Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

94 Pickup Idle Problems .... AGAIN. Mystery Hose and Port.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannot remember what this is called for the life of me!

Just picked up a 94 pickup 2wd, 175k on the body etc 30k on a rebuilt 22re motor. After some interstate driving, I noticed surging after I stopped at a light on an off ramp.

It has a great cold idle, but it seems when she reaches temp the surging starts.

So I started going through the list, plug wires, valves, timing, plugs, and vacuum leaks, lol well i didn't get far before I found this (pics attached).

Seems the seal is just gutted to death, and im sure this isnt right.

The metal "valve" was stick out about a 1/2 inch which made me curious enough to give it a little tug and it came right out.

So my question, what the heck is this thing called so i can order the part and fix it, and would this cause surging?

Sorry for the brain fart and thank you so much for your time.

D.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PCV valve. Positive Crankcase Ventilation.
Probably wouldnt cause surging idle. Never heard of it doing so. Replace anyways.

Have you checked your coolant level?
Make sure timing and base idle is set to spec and correctly
Old 09-30-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for your quick reply, I feel foolish for not remembering that. Yeah woooo 2 dollar fix. Anyway will the idle specs be in the basic manual? I was lucky enough to pick this up from a single owner, was owned by him the whole time. So I have all past work receipts and the basic manual.

I however do not own a Haynes etc manual for this yet.

Any help on that would be appreciated, I'm ready to just take it in and have my mechanic do the once over.

As for checking the coolant level whats the easiest way in this truck? Sorry for sounding like a dunce I just don't have very much experience with Toyotas thus far.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:58 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
just take the cap off and top it off. air pockets may exist if it's low so you may have to allow the air to purge out....best to park on a bit of an incline (air rises) and allow the air to just burp out.

start to eliminate some possibilities. check the coolant frequently, get a new cap as well. coolant system maintenance is probably the 1st major project I did. very easy way to accomplish a major feat and prevent some serious issues too. your truck will be happy to have new hoses, thermostat and radiator too if it's a culprit which it often can be.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I go throu the same thing in my truck. Ive been pondering buying that part to. Let us know if it helps. Ive replaced my 2 coolant sensors, my throttle body, my iacv. I Think it has to do with air in my coolant. I have 2 leaks. One in radiator and one behind head.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Good deal everyone! I'll be sure to top off tomorrow (it's dark here now) and my drive way already sits at an incline so that's a done deal.

I'm going to replace the pcv grommet and the pcv valve tomorrow too (if ya do one, might as well do the other) and plus its about 5 bucks in parts, pretty cheap.

Going to check the IACV, and the thermostat and whatever valve that is next to the thermostat housing as well. Should be a fun day lol. I'll keep you all posted.

Right now I'm gonna go check the plug wires since it dark, hopefully they dont light up like Christmas lights.

Oh and check engine light is on, going to have em diag tomorrow at Autozone.

Cheers.

Last edited by MisterDolo; 09-30-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dunno what coolant has to do with engine surges? But is the truck an auto? If so inspect vacuum hoses around the tranny..brother inlaws ford dis that after a flexplate replacement...and we forgot some hoses lol
Old 09-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Sorry didnt mention that, it's a 5 speed.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yoterr
Dunno what coolant has to do with engine surges? But is the truck an auto? If so inspect vacuum hoses around the tranny..brother inlaws ford dis that after a flexplate replacement...and we forgot some hoses lol

Maybe air in the iacv, cant built vaccuum from the leaks? Thats what the toyota parts guy said i just looked at him funny. He said its really common when theres a leak.... i dont believe him but its something to check. I guess.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by yoterr
the several times i've serviced my cooling system and the one time i rebuilt my motor, until you get the air out of the system, the sensor starts making the idle "lope" because of air pockets....and until you get the air out and proper level of liquid in, it will do this. I don't know technical names for the sensor or even why it does that and what happens next, but it does, it's supposed to and bring the cooling system up to the proper level corrects it.

likewise, it's part of the differential diagnosis.....start eliminating possible causes.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The temperature sensor you are referring to is the Water Temperature sensor (THW) for the ECU. It's probably the most important sensor the ECU relies on for engine management. The ecu uses the operating temperature of the engine to adjust fuel, ignition timing etc. Air pockets in the cooling system are definitely going to give the ecu false temperature readings from the sensor, which could definitely be a cause for the surging. Vacuum leaks can do this too, but I'd make sure that there was no air in the cooling system before I troubleshooted any further.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hadmatt54
The temperature sensor you are referring to is the Water Temperature sensor (THW) for the ECU. It's probably the most important sensor the ECU relies on for engine management. The ecu uses the operating temperature of the engine to adjust fuel, ignition timing etc. Air pockets in the cooling system are definitely going to give the ecu false temperature readings from the sensor, which could definitely be a cause for the surging. Vacuum leaks can do this too, but I'd make sure that there was no air in the cooling system before I troubleshooted any further.
^^^that.

thanks for the clarification. I get befuddled by the names of things. thanks.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:17 AM

Just a word of advice to people who have the same issue..... PURGE PURGE PURGE. Obviously I had air in my cooling system, I purged and topped off and it quit surging. Im not too sure if the pcv had anything to do with it, as I wasnt able to test run it between fixing that and topping off the coolant.

So yeah, It's fixed. Thank you everyone for your replies and I am very grateful for your help.

Good day!

D.

::EDIT:: Typo

Last edited by MisterDolo; 10-04-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:59 PM

good deal.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 AM

94 Pickup Idle Problems .... AGAIN. Mystery Hose and Port.

Ok so I previously posted on here about an idle surging problem. I got that figured out (Air in the cooling system). Previously that only happened when I applied the breaks and stopped at a stop light.

Now Im having an issue while its idling, warmed up, and parked (no brakes applied)

I did some investigating under my hood and found a loose hose just dangling there, and found a port on the back of the motor that looks like its missing a hose. LOL.

I need to know where this hose goes basically. Seeing as this dangling hose comes off the throttle body or EFI, Im convinced it has to do with the idle problem, and this bare port. Heres some pics. Im pretty sure thats where it goes. It baffles me that it just blew off (time for some clamps)

The Pics.

I know may sound stupid and the hose actually reaches and is shaped as if thats where it goes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance!

D-