Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

tranny is almost off (literally)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny is almost off (literally)

hey all
we got the tranny to a pretty crucial/bad point to stop for the night. it is being held up by the floor jack and the from differential (just barely) the problem we are running in to now is that we dont know where to place the damn floor jack so it balances the tranny (with in a certain respect of course). the book says that we should just lower the tranny and pull it out but that seems wrong as the tranny was lowered and when it finally came, it was with in three inches of the ground (on the rear side of the tranny) and that cant be good.

any ideas? (and i dont have a trans jack, jsut a regular shop sized floor jack.)

thanks all
Old 02-12-2005, 06:15 PM

Talking Just don’t drop it on your face.

Never mind the floor jack just get under it laying down, head towards the front and bench it. Put your knees up and together and put the transfer case on them then lift the bell housing with your hands until it is free then slide it backwards. Then when it is free set it down it is not that heavy and I am not a big guy. It’s not fun but I have taken them out and put them in on my own. It shouldn’t be too hard to do it with a friend as long as you aren’t worried about getting dirty. Just don’t drop it on your face.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by neil_P_smith
Never mind the floor jack just get under it laying down, head towards the front and bench it. Put your knees up and together and put the transfer case on them then lift the bell housing with your hands until it is free then slide it backwards. Then when it is free set it down it is not that heavy and I am not a big guy. It’s not fun but I have taken them out and put them in on my own. It shouldn’t be too hard to do it with a friend as long as you aren’t worried about getting dirty. Just don’t drop it on your face.
I've done that by myself with a Jeep tranny before, takes a little muscle, but wont be too bad with 2 people.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:52 PM

I tip the scales at a whopping 140 and did the job with a floor jack and brute force. Put a 1'x1' 1" plywood sheet on the floor jack right under the palce the jack aand sheet as far back on the pan as you can. Slide back about 1/4 inch and unbolt the TC if AT slide the TC all the back into the bell and run a coat hanger from a top bolt hole to one of the bottom holes. The lower the jack slow as you are pulling both the jack and trannie back and out. If MT just start lowering and sliding back and out. You might have to tip the front of the motor a bit. For that I used a 2x4 and a sissor jack from the wife's car, placed right on the seem of the oil pan notch the one end of the 2x4 to prevent flatting out the lip on the oil pan. That kept my body out from under a tranny that tips more scale than I do.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try getting some ratcheting straps around the tranny for extra support. Just strap them to the jack itself.

-Wrench