-2007 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:44 PM

Tow straps work great, especially if you don't have a winch! Helpful wheeling tip: if your stuck, tires spinning and you aren't going anywhere, break out the tow rope. Secure it to a close by tree (or fixed object) and wrap around the tire that is spinning (front tire if you're going foreward, back tire if you wanna reverse... DUH!) Now, you want to make sure that it doesn't slip off the tire and wrap around your axle, that could potentially cause damage, or just be a headache Anyway, give it a little gas, it'll either lock up that tire so that the other tire spins (and hopefully grips) or it'll continue to spin and pull your vehilce foreward (or backwards.) Don't give it too much gas, you could break something, so be careful. Come-alongs, are also an excellent thing to bring for wheelin' I've gone through a couple myself. Water (for yourself or if your engine randomly overheats.) Not much else is coming to mind, if you got anymroe questions, just ask.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by turboale
Please do not use a chain as recovery gear!!!
Hmmm.... I'm at a loss. Other than the fact that they weigh more, I have no idea what you could possibly mean by that. Seems to me an awfull lotta tow truck drivers might know better. A chain is easier to use. And safer in my opinion, because there's no stretch involved. Which, if your properly performing an extraction, is not a good thing. I ain't sayin' straps aren't any good, but I have seen a few break, never seen a chain do so. I have been laughed at on occassion when I've tossed a strap to somebody to use.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-10-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:58 PM

for general road worthyness, here is a good checklist (even tho you have a different engine) http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...a_4runner_30k/

basically, get the factory maintenance schedule and go through each item that specifies attention. replace all fluids, filters, belts, hoses, distributor cap, wires, plugs (keep the replaced items truck for spares). lube the drive train often (squirt each zirk every oil change). check brake pads. and use good gasoline - i hate to say it, but the majors (chevron etc) all use additive that your EFI system will appreciate.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1990Runner
I just bought a 1990 4-Runner and i am new to 4wd's. I read in 4wd yota owner mag that before you take your truck off road you need to make sure everything is in good working order. any sugestions would be helpful. i cant wait to hit the trail. oh and any trails in houston area that are leagal?
Someone with another vehicle never go alone and a cell phone
Old 04-10-2007, 04:16 PM

Solid axle swap, 35+ inch bias ply mud tires, lockers front a rear, and a winch front and back.

I'm just playin. I agree never go alone or at least have a phone with someone on call with straps. Make sure you take it slow and easy the first time.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Hmmm.... I'm at a loss. Other than the fact that they weigh more, I have no idea what you could possibly mean by that. Seems to me an awfull lotta tow truck drivers might know better. A chain is easier to use. And safer in my opinion, because there's no stretch involved. Which, if your properly performing an extraction, is not a good thing. I ain't sayin' straps aren't any good, but I have seen a few break, never seen a chain do so. I have been laughed at on occassion when I've tossed a strap to somebody to use.
The last timei used a chain this happened. Because it didnt stretch, the energy was transfered into my hitch.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1990Runner
You oughta hit up spring creek up near the hardy toll road. Alot of guys from ttora go there. What part of town do you live in?

Here's their website: http://springcreekoffroad.com/