Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain VS Tow Strap Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Chain VS Tow Strap Question

Some people have posted that a chain is a good way to kill somone, or seriously damage a truck. I have heard, and had 1 sided experience that say the exact oposite. I have had numerous chains come off, and because a chain is all links, it just falls to the ground, no recoil. I have heard on the other hand, that tow straps recoil something fierce, and can fly through windshields, heads, etc... I use a tow strap because it's less of a slam when you start pulling. What is the truth in this matter?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a chain under load may fall, but with the broken link, it can fly and do some serious damage... a lot depends also on the conditions as to which are being used... if you are trying to yank a vehicle from mud or the like, hands down a strap is better becasue it has some of that recoil and has a much higher breaking strength... straps are easily rated and a 20k pound rating, no cahin i know of that is practical will pull that much.... also chains dont fit through D shackles that are strong enough to pull a vehicle....
Old 04-12-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strap is the only way to go.

But no matter what you are using. Strap, Chain or winch line, ALWAYS hang something like a coat, blanket or towel over the center of the line, this will 9 out of 10 times reduce or stop the recoil if the line breaks and save your life.

Hell take you pants off if you have to. Id rather be standing there in my gitch than have a chain threw my head.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

I don't remember where I found this picture but this is off of a hooked tow strap.
For this reason I will not use any sort of metal for recovery.

Name:  hookdamage.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  223.9 KB

EDIT:
Was re-reading your post and I find it hard to believe that a chain will just fall to the ground. Not saying that you're wrong but I can't really see that happening.

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 04-12-2005 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:20 PM

You've got to define the different things you are talking about. Tow straps are not recovery straps, and neither of those are like chains. A recovery strap wil usually have loop ends, no hooks, and will have stretch built into the material to yank stuck vehicles. A tow strap may have hooks. Not sure on the elasticity, but I wouldn't want much in a tow strap. These straps are used for different purposes. I would only use chains for binding a load.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

straps are safer to tug a stuck vehicle, chains are good for a stationary pull where no yanking is needed(winching), and tow hooks are ONLY to be used to tow a disables vehicle on a paved surface...
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 PM

ive seen a chain snap around the middle links, the towle, jeans and shirt we had on it didnt stop the rear section from going through my buddys grill, ac thingy, and radiator, it also took out the fan.

but i have also seen tow straps with hooks slip off and have that hook flying at a gigillion miles an hour at something.

all i use is jerk straps with no hooks, but sewn in eyes, those are the best imho.

wade
Old 04-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Imagine if that was your head.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

At work I've busted many chains, 9 times out of 10 they just drop to the ground. Recently I used one wrapped around the back of a dozer since the shackle wouldn't fit and had a 3" steel cable attached. It pulled the dozer out but the operator stopped and the other guy kept pulling, the chain busted in over half dozen pieces, none of which went flying. Personally I perfer a tow strap, but carry a chain to use with my highlift.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into getting a strap with no hooks. That seems safe, and more practical for pulling stuck vehicles.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

about 4 yrs ago at haspen acres we were wheeling in the bottoms, and came upon some guys that were stuck, they had jeep hooked to a chevy blazer. They were using a come-a-long to try to pull the jeep, and all of the sudden it snapped and wraped around a guys leg, and cut him to the bone, not sure if the guy lost his leg or not.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:40 AM
DMG

A hardened steel chain does not stretch before it breaks so it will not react as violently when it breaks. However if it is stretching the attatched points on either truck it could snap back.

The safest way is to use a strap with sewn loops and hang a backpack or coat on it
Old 04-13-2005, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into getting a strap with no hooks. That seems safe, and more practical for pulling stuck vehicles.
TRD Parts 4 U was selling them Pro Comp recovery starps for $45 bucks or something these are rated at 33,000 LBS, and made for this aplication

I bought one a couple months back.

Cant find the thread now. but do a search
Old 04-13-2005, 07:31 AM

Just last weekend we were towing a stuck snowmobile out with another snowmobile when the hook bent and came undone. It fired back and smacked my friend square in the neck and knocked the wind out of him. Luckily it didnt hit him in the eye or mouth, it could have been really ugly. Dont tow with metal hooks.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:12 AM

I bought a 20' hooped strap at Harbor Freight for 25.00, It's cheap enough just grab one, don't risk it.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

I use straps for yanking, but I think I'd rather use the chain with my come-a-long. THe elasticity of a yanker would take forever to crank in.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:22 AM

Straps are the only way to go.chains are for securing a load or something to that effect.Use a chain if it's the last resort.Being from the construction industry you get some insight to what does and does not work.

1.strap
2.cable that has been braided back into itself and saddle clamps
3.chain(last resort)
Old 09-24-2005, 05:55 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Some people have posted that a chain is a good way to kill somone, or seriously damage a truck. I have heard, and had 1 sided experience that say the exact oposite. I have had numerous chains come off, and because a chain is all links, it just falls to the ground, no recoil. I have heard on the other hand, that tow straps recoil something fierce, and can fly through windshields, heads, etc... I use a tow strap because it's less of a slam when you start pulling. What is the truth in this matter?
Tug-straps having truly amazing recovery power. If done right, you can get a running start in second gear low range and pull a bad ass suburban out of a mud sucking hole in 1 pull......the energy stored in that strap can kill if the pull is not engineered right.
Make sure you get Gods blessings if using chains and tugstraps together.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:59 AM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
Originally Posted by DMG
A hardened steel chain does not stretch before it breaks so it will not react as violently when it breaks.

A cheap ass chain will stretch before it breaks and when it does, it can be very very violent.

I picked up a 50k pound 15 foot strap off ebay for 20 bucks I think. Chains are NOT for yanking, nor ar thos DEADLY metal hooks.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
a chain under load may fall, but with the broken link, it can fly and do some serious damage... a lot depends also on the conditions as to which are being used... if you are trying to yank a vehicle from mud or the like, hands down a strap is better becasue it has some of that recoil and has a much higher breaking strength... straps are easily rated and a 20k pound rating, no cahin i know of that is practical will pull that much.... also chains dont fit through D shackles that are strong enough to pull a vehicle....
I agree with alot of this, but chains are stronger at static load, straps have an advantage because of the ability to store energy and the "sping" you out, but transport grade or grade 43 chain is plenty strong and don't kid yourself, as dangerous as a broken chain is, it's still stronger than a snatch strap... plus a chain is far less subject to wear and tear uf general use, a snatch strap that get's frayed or nicked gives up ALOT of strength, and they're way easier to f-up on the trail if you're stupid about it... in aplication tho, I'll always reach for the snatch strap first, it's just easier to work with/carry/store... plus, when you've got a 22RE under the hood momentum is your savior eh

I carry both... I will say that if you've got an idiot pulling you, a chain can reall put alot of stress on your rig and theirs, there's no give, and it does a real number on a rig if you're not smooth about taking up the slack :pat: