Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

transmission slipping, what to do

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission slipping, what to do

Hey guys, is this a common problem? Any known fix for it? Torque converter going out?

At this point im going to change the fluid, its due anyway, and see if that helps. Been slowly getting worse over the last 6 months or so.

02 tacoma 2wd 130000 mi 3.4L

Last edited by maachine; 09-11-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:52 AM

ok so after checking my trans after warm up, the fluid was over full. brought it to a transmission shop and didnt like what they told me......a few hour wait. so i went and got some trans fluid and am changing it myself. see if that will fix the problem. now for questions.

pick up screen. resuable right? just rinse it out with laquer thinner or something huh?

no parts stores has the pan gasket in stock. it will have to be ordered. i noticed there is rtv on the gasket, do i need the gasket or can i just rtv the pan to the trans? this is what the haynes manual says to do.

thanks guys

Last edited by maachine; 09-11-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:05 AM

nevermind. if i order a new filter it comes with the gasket, only 35 bucks and they'll have it in the store this afternoon. thanks anyway guys
Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are pretty much screwed unless you have the pink milkshake in which case you are still screwed.

Time for a rebuild I have a feeling sadly. The other option is to see if you can find a replacement transmission and have it swapped out. You will just have to compare prices and see what works for you.

I paid just over $1000 to have my transmission rebuilt and built with high performance stuff locally. Figure a little less for a stock rebuild.

You can generally find junkyard transmissions for around $500.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:44 AM

22re problems

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
You are pretty much screwed unless you have the pink milkshake in which case you are still screwed.

Time for a rebuild I have a feeling sadly. The other option is to see if you can find a replacement transmission and have it swapped out. You will just have to compare prices and see what works for you.

I paid just over $1000 to have my transmission rebuilt and built with high performance stuff locally. Figure a little less for a stock rebuild.

You can generally find junkyard transmissions for around $500.
I have a problem with my 22re auto trans. It went completely out, won't go in any gear, fluid looks great, but before I drop the tranny is there any thing else in your opinon that it could be other than the torque converter?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nick1980
I have a problem with my 22re auto trans. It went completely out, won't go in any gear, fluid looks great, but before I drop the tranny is there any thing else in your opinon that it could be other than the torque converter?
Doubtful it is the converter itself. If they go they generally leak but they very very rarely go out. They pretty much have to explode to go out.

Could be the flex plate broke but that will generally make quite a racket.

Is that transmission electronic or manual valve body? If electronic could make sure it is getting the correct signals.

Could also pull the oil pan and look around to see if anything looks out of place.

Sadly not a whole lot you can do without getting inside it.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 AM

its only slipped on me a few times over the last 6 months or so. i drove it around a bit yesterday after changing the oil and it seems like i'm getting more power to the ground. so hopefully the new fluid will keep it going for a bit. i have a feeling that if i keep getting slippage i'm trading the truck in for something newer. maybe a tundra.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

If it only slipped a few times then you might be able to extend it some. Just drive it till it dies in that case then sell it on craigslist. NEVER trade in a car in my experience, you get chump change and the car just goes to auction or the junk yard.

List a car on craigslist for the trade in value and it will generally sell very fast and it will generally go to someone that actually needs/wanted that car. Cuts out the middle men as well, just better all around. Everyone wins.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by maachine
its only slipped on me a few times over the last 6 months or so. i drove it around a bit yesterday after changing the oil and it seems like i'm getting more power to the ground. so hopefully the new fluid will keep it going for a bit. i have a feeling that if i keep getting slippage i'm trading the truck in for something newer. maybe a tundra.
Before you do all of this drain and fill the tranny at least 3 times between 50 mile intervals or so. I replaced my tranny fluid with Valvoline MaxxLife ATF and it shifts a lot smoother than when I first got it.

For good measure, add a bottle of Lubegard Red or Platinum to your fluid and see if you can tell any difference in about 75-100.

Another thing you can do to prolong the life of your tranny is add a Magnefine inline filter. Do a search on here and you will find a few good examples. I hope this helps!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:32 AM

That filter is for the cooling lines right? And thanks for the responses. Luckly i had to add 6 qts of fluid after draining it, so a lot of trans fluid got changed. The old stuff smelled a little burnt so it definitely needed a change. No metal shavings or chuncks, just that metallic paste that collects in every tranny ive opened up before.

Last edited by maachine; 09-13-2013 at 03:33 AM.