Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is the best SAS kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marlin has always been good to me, on a crawler debacle, gears, etc. Right now it is hard to get them on the phone.

All Pro was the first in the business to mass produce it.

Trail Gear has unbeatable completeness and price.

I have a Mutt kit. Alcan springs, FROR hanger, Diamond axle, Fox shocks, just a bunch of pick and choose.

If you go with a complete kit, the surprises are cut down. When it is all made to work together, it will.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Intrepid
Nobody got the "BAN" reference huh?
I did...
Old 08-08-2006, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Intrepid
Nobody got the "BAN" reference huh?
missed that one. good catch
Old 10-28-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by DN1911
remember, just because a place sends you all kinds of other parts the many places don't, dosen't mean those parts are worth using. i think i would use All Pro, Sky's, or Marlins first.
alot of trail gears parts are the exact same as all pro, marlin and skys, hell skys' sells trail gear....
Old 10-28-2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
its all the same, six, one half dozen, or the other...

<SNIP>

The kits are roughly the same.

Ahhh, I wouldn't say that:

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod...86-95_coilover

That's how to do a SAS....

Fred
Old 10-28-2006, 10:24 PM

Why?

Tell me what makes that better compared to what was asked.

ORS is the only coilover kit. Sadly, most people with old junk use old junk axles which severely limit an otherwise good plan.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Why?

Tell me what makes that better compared to what was asked.

ORS is the only coilover kit. Sadly, most people with old junk use old junk axles which severely limit an otherwise good plan.
Be that true or not, a coil/link suspension with "old junk axles" is still better than a leaf suspension with "old junk axles"

Fred
Old 10-29-2006, 07:10 AM

What's better.

Most people lust over these without realizing there are compromises.

I am hoping someone who has actually driven a rig like this besides me will pipe up and share observations.

Is it better because of tunability?

Is it better because of travel?

Is it better because of drivability?
Old 10-29-2006, 07:27 AM

What's better.

I am hoping someone who has actually driven a rig like this besides me will pipe up and share observations.

It's better in just about any catagory that one wishes to compare.

Assuming that we SAS because we wheel.

If properly set up, the only thing wrong with a link setup (depending on spring choice) is some body roll, which also occurs with soft leaves and can be cured with a sway bar.

Depending on spring and shock choice, if you have the money, you cant beat coilovers. They have an unlimited choice of spring rates, dual, triple rates, valving options, and up to 16 inch stroke.

No matter how much the leaves flex, spring wrap, and the fanning out of the leaves cant compete with a link suspension. Lots of flex with leaves have consequences: warped spring packs, broken main leafs and spring wrap.

A properly set up link suspension with a street sway bar would be more streetable, more comfortable and smoother than leaves.

I've driven and wheeled (wheeled here in the SW in BIG rocks) both and have wheeled with people wheeling both types (leafs and coil/link suspension) and there is simply no real comparision between the two.

I really believe that most people, when they SAS go with leafs because more companies produce kits that way (because it's easier to install) and for no other reason except maybe cost (the leaf SAS kits seem perhaps a little less expensive).

Fred
Old 10-29-2006, 02:56 PM

I just want to start with I have never heard of Marlin before I came to Yotatech (just wasnt exposed the them). I started building my 84 a year ago and heard of All-pro because my brother in-law was converting his 88 runner to SA. I was about to do the Wagy springs front and rear, after talking to All-pro they convinced me to go with their springs. I know there was a sales pitch in there but they made alot of sence. Everything that I have upgraded to has all been All-pro. I have never once called them with a question and did not reach them during buisness hours. As for loyalty they have mine even if there price might be a little higher. Not saying that Marlin wont do the same thing but I came across All-pro first and havent had a problem with them yet.

Now for the coil over. I wish I had the money and the time to go coil over. I dont think there is anybody that can dispute coil over not being better than leaf spring. I am moving into a new house and in a couple of years I will build a shop and then it is on. Hopefully by then All-pro will have a complete four link coil over kit.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:21 PM

What's better.

I think you're playing devil's advocate, but I always understood you to be very happy with ORS's kit. :confused:
Old 10-29-2006, 06:52 PM

I was trying to justify lust.

I have driven that rig, wheeled it and wheeled with it. It is a nice truck.

High quality adjustable/rebuildable/revalvable/tunable components highlight that kit. Most people with old junk use old junk axles and want cheap, quick and dirty.

I think the leaves on my rig save it from being a floppy jalopy. Coilovered 4-link rear with leaves and airbumps in front.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:39 AM

My vote would have to go with Trail Gear they have the most complete kit and you get all the part yoy should get.

other are having some problems do to small working space getting the orders [ but they just moved to a big warehouse so that may inprove] out right and get thought to them on the phone can be a real problem
Old 10-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

i did the TG 5" f/r on my runner. Customer service was great. They forgot my rear shackle mounts for the back of my truck but they fedexed them and they were here 2nd day air. I have had to replace my front wheel bearings after about 4 months, but I replaced with Timken bearings, so I should be good for now. Springs did settle a bit(as expected), but I'm still not having issues fitting my 35" tires.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:12 PM

ORS or Marlin...I'm biased.....I'm a Marlin dealer and I'm workin' on being one for ORS

I'm not a fan of all-pro....I had a bad experience with them a while back and I just can't seem to let it go...

Last edited by SAS'dToy; 10-30-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:38 PM

I was trying to justify lust.

I have driven that rig, wheeled it and wheeled with it. It is a nice truck.

High quality adjustable/rebuildable/revalvable/tunable components highlight that kit. Most people with old junk use old junk axles and want cheap, quick and dirty.

I think the leaves on my rig save it from being a floppy jalopy. Coilovered 4-link rear with leaves and airbumps in front.
Cool - thanks for the info, Flyg.